Rumor: Sony and Team Silent helming reboot of Silent Hill and revival of Silent Hills

heydude93

Our first source, who we’ve come to trust well, indicates that Keiichiro Toyama (director and writer of the original 1999 Silent Hill) and Akira Yamaoka (composer for the majority of the franchise) are also returning alongside Masahiro Ito. The trio will helm a “soft reboot” of the Silent Hill series, possibly just called Silent Hill. SIE Japan Studio, which possibly includes team members from “Project Siren,” the group behind Siren: Blood Curse for the PlayStation 3, will be behind its development in some capacity (either in full or in part). Our source states that this title has been in the works for about a year. Our second source — which has no connection to the first — was aware of Ito’s involvement in a new Silent Hill title and informed us of that information some time ago.

The second Silent Hill title referenced in previous rumors is still being worked out at the moment, but it’s looking as if it very well could be Silent Hills, Hideo Kojima’s famously canceled title. According to our first source, Sony is working to patch up the relationship between Kojima Productions and Konami in order to resurrect the game due to the amount of buzz and continued demand for it five years after its cancellation; our second source shared this same information with us in the past. We can now report on it with some confidence in its legitimacy.

Honestly this is the kind of thing Microsoft should've done. If MS landed a the Kojima Silent Hills game as an exclusive, that would've been the mic drop they needed for Series X.

It's great that MS has a bunch of studios working on things but they need one that makes non-Xbox gamers perk up their ears. Or whine and complain, as is common in the Sony camp when they "lose" an exclusive.

11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I've never finished a Silent Hill game. Played the first two, bought the 3rd and never even played a second of it. Listened to the soundtrack that came with the game though.

Well there's your problem. 2 is well worth a few playthroughs to see the bigger picture and how the town is in itself a character and not just a backdrop. 

13 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The games are too archaic to go back to now. I'll most likely never play them again.

Yeah. Even though P.T. showed Capcom how to make RE7, they would almost have to follow RE7's template.

RE7 didn't do "outside" very well though. Silent Hill would have to be a semi-open world, so they'd have to find a balance between slow/deliberately clunky movement and a faster style that could border on action-y. If they lean too much on one side or the other it could ruin the whole thing.

• 1 month later...

Resetera has lots of insider info: https://www.resetera.com/threads/rumor-sony-rebooting-silent-hill-series-update-new-details-further-hint-at-this-check-threadmarks.174815/page-40#post-30914988

"The only thing I can 100% confirm is the SH reboot with Toyama, Ito and Yamaoka. It'll be announced in the next few months."

"PS5 exclusive since it's developped internally by Japan Studio. Might come to PC a few years later but I highly doubt it."

• 4 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

And if it was PS5 exclusive and real AND continuing in Pachinko form you would be glad as well?

I mean if it was a PS5 Pachinko game, that'd be real special. But I don't really care whether the Pachinko machines exist or not so long as they don't butcher the video games. Poor Silent Hill can't take much more. Silent Hill is in its own version of Silent Hill where modern-day Konami runs it.