SUNDAY DRAMA! Neil Druckmann/Cory Balrog vs Jason Schreier goin' down on Twitter!

• 3 months later...

Because he is. He’s a self righteous, unprofessional hack. His “reporting” is purely headline and sensationalism driven. He basically solicits negative stories but does zero actual work to substantiate other than “hey, got any friends that feel this way too”. His absolutely embarrassing take on the Cyberpunk development is just the cherry on top. At least professional reporters will issue retractions from time to time. He just goes into full defensive douche bag mode. 

4 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Because he is. He’s a self righteous, unprofessional hack. His “reporting” is purely headline and sensationalism driven. He basically solicits negative stories but does zero actual work to substantiate other than “hey, got any friends that feel this way too”. His absolutely embarrassing take on the Cyberpunk development is just the cherry on top. At least professional reporters will issue retractions from time to time. He just goes into full defensive douche bag mode. 

I actually haven't kept up with the Cyberpunk stuff. What's going on there? Only thing I heard was that they went into crunch when they said they wouldn't or something. 

5 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

This. He also blocks people and then talks shit about them so they can’t defend themselves. 

3 hours ago, Brick said:

I actually haven't kept up with the Cyberpunk stuff. What's going on there? Only thing I heard was that they went into crunch when they said they wouldn't or something. 

Schrier wrote a piece on CDPR going into crunch, all other media outlets jumped on it. Turns out CDPR employees supposedly voted between delaying again or crunch and they voted to crunch. Schrier doubling down and being a douche instead of recognizing that the situation may not have been what he reported.

EDIT: Or they supposedly didn't

After the corporate apologists had their attempt at damage control, other CDPR sources contacted Schreier to say that they were never given the opportunity to vote on whether to have overtime or another delay.  They were told in an email that there would be mandatory OT to meet the announced release date.

• Thanks 1

This is the platonic form of a cold take. I have to look up the spelling of Schreier's name every time I mention him and even I know the dude's a total baby, but here Calandra is acting like he's duty bound to martyr himself by bringing such shocking allegations to light. Apparently the only people who can outdo Schreier's histrionics are his critics.

20 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I have no opinion here other than that I find this tweet HILARIOUS...

A quarter of more than a decade in a profession, I guess, sounds cooler than saying a few years.

After breezing through that guy's Twitter, he comes off as someone who REALLY needs a mental break from social media. He is in full defense mode, "has an answer for everything", and should probably do something more productive or relaxing with his time. 

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Those people are also weird nerds :p

Ok..... it still speaks to his character that he goes out of his way to block people on the internet without giving them a chance to respond to whatever he decides to say about them. He’s another toxic guy in the gamer world. 

7 minutes ago, johnny said:

Ok..... it still speaks to his character that he goes out of his way to block people on the internet without giving them a chance to respond to whatever he decides to say about them. He’s another toxic guy in the gamer world. 

They have their own platform that they can use to their hearts' content to defend themselves. I see no issue here whatsoever.

Just now, Emperor Diocletian II said:

They have their own platform that they can use to their hearts' content to defend themselves. I see no issue here whatsoever.

He can do what he wants. But if he posts something on twitter, somebody responds with a counterpoint, he blocks them and then responds to what they said when they’re unable to, it’s shitty behavior. He can do whatever he wants with his page but he can also be criticized for it 🤷‍♂️

JS doesn’t owe you fucking shit on Twitter. He doesn’t need to attempt to engage with the random weirdos who respond to him. Good for him for blocking them. 

Got an issue with his reporting? Let’s see the counter information. 

When presented with “JS is actually toxic,” vs “JS is probably a net positive for people working in games,” I know which one I’m leaning toward. 

2 hours ago, johnny said:

He can do what he wants. But if he posts something on twitter, somebody responds with a counterpoint, he blocks them and then responds to what they said when they’re unable to, it’s shitty behavior. He can do whatever he wants with his page but he can also be criticized for it 🤷‍♂️

I don't understand how anyone could muster the energy to possibly give a shit about this particular behavior of his, especially when a decent amount of the people he's taken shots at lie to him and grind their employees into the fucking dirt because the overwhelming majority of gamers give absolutely zero shits about how the sausage is made. 

2 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Ex-fucking-actly.

10 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

He should respond to every troll or naysayer by doing otherwise his character says he's a buttface.

Obviously not, he’s under no obligation to respond to anybody. Literally the only thing I don’t like is what I already said. I’ve already spent way too much time talking about Jason Schreier than is needed. 

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

JS doesn’t owe you fucking shit on Twitter. He doesn’t need to attempt to engage with the random weirdos who respond to him. Good for him for blocking them. 

Got an issue with his reporting? Let’s see the counter information. 

When presented with “JS is actually toxic,” vs “JS is probably a net positive for people working in games,” I know which one I’m leaning toward. 

“net positive” is such a garbage term in the context of a “reporter”. Their job is to put in the work to deliver truth and facts. Not be a “net positive” Where hopefully they get more right than wrong. Be a fucking real journalist. Put in the actual work to get a full story. And if you get something wrong have the balls to admit it and amend the story. He does none of these things. He’s a joke and his creepy followers are a joke. 

1 minute ago, Mercury33 said:

“net positive” is such a garbage term in the context of a “reporter”. Their job is to put in the work to deliver truth and facts. Not be a “net positive” Where hopefully they get more right than wrong. Be a fucking real journalist. Put in the actual work to get a full story. And if you get something wrong have the balls to admit it and amend the story. He does none of these things. He’s a joke and his creepy followers are a joke. 

Yeah, but if the counter to his report is just management at these shitty companies talking to amiable outlets willing to carry water for them, then it's shit journalism.

