~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

My wife is vegan. I'll be cooking her a head of cauliflower glazed with the same sesame/soy/honey stuff I'm glazing the turkey with. I thought about going the seitan route but, honestly, a turkey alone is enough work and I might not be doing the big Thanksgiving dinner, I'm still going to be the leftover fairy.

That and I'm experimenting with subbing the butter and cream in my mashed potatoes with vegan cultured butter and maybe a cashew-based sour cream. It...might work. Not sure. I've been getting better at coming up with vegan recipes for her over these fun, isolating months.

My son is allergic to dairy/eggs/nuts.  I do his mashed potatoes with a combination of Earth Balance and a few splashes of a neutral oil (like Canola or Grapeseed).  Nowhere near as good as "regular", but not bad....

• Thanks 1

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig
WWW.LATIMES.COM

“I do want people to understand that testing on Thursday so you can party on Saturday: That doesn’t work. It’s not a good idea," said Barbara Ferrer, L.A. County’s director of public health.

• Guillotine 2

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

My son is allergic to dairy/eggs/nuts.  I do his mashed potatoes with a combination of Earth Balance and a few splashes of a neutral oil (like Canola or Grapeseed).  Nowhere near as good as "regular", but not bad....

I'll give that one a shot. That sounds easier than what I was thinking about. My thinking was that the best way to go about this one is going with an herby mashed so you don't miss the dairy. Half russet, half yellow on the potato side, a good helping of salt, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, white pepper, thinly sliced chives and thyme, a couple sticks of Miyoko's cultured European unsalted butter, and some Forager half & half...or maybe Tofutti sour cream. 

201117-messer-corona-event-tease_gabhgp
WWW.THEDAILYBEAST.COM

“Alcohol will be served, but we’re expecting them to wear their masks. Are you serious? Do you know college students? Do you see how they behave at football games?”

I don’t think @CitizenVectron posted about this yet... 

Our provincial government just had a press conference this afternoon and the summary of what the premier had to say is as follows: 

1) Long Term Care facilities are being closed to visitors for the next month. 

2) the limit for gatherings in private households has now been reduced to five. 

3) the premier says if you want to meet with your friends or family, he strongly encourages you to meet in a public area “such as a restaurant.” 

RIP. Good thing I just built a gaming PC I guess because I don’t see this getting better any time soon. 

16 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Waves are coming everywhere. Korea is over 300 cases, the highest since August. There have been several outbreaks at saunas, who the fuck wants to go to a sauna in the middle of a pandemic???

If you just crank up the temperature all the way, the virus will die.

59 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

I don’t think @CitizenVectron posted about this yet... 

Our provincial government just had a press conference this afternoon and the summary of what the premier had to say is as follows: 

1) Long Term Care facilities are being closed to visitors for the next month. 

2) the limit for gatherings in private households has now been reduced to five. 

3) the premier says if you want to meet with your friends or family, he strongly encourages you to meet in a public area “such as a restaurant.” 

RIP. Good thing I just built a gaming PC I guess because I don’t see this getting better any time soon. 

Yeah, it's not good. Mask mandate is good, as is the limit on gatherings...but people need to stop seeing people altogether for a while. Also, the definition of "public place" for mask usage doesn't include office cubicle spaces, which is so dumb. 

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

I do, yeah. This reminded me that I need to burn it out before Thursday next week, it been humid enough that I assume it’s gotten moldy in there, but 30 minutes at 650 degrees will fix that. :p

I first learned about them from you. I really wanted one but we got a pretty nice gas grille as a housewarming gift. Hard for me to justify buying one of those bad boys atm, but it's definitely going down in a couple years.

56 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah, it's not good. Mask mandate is good, as is the limit on gatherings...but people need to stop seeing people altogether for a while. Also, the definition of "public place" for mask usage doesn't include office cubicle spaces, which is so dumb. 

I think I'm purging my social circle and starting fresh when this is over. They stopped giving a fuck as soon as the stay at home order was lifted. They've been continuing to get together without masks and without distancing and sometimes even inside. One of them apparently flew to North Carolina for a completely non-distanced wedding over the summer. It's just infuriating how dumb they're being. 

