The Green Knight - full trailer for medieval dark fantasy film starring Dev Patel, update: VERY positive reviews rolling in

38 minutes ago, number305 said:

For those that aren't aware this story comes from an ancient poem.  It was always one of Tolkien's favorites and he did a really good translation of it.  It is very quick to read and I would recommend it (if you enjoy reading).

If people aren't generally aware of the original, ancient poem, I'm really worried about how poorly read people are . . . :p 

4 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Sorry I'm not up to date on ancient poetry. Don't know how I could have possibly missed this one. 

It's not that you need to have read the original poem, it's just the story is so ubiquitous at this point that to not know it, particularly in the West, would be surprising to me. It's like not knowing the general story of Beowulf, another ancient poem.

17 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's not that you need to have read the original poem, it's just the story is so ubiquitous at this point that to not know it, particularly in the West, would be surprising to me. It's like not knowing the general story of Beowulf, another ancient poem.

3pi80m.jpg

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Reputator said:

Well now we don't have to read it. We can just watch the movie adaptation! I do most of my reading that way! :D

I know you are joking...

But if your only interaction with Beowulf is that 2007 cartoon Angelina Jolie thing -  then you don't really know the story of Beowulf.  That thing was bastardized like hell.  Same for the Hobbit.  LOTR was done pretty well and pretty faithfully told the story, but even with three movies they cut significant portions.

Generally its best to just enjoy movies and books as their own separate things.  

I remember Beowulf in school as well. I remember my kid brain not enjoying it.

This will be debated to hell, but the problem with stories that represent pretty much the basis of all human storytelling is that they've spawned millions of iterations, and not only have we heard it all before, and most of the time with many additions, but they're even beyond cliche at this point. They actually appear rote and bland, or over-simplistic. It's impossible to actually enjoy them unless you're a literary scholar, IMO.

31 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I remember Beowulf in school as well. I remember my kid brain not enjoying it.

This will be debated to hell, but the problem with stories that represent pretty much the basis of all human storytelling is that they've spawned millions of iterations, and not only have we heard it all before, and most of the time with many additions, but they're even beyond cliche at this point. They actually appear rote and bland, or over-simplistic. It's impossible to actually enjoy them unless you're a literary scholar, IMO.

There's a lot of fun mythology to be had in both Beowulf and The Green Knight, in my opinion, but I do agree about how they come off rote, etc. However, I appreciate it on the level of innovation, as you could make this argument for lots of things, from The Godfather to Citizen Kane to Gone with the Wind. It's all done well, even if it's all obvious. Again, one appreciates it on the level of innovation within its context more than thinking it's some new ground-breaking work.

The stories are so ubiquitous that's why I'm surprised people aren't familiar with The Green Knight story. It's a pretty famous one among the Arthurian legends and tales. 

25 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

There's a lot of fun mythology to be had in both Beowulf and The Green Knight, in my opinion, but I do agree about how they come off rote, etc. However, I appreciate it on the level of innovation, as you could make this argument for lots of things, from The Godfather to Citizen Kane to Gone with the Wind. It's all done well, even if it's all obvious. Again, one appreciates it on the level of innovation within its context more than thinking it's some new ground-breaking work.

The stories are so ubiquitous that's why I'm surprised people aren't familiar with The Green Knight story. It's a pretty famous one among the Arthurian legends and tales. 

My guess is the average person could not tell you any more about Arthurian legends than what has been displayed in popular movies over the past 5 years.

34 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I’ve never read a single Arthurian legend, and I would consider myself reasonably well read. Qualifying someone as poorly read because they haven’t read a specific ancient poem is very odd. 

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying not even knowing the general outline of the story from hearing about it in some way is concerning to me. Worry is not the same as full-on qualifying some as "poorly read". I'm saying that's just surprising to me.

• 1 year later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Green Knight - teaser trailer for medieval dark fantasy film starring Dev Patel, update: 30 July 2021 theatrical release announced
3 hours ago, Chris- said:

@Commissar SFLUFAN how the hell do you remember this thread over a year later?!?

For certain things, I have a near-photographic memory.

Take this for example:  @Fizzzzle did you ever read that book about the Holy Roman Empire that I recommended to you a few years ago when you were asking for books on that subject?

9 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

For certain things, I have a near-photographic memory.

Take this for example:  @Fizzzzle did you ever read that book about the Holy Roman Empire that I recommended to you a few years ago when you were asking for books on that subject?

This one?

I did, but I don't even remember that it was you who recommended it.:p