Gaming journalism is a joke because it's nearly entirely based on the PR departments of private and publicly held corporations. The only reason these companies are as toxic as they are is because they've had decades of nobody calling them out for the shit they put their employees through and a willfully ignorant fan base.

If his fans are creepy, what do you make of the weird nerds going wild defending the honor of an $8b company run by a guy worth hundreds of millions?

7 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

What constitutes a “full story?”

What did he “get wrong” that he didn’t correct? 

If “net positive” is a garbage term to describe a journalist whose job is tO rEpOrT tRuTh AnD fAcTs, what about the term “toxic?”

So I'm very much against the exploitation of workers, and by all accounts the VG industry is among the worst, I've had friends in the industry and it sounds incredibly stressful.

Having said that this Jason guy always comes off as a colossal douche with his 'holier than thou' smarminess.

He might be taken more seriously and be given more respect if he went with the 'honey' instead of the 'vinegar' approach.

I just find it embarrassing that Jason Shreier is viewed as one of the premier games journalists when the quality of his writing is so poor.  Even laying aside the fact that he's a pissy little baby that takes to the comments in his own articles to defend every perceived slight or disagreement, he's just a really mediocre writer rushing into scoops with abandon.

4 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

What constitutes a “full story?”

What did he “get wrong” that he didn’t correct? 

If “net positive” is a garbage term to describe a journalist whose job is tO rEpOrT tRuTh AnD fAcTs, what about the term “toxic?”

TrIgGeReD

relax fan boy. If 1 and 2 are serious questions then I can’t help you.

I didn’t say it was a garbage way to describe a journalist. You can describe any journalist any way you want. It’s a garbage STANDARD to hold a journalist too. 

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

TrIgGeReD

relax fan boy. If 1 and 2 are serious questions then I can’t help you.

I didn’t say it was a garbage way to describe a journalist. You can describe any journalist any way you want. It’s a garbage STANDARD to hold a journalist too. 

Lol I don’t hold any allegiance to JS, I can’t even spell the man’s name correctly. 

They’re as serious of questions as you are for bringing those up as points against him. 

I think the second question is rather applicable, though, as people are like HE WONT EVER ADMIT TO BEING WRONG, and yet never seem to offer any specifics about what he’s wrong about. And in fact, in this case they jumped on him and were like SEE THERE WAS A VOTE AND THEY ALL WANTED TO WORK, and when that turned out to be false I certainly didn’t hear a bunch of those people being like “wow, I was wrong and it was irresponsible for me to jump to such a conclusion based on faulty reporting.” 

If you’ve got actual stuff that shows he doubles down on actual false information, I’m willing to question his ethics as a journalist. But I haven’t seen that. 

58 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Lol I don’t hold any allegiance to JS, I can’t even spell the man’s name correctly. 

They’re as serious questions as you are for bringing those up as points against him. 

I think the second question is rather applicable, though, as people are like HE WONT EVER ADMIT TO BEING WRONG, and yet never seem to offer any specifics about what he’s wrong about. And in fact, in this case they jumped on him and were like SEE THERE WAS A VOTE AND THEY ALL WANTED TO WORK, and when that turned out to be false I certainly didn’t hear a bunch of those people being like “wow, I was wrong at it was irresponsible for me to jump to such a conclusion based on faulty reporting.” 

If you’ve got actual stuff that shows he doubles down on actual false information, I’m willing to question his ethics as a journalist. But I haven’t seen that. 

Totally a Jason Schreier ass kissing post. Try again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

They’re as serious of questions as you are for bringing those up as points against him. 

I think the second question is rather applicable, though, as people are like HE WONT EVER ADMIT TO BEING WRONG, and yet never seem to offer any specifics about what he’s wrong about. And in fact, in this case they jumped on him and were like SEE THERE WAS A VOTE AND THEY ALL WANTED TO WORK, and when that turned out to be false I certainly didn’t hear a bunch of those people being like “wow, I was wrong and it was irresponsible for me to jump to such a conclusion based on faulty reporting.” 

Why do you assume Game Informers sources inside CDPR are lying, while Jason Schreiers are not?

Or that maybe a large percentage of people were asked to vote or give opinions on it and not all.  He simply asked a few of his existing sources as his "investigative" jounalism.  Should we ask, do "nearly" a dozen people speaking for 1,100 people always portray a real accurate story and summary of what actually happened? He actively seeks out those that will tell the story he wants to tell.

People are so quick to take everything Jason says as gospel while quickly dismissing any other reporting of the story that doesn't match up with his.

14 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Why do you assume Game Informers sources inside CDPR are lying, while Jason Schreiers are not?

Or that maybe a large percentage of people were asked to vote or give opinions on it and not all.  He simply asked a few of his existing sources as his "investigative" jounalism.  Should we ask, do "nearly" a dozen people speaking for 1,100 people always portray a real accurate story and summary of what actually happened? He actively seeks out those that will tell the story he wants to tell.

People are so quick to take everything Jason says as gospel while quickly dismissing any other reporting of the story that doesn't match up with his.

This is a very likely scenario.

JS asks some low level employees and they say no choice given, but meanwhile behind the scenes the people 1 or 2 levels higher did have a meeting and decided crunch vs delay. Both reports are techincally correct but missing important details. Much easier to democratize 20 team leads vs 1,100 individuals.

11 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

This is a very likely scenario.

JS asks some low level employees and they say no choice given, but meanwhile behind the scenes the people 1 or 2 levels higher did have a meeting and decided crunch vs delay. Both reports are techincally correct but missing important details. Much easier to democratize 20 team leads vs 1,100 individuals.

That is likely the scenario, and that's why it's a shitty thing to do. Nobody should be forced to work so much overtime and CDPR isn't some scrappy developer that can't afford to give their employees a good work/life balance. They're the largest game developer/puboisher in Europe.