~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

"Companies got back to normal much faster when we decided to sacrifice our workers compared to other nations! But please ignore the 4-6x higher mortality."

US isn’t even 2x France, UK, Germany, or Italy…

8 hours ago, sblfilms said:

US isn’t even 2x France, UK, Germany, or Italy…

I posted something not too long ago showing that US excess COVID deaths were likely 1.5x higher than reported, meaning up to 6x higher than Canada per capita. However that's likely shrunk a bit. I believe the official count is around 3x more per capita.

This is fun. There's are still people that could totally use a stimulus right now, especially with the child tax credit not having been extended. Massachusetts is stepping up and means testing the ever loving hell out of their own $500 stimulus checks.

F2LEJJI3JJKCGGS6WQVXDGAU3I-61f055a245410
WWW.BOSTON.COM

“This program will support those workers who served our communities, especially early in the pandemic."

My absolutely favorite bonkers part of this stimulus is that there's an honest to god minimum income requirement. Anybody that makes less than $12,750/yr will not qualify. Were you homeless, unable to work, and bouncing from shelter to shelter or living out of your car back in 2020? Fuck you, you get nothing.

On 2/9/2022 at 11:56 PM, Ghost_MH said:

This is fun. There's are still people that could totally use a stimulus right now, especially with the child tax credit not having been extended. Massachusetts is stepping up and means testing the ever loving hell out of their own $500 stimulus checks.

F2LEJJI3JJKCGGS6WQVXDGAU3I-61f055a245410
WWW.BOSTON.COM

“This program will support those workers who served our communities, especially early in the pandemic."

My absolutely favorite bonkers part of this stimulus is that there's an honest to god minimum income requirement. Anybody that makes less than $12,750/yr will not qualify. Were you homeless, unable to work, and bouncing from shelter to shelter or living out of your car back in 2020? Fuck you, you get nothing.

God forbid you help people that might not fully need the help.

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Media certainly drives a lot of economic sentiment, but I don’t think these things are at odds with one another.

I think the “getting better/worse” is the key issue. I’m seeing significantly more complaints amongst friends about rising food, energy, childcare, and housing costs, even when their personal finances remain relatively solid. If the trajectory remained the same, they won’t feel good about their personal financial situation in 18-24 months.

Gas prices aren't even that high, accounting for inflation we're still like a dollar cheaper than back in 2008, and i have zero sympathy for all these idiots who went out and bought trucks and SUVs again like that surge in prices never happened, lol.  With prices as high as they are though you'll see a lot of wells being activated again and at a pretty fast clip as everyone tries to get in on the highs.

3 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

Gas prices aren't even that high, accounting for inflation we're still like a dollar cheaper than back in 2008, and i have zero sympathy for all these idiots who went out and bought trucks and SUVs again like that surge in prices never happened, lol.  With prices as high as they are though you'll see a lot of wells being activated again and at a pretty fast clip as everyone tries to get in on the highs.

Didn’t the saudis buy up a lot of smaller drillers or at least their mineral rights? Or just try to push them out of business?

38 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Didn’t the saudis buy up a lot of smaller drillers or at least their mineral rights? Or just try to push them out of business?

They pushed a lot of the smaller ones out of business but they didn't buy them, and even probably hurt themselves more than US drillers, right now they're failing to keep prices low enough even with Russia's help, so the medium and smaller producers are going to start cranking again, a lot of which is still from pandemic demand dropping out.  We probably won't see them going nuts like almost a decade ago cause 30 dollar a barrel oil isn't good for them.

4 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

Gas for cars is only one aspect of energy prices for consumers. Natural gas and electricity prices are also rising. Regardless of whether they are at some historic high, the increases obviously eat into the household income in non-trivial ways.

8 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

If people were able to rationally account for gas prices then back in 2008 people wouldn't have been selling Hummers and shit at a loss that could never possibly be even broke-even on with the Priuses they were swapping the Hummers for.

12 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Gas for cars is only one aspect of energy prices for consumers. Natural gas and electricity prices are also rising. Regardless of whether they are at some historic high, the increases obviously eat into the household income in non-trivial ways.

