The Green Knight - full trailer for medieval dark fantasy film starring Dev Patel, update: VERY positive reviews rolling in

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Green Knight - full trailer for medieval dark fantasy film starring Dev Patel, update: 30 July 2021 theatrical release announced
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Green Knight - full trailer for medieval dark fantasy film starring Dev Patel, update: "Legends Never Die: An Oral History of the Green Knight" feature
  • 4 weeks later...

Reviews rolling in:

GK_01000.jpg?quality=85&w=1200&h=628&cro
TIME.COM

Dev Patel stars in David Lowery's confident, enchanting retelling of a 14th century poem set in medieval England

https___cdn.sanity.io_images_xq1bjtf4_pr
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

In 'The Green Knight,' Dev Patel as a knight in the making crosses Camelot to prove his valor in this bold adaptation of the 14th century epic poem.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-04-at-11.53.24-AM.pn
WWW.INDIEWIRE.COM

Surreal, stoned, and glistening with a layer of heavy metal realness, David Lowery's medieval adventure is a chivalric romance for the ages.

GK_03453_RC.jpg?quality=80&crop=0px%2C31
OBSERVER.COM

Despite a deliberate vagueness in meaning, ‘The Green Knight’ is a beautifully shot, almost dream-like tale of chivalry, magic, temptation and transformation.

3000.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

David Lowery’s complex, visually sumptuous and uncommercial tale of Arthurian legend revels in upending expectations

ZNGGEIU4PCFLSF4NEWLZSXEACE.jpg
WWW.CHICAGOTRIBUNE.COM

Sir Gawain, King Arthur’s impetuous nephew, is one of the Knights of the Round Table. Though he’s ripe for “adventure, brave and bold,” up until now life in Camelot has been a royal slacker’s breeze. Filmmaker David Lowery pays close attention to the details in this unusual film.

homepage_Green_Knight.jpg
WWW.ROGEREBERT.COM

A mesmerizing journey guided by Lowery’s incredibly poetic eye, career-best work from Dev Patel, and an artistic sensibility that transports audiences to another world.

https___cdn.sanity.io_images_xq1bjtf4_pr
WWW.POLYGON.COM

David Lowery’s interpretation of a Welsh myth is haunting and unforgettable

GK_06501-1.jpg
WWW.THEWRAP.COM

In "The Green Knight," David Lowery's take on the epic poem seems more focused on art direction than the storytelling, Simon Abrams writes.

e311ea0d-2341-46c6-9d6b-6aefae5103b6-Gre
WWW.USATODAY.COM

Dev Patel has a career-best performance as a brash youngster on an Arthurian quest in David Lowery's visually dazzling tale 'The Green Knight.'

Green-Knight-02.jpg?w=1000
VARIETY.COM

With Dev Patel as a fellowship of one, director David Lowery turns a fantastical dream-poem into the myth under the myth of popular culture.

5ea5f14b461dc1ea7d82e1eed8846a4a.jpg
WWW.AVCLUB.COM

The director of A Ghost Story turns the English-lit classic into a spectacular mood piece

Screen-Shot-2021-05-11-at-8.03.19-AM.png
BLOODY-DISGUSTING.COM

Writer/Director David Lowery’s adaptation of the anonymously written, 14th-century poem “Sir Gawain and the Green Knight” makes for one epic feast of a mov

Screen-Shot-2021-06-22-at-9.43.07-AM.jpg
THEPLAYLIST.NET

In selecting legacy over infamy, to not covet power but having the courage to stay the fateful course, immortality awaits "The Green Knight."

HVJUQQEMZJDZVBAZD3WZFOPZ2Y.jpeg
WWW.THEGLOBEANDMAIL.COM

Director David Lowery’s production benefits enormously from his choice of leading man

• Thanks 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Green Knight - full trailer for medieval dark fantasy film starring Dev Patel, update: VERY positive reviews rolling in

I wish more studios started the model of releasing it on streaming services day 1 and just charging for it. 95% of the time I watch movies is like 2-3 in the morning. Going to theaters isn't an option for me unless it's like on a Monday night, and even then it's spotty, I usually use that day to run errands and sleep.

People are aware this is written and directed by film autuer David Lowery right? He did:

-Ain't Them Bodies Saints

-Pete's Dragon

-A Ghost Story

-The Old Man & the Gun

All of those movies were pretty good, and A Ghost Story is haunting and amazing. The Green Knight may be his best movie yet, but I expect it to be at least very good.

On 7/27/2021 at 2:52 PM, Mercury33 said:

Is this Theater only or coming to streaming too?

On 7/27/2021 at 2:52 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Theaters only

damn this sucks i thought for sure i had seen this was coming to amazon on demand day one.  oh well im sure a movie like this wont be very long until its on there.

My wife hasn't seen any of David Lowery's movies so we're going through them in preparation for The Green Knight. We watched Ain't Them Bodies Saints last night and it was even better than I remember. Movie is beautiful and the romance at the center of it feels so natural and real. Pete's Dragon is next.

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

@Greatonesherewas extra @Greatoneshereon the first page and I loved it

3 hours ago, stepee said:

lol i was here for that as well since I missed it the first time around 

Same cause I definitely didn't remember me doing that. Uhhhh . . . yeah, that was full Greatoneshere alright. Jesus H. Christ. :p GUYS HOW HAVE YOU NOT READ THE GREEN KNIGHT YOU ARE ALL HEATHENS

Wife and I are about to watch Pete's Dragon. Then . . . A Ghost Story. That one is gonna be rough.

• Haha 1

This film is a truly impressive visual experience that really does defy categorization as to what kind of film it is.  It's also effectively a "silent movie" for long stretches so it absolutely has to rely on its fantastic visuals.

What it is most certainly is NOT is our usual depiction of "epic fantasy" - it's thankfully very, VERY far from it.  I'd have to really say that this is a "tone poem" more than anything else.

• Like 1

I went to see this yesterday, my first movie theater experience since Covid.

Much like The Lighthouse, I wanted to like this and find some resonance with it so bad but it just didn't happen. It's absolutely gorgeous, the soundtrack is fantastic and all but I have to admit that I just found it emotionally distant and not engaging. Visually, it's a masterpiece but as a movie, I found it flat-out boring on every level. I've never read the story it's based on but I shouldn't have to and the movie itself just lost me at the halfway mark with every new leg of the journey feeling weirdly disjointed and inconsequential to me. Maybe I'd react the same if I saw Legend for the first time today but even on a gut level and emotionally, I personally just didn't feel any substance or thread through this collage of gorgeous journey scenes. Unfortunately I just felt relieved that it was finally over when it finally sputtered out. And as a disclaimer, I really loved A Ghost Story so I don't just dislike his style, I even enjoyed the much-maligned pie scene in that, it felt emotionally charged.

• Thanks 1