What are this generation's sleeper hits and hidden gems (so far)?

crispy4000

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I’ll give you Katana Zero and mayyyve Celeste but I’m not feeling Hollow Knight with the sleeper label :P

Looks like it sold 2.8 million copies. I didn't realize it did so well, and I concur it does not fit sleeper in that case. I'm happy to have been wrong in this case!

Call of Juarez Gunslinger

Kentucky Route Zero

Warframe (this deserves a little explanation because the game is pretty huge, but it's probably the most quietly huge game I can think of)

FFXIV (Same as Warframe)

I can’t really gauge sleepers anymore. 

I think the new Hot Shots is a really good game of golf and not sure if anyone bought it. 

Did Outer Wilds sell well? 

Obra Dinn.

Disco for sure but at least the people I follow seemed to talk a lot about it. 

I feel many indies are for me because I don't hear about them and then everyone's talking about it/discovering it. Like Dead Cells for me I knew nothing about until the day it released. 

Concrete Genie's a hidden gem and a relaxing feel-good game.

Untitled Goose Game seems like the definition of a sleeper hit. There was no advertising or campaign for it; it was just discovered and became big over time. I don't know how much was known about Undertale, but that seems like one that sneaked up and became very popular, particularly among younger demographics.

7 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Cult hits:

Vanquish

Deadly Premonition

Dragon’s Dogma

Alpha Protocol

Besides Alpha Protocol, all of the above have been re-released recently. 

This seems like a technicality.

That's like saying, "Mafia!" because the remaster is coming out, although I feel it's a better fit because if it does end up getting a huge following it's because everyone missed it the first time.

“So far?” Next gen begins in several months. Not sure how many more sleeper hits we’re gonna see.

Though, man, with the internet the way it is now too, I’m not even sure we get sleeper hits any more. If something is good it explodes pretty quickly. rarely is a game slowly discovered by the gaming community and gets more and more popular until it’s like the best game lots of people played, but nobody talked about. 

There are plenty of games that have come out that went underplayed and never became the hit they maybe could/should have. 

I'd say as a whole, the Battle Royale genre came out of nowhere as a big hit. Who would have expected Fortnite, PUBG, Apex Legends, and the COD Blackout/Warzone to become some of the largest played and most streamed games of this generation?

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Though, man, with the internet the way it is now too, I’m not even sure we get sleeper hits any more. If something is good it explodes pretty quickly. rarely is a game slowly discovered by the gaming community and gets more and more popular until it’s like the best game lots of people played, but nobody talked about.

Yes and no.  There’s a lot of great indies out there that don’t see a huge swell of attention because they don’t become an ‘it’ thing.

Lovely Planet and Android Assault Cactus are two that come to my mind.

Just now, crispy4000 said:

Yes and no.  There’s a lot of great indies out there that don’t see a huge groundswell of attention because they don’t become an ‘it’ thing.

Lovely Planet and Android Assault Cactus are two that come to my mind.

Yeah, but that’s not a “sleeper hit”. More of a cult hit. One could say under appreciated. A sleeper hit by definition is something that grew in popularity over time. A slow growing burn as opposed to a huge explosion. 

5 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Yeah, but that’s not a “sleeper hit”. More of a cult hit. One could say under appreciated. A sleeper hit by definition is something that grew in popularity over time. A slow growing burn as opposed to a huge explosion. 

Why I titled the thread sleeper hits and hidden gems.  

I'd agree with others here that the Battle Royal genre emerged as a bit of a slow burn to start.  Especially if we go back to DayZ.  

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Why I titled the thread sleeper hits and hidden gems.  

I'd agree with others here that the Battle Royal genre emerged as a bit of a slow burn to start.  Especially if we go back to DayZ.  

You’re correct, those would be hidden gems. 

Yeah, I’d agree with the battle royal model. It was a slow burn until PUBG. But I don’t remember it’s release. Though that grew the genre. Fortnight’s BR exploded, and since then BRs have the ability to explode onto the scene, even if they get overtaken by Fortnight again. 

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

You’re correct, those would be hidden gems. 

Yeah, I’d agree with the battle royal model. It was a slow burn until PUBG. But I don’t remember it’s release. Though that grew the genre. Fortnight’s BR exploded, and since then BRs have the ability to explode onto the scene, even if they get overtaken by Fortnight again. 

PUBG was in open beta for a long time, and was very popular before it actually released. 
edit: early access would probably be a better description

20 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

PUBG was in open beta for a long time, and was very popular before it actually released. 
edit: early access would probably be a better description

I know it became popular, I just don’t remember it being an explosion of popularity as soon as it went early access. 

14 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I know it became popular, I just don’t remember it being an explosion of popularity as soon as it went early access. 

From Wikipedia 

Battlegrounds made US$11 million in the first three days of its Windows early access release in March 2017.[164] By the second week of April, the game had sold over one million copies, with a peak player count of 89,000,[165] SuperData Research estimated that the game's April sales exceeded US$34 million, putting it as one of the top 10 highest grossing revenue games for the month and exceeding revenue from Overwatch and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.[166] By May 2017, the game had sold over two million copies, with total gross revenues estimated at US$60 million.[167][168] Within three months of its early access release, it had surpassed over five million copies sold,[169] and Bluehole announced it had exceeded US$100 million in sale revenue.[170] Battlegrounds reached this four million mark faster than Minecraft, which took over a year to reach similar sales figures while it was in its paid-beta development period.