~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

Different strokes. My best friend absolutely hated working from home. He thrives on the interaction and feels like he's more productive in the office. I have two roommates who made a makeshift office in the living room, one of them would even get dolled up every day as if she was actually going into the office. I had one roommate who realized that if he was working remote, who gives a shit about where he actually is, so he spent 5 months traveling and living out of his car. One of my roommates worked remotely pre-pandemic anyway, so nothing changed.

19 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

point I hadn't thought of until now, but if you hated roe/Griswold/etc for "making up" the right to privacy, you should in theory hate this ruling. At least privacy you can infer from the right to be secure in your person and papers! This one is whole cloth bullshit

CDC gonna bring us communism.

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Jason said:
_120646361_gettyimages-1341613072.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

Some 65 container ships are stuck outside the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, amid trade bottlenecks.

Yeah it's really really bad. Even if a ship gets unloaded it can take a long time for containers to just even leave the port. A product I've been following that should be shipping out to customers as soon as the company gets their container has been stuck a really long time. 

-edit-

For some dates, they had their container loaded up and sent out Aug 2/3 in china and expected it the week of Aug 23. Here we are Sep 21 and they still are waiting on it. The container was discharged last week but still is stuck at the port.

Items for christmas this year are going to be scarce as ***k. Start buying what you need now!

3500.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Port complex of Los Angeles and Long Beach, already the busiest in the US, has seen major traffic this week as imports boom

Another article on the port situation. If you haven't started/completed your christmas shopping already...

You Are Already Dead Fist Of The North Star GIF

• 2 months later...

The economy’s ‘booming’, and everyone’s depressed/pissed off/going insane.

If the rosiest forecasts come to fruition, fourth-quarter growth will be the strongest since the third quarter of 2020, which itself marked the fastest growth since at least 1947.

It’s even more insane than the above news story makes it out to be.

Meanwhile, crime is increasing at record rates and polls show 70% of the country thinks we’re on the wrong track.

Note to mainstream economists: economic growth and happiness are two different things.  Add a chapter about it in your 101 text books, before the mob comes for you.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Economists are simply unable to conceptualize anything that doesn't fit neatly within the x/y axes.

More accurately, we don’t care :p 

8 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Good to see more economists coming around to this conclusion. At least in Canada, the Conservatives are trying to put the blame for 4.7% inflation on the government...despite the fact that the entire developed world is seeing inflation, much of it at even higher levels. 

The inflation is being driven by a number of factors, but government actions are far and away the largest contributor.

"I think that's not right," he said during an interview on CTV's Question Period airing Sunday. "In fact, what the stimulus did was to keep the economy from going into a deep hole in which we would have experienced persistent deflation."

Note the person even says they were trying to prevent deflation. What are governments doing to stave off deflation that doesn’t result in inflation when they overshoot? It isn’t as though there is just computer program they have where they set deflation/inflation to 0.00 if they just want a steady state :p 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

We get story after story of corporations raising prices because they want to and use inflation as an excuse, then we turn around and measure inflation based on product price increases. Fantastic system we got here. 

I mean, for most businesses that is actually the case. But if you go far enough down the supply chain, the only reason prices go up is because someone raised their rates because they can.

8 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I mean, for most businesses that is actually the case. But if you go far enough down the supply chain, the only reason prices go up is because someone raised their rates because they can.

"A dollar doesn't go as far as it used to."

Funny; it sure seems like they still make it all the way to Bezos' wallet. 

On 12/11/2021 at 7:57 AM, Fizzzzle said:

This is not true. If you have a scenario where raw/unfinished materials used in your business become more scarce, it doesn’t require those prices to increase to necessitate your own price increases. This is especially true for industries with low margins and high fixed costs.

There certainly are businesses increasing prices just for funsies, but there are plenty who are stuck having to charge more per unit just to keep the doors open because they simply can’t meet the demand for their goods because they can’t get product from their suppliers.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is not true. If you have a scenario where raw/unfinished materials used in your business become more scarce, it doesn’t require those prices to increase to necessitate your own price increases. This is especially true for industries with low margins and high fixed costs.

There certainly are businesses increasing prices just for funsies, but there are plenty who are stuck having to charge more per unit just to keep the doors open because they simply can’t meet the demand for their goods because they can’t get product from their suppliers.

That is something I didn't consider. If I'm the only carpenter in town and I can't get wood, I would increase the rates for my labor because I have to