What are you playing today?

1 minute ago, Dre801 said:

Committed myself to playing some old bargain bin games I bought years ago.   I'm playing Homefront: The Revolution.   Wish me luck.  Truth be told, so far it's not as bad as I was lead to believe. . .so far.

I actually heard this was pretty decent. The same team that saved Dead Island 2 and made it an amazing game was brought in to fix that one.

I’ve been dogsitting for most of the last week. I brought my Switch and iPad, but nothing on the Switch is really doing it for me right now, and on the iPad I keep falling back into the same few games I always play on that: Hearthstone, Slay the Spire, and most recently Into the Breach. I’m going to try to do more gigs like this in the future, which is why I’m looking at gaming laptops. It would also replace my stupid desktop that’s always giving me trouble. Basically I just want to play BG3 and I haven’t been able to for a while. :p

Fuck the time limit is wayyyyy too short for the third “kings” fight in the coliseum match. I finally beat it but there isn’t even a reason there should be a time limit on that match let alone one that short for that amount of sponge. On the plus side that is the first time I had any issue with this game at all.

edit; Yeah something is off with the balance there with the timer or they want you to do something specific they don’t make clear cuz the next fight then was a breeze, weird

• Sad 1

After having it on my Switch for well over a month, I tried out F Zero 99 today and basically Nintendo need to just make a new F Zero game already. It doesn’t need to be big budget, but it just has to happen. Same for Wave Race, same for 1080 Snowboarding, same for Excitebike, same for Pilot Wings…there’s just too many IPs that have not been given justice in the last 15 years. 

I gave the Witcher 3 one last shot. The controls are shit and so is the combat. No sense of impact and the controls are way too sensitive. Yes, you can probably change that but as default I have no idea how anyone could play it. I despise Geralt's voice actor and despise the music. 

DELETED FOREVER. 

• True 1

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

I gave the Witcher 3 one last shot. The controls are shit and so is the combat. No sense of impact and the controls are way too sensitive. Yes, you can probably change that but as default I have no idea how anyone could play it. I despise Geralt's voice actor and despise the music. 

DELETED FOREVER. 

Witcher 3 and the entire Witcher franchise is so fucking overrated.

• True 1

Chants of Sennaar - saw this pop up on a couple end of year lists and was instantly intrigued. 

It’s a cool concept where you’re trying to decipher this glyph based language, which will in turn help you solve puzzles. At least, that’s what it seems like. So far, I made it through a short intro section, then spent an hour running around in a circle, unable to make any discernible progress. :p

I think this one might require a lot of screenshots and notes. 

Been playing YS9 to catch up to my switch save and then resume my play through. I booted it up on switch to remember what it looked like there, and it is as bad as I remembered but I did not remember that there is no way that is running even close to 30fps. Oof. Playing on the deck with the console settings you get a lot more detail with the AO and shadowing and it looks nice, and of course native res. Playing it at 45fps locked in the 90hz container is such an improvement. 

I really enjoyed it besides how it ran on switch so I’m glad I decided to rebuy it as much as I hate starting games over usually. While I’m also looking forward to returning to sea in Ys10 I do really dig the city/prison set up and mystery here as well! These games are just so much fun to play.

7 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Chants of Sennaar - saw this pop up on a couple end of year lists and was instantly intrigued. 

It’s a cool concept where you’re trying to decipher this glyph based language, which will in turn help you solve puzzles. At least, that’s what it seems like. So far, I made it through a short intro section, then spent an hour running around in a circle, unable to make any discernible progress. :p

I think this one might require a lot of screenshots and notes. 

It sounded a lot like Heaven's Vault to me which no one brought up when they discussed this game. I thought it was odd. Maybe more people should play Heaven's Vault. 🤔

13 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It sounded a lot like Heaven's Vault to me which no one brought up when they discussed this game. I thought it was odd. Maybe more people should play Heaven's Vault. 🤔

I only vaguely remember that game from when it was announced. Yeah, it does seem pretty similar conceptually. 

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I only vaguely remember that game from when it was announced. Yeah, it does seem pretty similar conceptually. 

I think of it often because maybe I'm one of the few that actually bought it but I still have it installed. The only thing that troubles me is it feels like the type of game that is difficult to jump back in just because the nature of it. Maybe I'll have to make it a dedicated deck game or something.

Just started up "Master Detective Archives: Rain Code" last night on switch. I'm looking forward to this hopefully being the first "recent" (non retro) game I beat this year. When I get close to being it I'll probably poll the forums to help me pick what will be my next game to play from all the games I picked up over the holidays.

• Halal 1

Man Ys9 is soooo good. I hope Ys10 makes it late this year but I bet it’s early 25 release going by other releases. It would be cool if Ys had its Persona/Yakuza moment some day with Ys11 or something, maybe when they are targeting higher fidelity assuming it would be for Switch 2/ps5 then. Ys8 and Ys9 are so well written and fun to play. I have to go back to the older ones some day. 

I’ll definitely have to check out the Trails series at some point seeing there is a lot of shared staff between the two series.