No shit, natural gas is in the same boat, its a lot cheaper than it was a little over a decade ago, lol.  Price will stabilize once wells come back now that its more profitable.  The people getting hosed right now are the ones on market rate plans.

43 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

No shit, natural gas is in the same boat, its a lot cheaper than it was a little over a decade ago, lol.  Price will stabilize once wells come back now that its more profitable.  The people getting hosed right now are the ones on market rate plans.

What does it matter if it is cheaper than 10 years ago? If you energy costs went up $100 a month, they went up $100 a month. And that is just one facet of rising prices that people are feeling. Maybe you haven’t felt any effects, but many obviously are and hand waving that away with “not historic highs!!!” is pretty silly.

21 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

What does it matter if it is cheaper than 10 years ago? If you energy costs went up $100 a month, they went up $100 a month. And that is just one facet of rising prices that people are feeling. Maybe you haven’t felt any effects, but many obviously are and hand waving that away with “not historic highs!!!” is pretty silly.

You're right people are too dumb to understand their choices.

2 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

You're right people are too dumb to understand their choices.

What choices are people making that are leading to non-trivial increases in the categories I mentioned?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I’m basically at a point where I’m not looking to buy anything new, and hoping my current phone/pc/consoles keep working so I don’t have to replace anything. 

I just built my wife a new PC, but thankfully it was "mid-range" so all the parts were easy to find (AMD 5600X, GTX 1660 Super, etc). That will last her for many years as her Sims 4 + browsing machine, especially since she's moving up from my old 2500k and 780ti machine from like, 2013.

However, my main concern (for myself) is that my car is getting older (2013 Ford Focus Ti) and we only have the one vehicle (and rely on it). I was planning on waiting until it died and then paying for a used Corolla or something...but with the used market the way it is, it's not easy to find something you can buy within a week. So now I have to think about getting a car ahead of time, and it would likely need to be new or newer, which means a big amount of money. 

I’ve been trying to start a firm to do laser upgrades on Cinema projectors but we went to launch right as Covid hit. Our manufacturing partner is in Shenzhen. I was texting with my main contact there and he was telling me about the order to remain in your home. He has a special needs child and it is really hard on the child not being able to do their normal routine. 

That is a story I don’t believe has been told very well either, the toll of the Covid era on special needs families.

29 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I just built my wife a new PC, but thankfully it was "mid-range" so all the parts were easy to find (AMD 5600X, GTX 1660 Super, etc). That will last her for many years as her Sims 4 + browsing machine, especially since she's moving up from my old 2500k and 780ti machine from like, 2013.

However, my main concern (for myself) is that my car is getting older (2013 Ford Focus Ti) and we only have the one vehicle (and rely on it). I was planning on waiting until it died and then paying for a used Corolla or something...but with the used market the way it is, it's not easy to find something you can buy within a week. So now I have to think about getting a car ahead of time, and it would likely need to be new or newer, which means a big amount of money. 

Yeah, my 08 Elantra barely has 100k miles on it, and I’ve been trying to take care of it, but that’s a fairly old car at this point. If something happens to it, I might end up just getting an e-bike and seeing how long I could get by with just that. 

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

2012 Lincoln MKZ hybrid still going strong. I dunno if it died what I'd do though. I am working from home but my mom would need a car. It sucks Lincoln doesn't make sedans anymore. I guess a crossover would be nice. My car is horrible in the snow but with gas prices the way they are. It seems to be a trooper though so hopefully it lacks until things get better.

Edit: looks like Lincoln has a plug in hybrid. Rather go full EV but I can live with a plug in crossover for the time being.

59 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

2012 Lincoln MKZ hybrid still going strong. I dunno if it died what I'd do though. I am working from home but my mom would need a car. It sucks Lincoln doesn't make sedans anymore. I guess a crossover would be nice. My car is horrible in the snow but with gas prices the way they are. It seems to be a trooper though so hopefully it lacks until things get better.

Edit: looks like Lincoln has a plug in hybrid. Rather go full EV but I can live with a plug in crossover for the time being.

Yeah my plan was to go at least hybrid for my next car...but that doesn't seem super likely at this point with prices the way they are.