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

I think I'm purging my social circle and starting fresh when this is over. They stopped giving a fuck as soon as the stay at home order was lifted. They've been continuing to get together without masks and without distancing and sometimes even inside. One of them apparently flew to North Carolina for a completely non-distanced wedding over the summer. It's just infuriating how dumb they're being. 

Gonna be hard to make friends like that. I'm BY FAR the person who is taking quarantining most seriously of all the people i know. People just don't give a fuck.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

If Moe hadn't said "if you're going to meet with a friend, I encourage you to do it at a restaurant," I wouldn't have been very bothered by today's press conference. Shutting down visiting to long term care homes sucks but probably makes sense. Mask mandate for the whole province makes sense. Limiting gatherings to 5 is an extreme but we need to take extreme measures.  "Please don't invite a family member to your apartment for coffee. Instead go to a restaurant where there's 50 other people" does not make sense. I guess it's just him signaling that he's not going to shut down restaurants. 

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

Waves are coming everywhere. Korea is over 300 cases, the highest since August. There have been several outbreaks at saunas, who the fuck wants to go to a sauna in the middle of a pandemic???

To parahphrase Field of Dreams, if you open it, they will come. The question isn't so much "who the fuck wants to go to a sauna," the question should be "why the fuck are saunas open in the middle of a pandemic?" 

34 minutes ago, Jason said:

At my grandpa's birthday party, my cousin infected 3 people: his mom (my aunt), his daughter, and my grandfather. Miraculously my grandfather seems to have recovered (definitely suffering from covid fog though). You'd think they learned their lesson right? Nope! Thanksgiving is a go. That part of the family is going to celebrate with around 10-12 people. My mom and dad (the non Republicans) will not be attending. 

35 minutes ago, Joe said:

Gonna be hard to make friends like that. I'm BY FAR the person who is taking quarantining most seriously of all the people i know. People just don't give a fuck.

The way they're behaving is just so far beyond any kind of reasonable disagreement about what level of precaution to take. I think one of them has been unable to get out of traveling for work, so I kind of get her not seeing the point in being super careful the rest of the time, but the rest of them...ugh. 

Like, if it was just pictures of them doing outdoor dining, that would be one thing. I think it’s an unnecessary risk but the government is signaling it's safe by letting it be open, so it's harder to get pissed off about. But it's just infuriating seeing them take NO precautions when I haven't spent time with anyone in person in months. I'm not going to get to see my parents this year and had to miss my best friend's wedding but these chucklefucks are acting like everything's normal. 

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

The way they're behaving is just so far beyond any kind of reasonable disagreement about what level of precaution to take. I think one of them has been unable to get out of traveling for work, so I kind of get her not seeing the point in being super careful the rest of the time, but the rest of them...ugh. 

Like, if it was just pictures of them doing outdoor dining, that would be one thing. I think it’s an unnecessary risk but the government is signaling it's safe by letting it be open, so it's harder to get pissed off about. But it's just infuriating seeing them take NO precautions when I haven't spent time with anyone in person in months. I'm not going to get to see my parents this year and had to miss my best friend's wedding but these chucklefucks are acting like everything's normal. 

That’s their problem, though. Hell even my best friend today messaged me about getting an AirBnB upstate for a weekend with him and his girlfriend. I told him no and I feel like the weirdo, which is frustrating, but I’m not going to stop being his friend or anything.

18 minutes ago, Joe said:

That’s their problem, though. Hell even my best friend today messaged me about getting an AirBnB upstate for a weekend with him and his girlfriend. I told him no and I feel like the weirdo, which is frustrating, but I’m not going to stop being his friend or anything.

Except it's my problem too because selfish assholes are the reason we're in this mess. 

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Except it's my problem too because selfish assholes are the reason we're in this mess. 

I get it. I’m just saying that it’s going to be tough to find a group of friends that are all taking the virus seriously.