Keep cars out of cities

On 7/20/2021 at 6:02 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

EVs won't, and can't, save us

Headline: Main Street closed to cars this weekend

Oh no, sounds like the whole street is being closed to cars, right?

Screen%20Shot%202021-07-07%20at%209.38.5

There has of course been an insanely vocal NIMBY minority acting like this will be the traffic apocalypse for the surrounding streets and kill the businesses on Main St because they think people spot stores to stop at while driving.

Also the detour will apply to cyclists and scooter riders, i they don't know it's better to go up to 2nd the official detour is steering them into a death trap on Neilson.

image.png

On 7/20/2021 at 8:02 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

EVs won't, and can't, save us

I really want an EV but the available options right now are junk lol. Im holding onto my cars as long as I can but I would really like a large SUV right now. All the EVs out there are a no go. The only SUVs im interested in now are the Hyundai Palisade and Kia Telluride. If i can find an electric equivalent, I'd go for it.

I like Teslas on paper but everyone I know with one gets a lot of headaches from their car. the QC on teslas are horrible.

It may be a while but really, we just need better EVs.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, foosh said:

I really want an EV but the available options right now are junk lol. Im holding onto my cars as long as I can but I would really like a large SUV right now. All the EVs out there are a no go. The only SUVs im interested in now are the Hyundai Palisade and Kia Telluride. If i can find an electric equivalent, I'd go for it.

I like Teslas on paper but everyone I know with one gets a lot of headaches from their car. the QC on teslas are horrible.

It may be a while but really, we just need better EVs.

The entire point is that the suburban giant SUV lifestyle doesn't stop killing the planet just because it's an electric giant SUV.

I bought an SUV because Michigan’s roads are about as smooth as the surface of an asteroid. Fuck it. This whole state is an affront to god and nature anyway. The only city you can live a halfway responsible lifestyle in is Ann Arbor, which has higher rents than most major coastal cities. And I’m from Flint, which is about as car-centric of a place as you’ll find anywhere in the world.

19 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

I bought an SUV because Michigan’s roads are about as smooth as the surface of an asteroid. Fuck it. This whole state is an affront to god and nature anyway. The only city you can live a halfway responsible lifestyle in is Ann Arbor, which has higher rents than most major coastal cities. And I’m from Flint, which is about as car-centric of a place as you’ll find anywhere in the world.

You can get SUVs with really great MPG these days!

Even though we are getting to the point of not needing such a creature, I’ll certainly get a fully electric Toyota Sienna as soon as one is available.

Minivan is true luxury

Just now, sblfilms said:

Even though we are getting to the point of not needing such a creature, I’ll certainly get a fully electric Toyota Sienna as soon as one is available.

Minivan is true luxury

The 2021 Sienna is like having your own Millenium Falcon.

On 7/22/2021 at 10:56 AM, Jason said:

The entire point is that the suburban giant SUV lifestyle doesn't stop killing the planet just because it's an electric giant SUV.

I just need a 7 seater car. Right now, I take 2 cars to places. Is electric not better?

Asphalt is a source of pollution.

106667196-15977101462020-08-18t001622z_2
WWW.CNBC.COM

As the climate changes, cities with heat-trapping asphalt and little tree cover have left residents sweltering and breathing in more air pollution.

There's just a ton about catering to cars that drives climate change and related problems that has nothing to do with what's coming out of the tailpipe, or whether there's a tailpipe at all.

Cars are a major problem in general but we live in a damned society where it's nearly impossible to easily live a low or car free life (especially with a family!) outside of the core of a few major cities and this is due to the policy choices we have made over the last century. And that these places are massively expensive is used as proof, not that they're popular and we should make more of them, but that they're for elites (which is only true insofar as the elite who actually can afford to live in these places are trying and largely have succeeded in walling off their garden through government policy, but that's not exclusive to these areas)