What are this generation's sleeper hits and hidden gems (so far)?

crispy4000

Recent game that is absolutely a hidden gem: Underhero. It’s a damn shame hardly anybody is talking about this game, it’s going to be in my top 5 this year probably and it only has like 3 reviews or something on metacritic.

It has great art, a really fun and interesting story, it’s funny, and it’s the best paper mario game since thousands year door. Check it out!

Dex

Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories

Dreamfall Chapters

Elex

Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise

Ghost of a Tale

GreedFall

Judgment

Little Nightmares

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden

My Time at Portia

Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon

Outward

A Plague Tale: Innocence

Remothered: Tormented Fathers

Republique

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

Sparklite

Strange Brigade

The Talos Principle

Valkyria Chronicles 4

Vampyr

Victor Vran: Overkill Edition

Zenith

Zombi

Off the top of my head, just games I thought were fantastic in their own right but had rough edges that kept them from really going anywhere:

Prey

Hotline Miami 2

Zombi

The Evil Within

The Surge

Those were all highly memorable to me, warts and all. Hotline Miami 2 and Zombi especially were so much better than I expected based on their reception.

21 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Here's one from me.  Simple, but effective at what is does and is a blast on the whole.  All the level design is all oriented vertically, which was a neat touch.

Deadly Tower of Monsters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGEn5ZkwlcA

Thanks for the recommendation, that looks awesome and I've never heard of it.  On sale for $4.49 on PS4 at the moment so I'm going to grab it.

55 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

DO IT!!!

Vita has lots of hidden gems! And Wii U, presumably.

Technically the joke should be any vita game is a hidden gem since nobody played it. :P

Realistically a few imo (and some of these are on ps4 and were skipped):

Tearaway (Vita version is somewhat different then the ps4 version and was skipped over by many)

Gravity Rush (but i think everybody knows about this now)

Grand Kingdom (The spiritual sequel to Grand Knights History that most never played due to it being stuck in japan)
Lost Dimension (Pretty good SRPG that took hints from Valkyria Chronicles)

Toukiden & Lord of Apocalypse (I know these were mostly skipped over as meh monster hunter clones but both were much better than given credit for)
Natural Doctrine (Good SRPG)

Summon Night 6
Any of the Yomawari games (Yomawari: Night Alone or Yomawari: Midnight Shadows, both are on switch)

Just a few that aren't the more well known titles but I could question how many really gave games like Unit13 a shot. =/

-edit-

For WiiU the only hidden gem left is Pikmin 3 since everything else good has been ported or is Mario 3D World.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Toukiden & Lord of Apocalypse (I know these were mostly skipped over as meh monster hunter clones but both were much better than given credit for

They have these on steam but sounds like it's a kinda crappy port (seems to be par for the course for TECMO)

30 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They have these on steam but sounds like it's a kinda crappy port (seems to be par for the course for TECMO)

Toukiden had a re-release (Toukiden: Kiwami) you can also play on PS4 which isn't a bad place to play it (This is what the PC port is based on). It also has a sequel but they went open world with it that kind of changes a lot about the game. Lord of Apocalypse is only PSP & Vita, it was an early launch title that came out on both. 

I haven't been a very prolific gamer this generation, but Lone Echo on Oculus is one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time. HL:A is a better made game in nearly every way, but the locomotion in Lone Echo made it really special and engrossing in a way unlike any other game ever. Playing through Alyx I was constantly aware of my IRL physical space, because I always wanted to take one more IRL step than I could. With Lone Echo, I could move freely about without encountering my IRL limits at all, unless I became tangled in the cord.

11 hours ago, chakoo said:

Toukiden had a re-release (Toukiden: Kiwami) you can also play on PS4 which isn't a bad place to play it (This is what the PC port is based on). It also has a sequel but they went open world with it that kind of changes a lot about the game. Lord of Apocalypse is only PSP & Vita, it was an early launch title that came out on both. 

There's no way I'd play it on the PS4 but from what I understand if you play the second one there's really no reason to play the first. Also, they're both $60 for some reason.