~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

In Portland, I'd say we're like 90% back to "normal," and I don't know how much more we'll get to  beyond lifting the mask mandate. Restaurants and bars are allowed to stay open till 2:30 again, but a lot of them just don't want to, and that doesn't seem like it's going to change any time soon. A lot of businesses have just closed altogether. I think it'll be another 3-5 years before things are fully back to the way they were before.

17 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Well, to be fair, Texas still has 2x the current death rate per capita of the worst place in Canada (my province) and nearly 30x of better-run provinces. So things may be more back to normal for you as a person, but clearly the state itself is failing in controlling the spread and resulting deaths as a result of its policy.

Comparing death rates /100k:

• Texas - 0.68
  • Saskatchewan - 0.38
  • Ontario - .027

The death rate in my county is way lower than that, and lower than SK and Ontario too.

But historical numbers aren’t important in my current daily life. It isn’t vaccinated people kicking the bucket now.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

We're required to wear masks in every indoor space where I am including the hallways and  lobby of my apartment building so no... we're not "back to normal" here.

Don't be... He lives in Texas.

You live in America 😂

8 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

In Portland, I'd say we're like 90% back to "normal," and I don't know how much more we'll get to  beyond lifting the mask mandate. Restaurants and bars are allowed to stay open till 2:30 again, but a lot of them just don't want to, and that doesn't seem like it's going to change any time soon. A lot of businesses have just closed altogether. I think it'll be another 3-5 years before things are fully back to the way they were before.

A lot of restaurants where I am don't even open on Mondays and Tuesdays any more. 

Restaurants are at 50% capacity here. 
I need to sign a document that my kids have no COVID symptoms every morning. I need to sign a declaration that I have no symptoms to enter the office. I need to wear a mask in all inside areas. My wife’s family had our Thanksgiving dinner as a picnic in the park, because even though everyone over the age of 12 was vaccinated, people were too scared to do it inside. 

Things aren’t normal here. 

27 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The death rate in my county is way lower than that, and lower than SK and Ontario too.

But historical numbers aren’t important in my current daily life. It isn’t vaccinated people kicking the bucket now.

You live in America 😂

Just fyi I was using the daily average from the last 7 days for each of those jurisdictions.

41 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

You live in America 😂

The death rate in Ontario over the last 7 days is 0.4 per million per day.   Texas is 7.7. 

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The death rate in Ontario over the last 7 days is 0.4 per million per day.   Texas is 7.7. 

My *county*, you know, the place where I spend like 99% of my time. We regularly have days with no deaths at all.

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:
merlin_195567645_7e5e5f89-9fb6-4390-8971
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The agency may act this week, when it is expected to authorize booster shots for recipients of the Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines.

Time to get some of that sweet, sweet Moderna.

The one thing I'm not clear on is if you didn't get Moderna for the first two, will you get a full Moderna dose or a half-dose like for the people who already got two Modernas? Because I think the mix and match study was looking at people who received a full Moderna dose after J&J or Pfizer.

My bar trivia night has been back for the past month and I was there day one. I've missed it so much. It's just mentally pleasing to be there. If you're sitting, you don't have to wear masks. If you're standing/ordering at the bar, you do.

Unfortunately, they got rid of my street tacos when they homogenized their menu to be more bbq/burgers. All they really need are the tortillas though since I only ate the carnitas. They got rid of their cheap/specials menu but I actually don't mind putting money into the bar. Hopefully, it comes back though.

The most vaccinated state in the US, Vermont, has 70% of its population fully vaccinated.  

The only Canadian provinces that are less vaccinated than that are Saskatchewan and Alberta -- both at 65%.  

The only US states above 65% are Conneticut (69%), Maine (69%), Maryland (65%),  Massachusetts (68%), New Jersey (65%), New York (65%), Rhode Island (69%), Vermont (70%).

So the North East is basically the US's version of Alberta -- you guys are fucked.

29 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The most vaccinated state in the US, Vermont, has 70% of its population fully vaccinated.  

The only Canadian provinces that are less vaccinated than that are Saskatchewan and Alberta -- both at 65%.  

The only US states above 65% are Conneticut (69%), Maine (69%), Maryland (65%),  Massachusetts (68%), New Jersey (65%), New York (65%), Rhode Island (69%), Vermont (70%).

So the North East is basically the US's version of Alberta -- you guys are fucked.

We don’t have to live in Canada doe.

• True 1

1 minute ago, marioandsonic said:
ec24845b-272e-4998-87b5-73692312f3e0-8-7
WWW.POCONORECORD.COM

On Wednesday, Gov. Tom Wolf announced that the commonwealth had achieved its benchmark of a 70% COVID-19 vaccination rate among eligible adults.

If that's in response to Absolut's post, then he was referring to total population, whereas this article is referring to adults. If we're talking eligible population, then:

Eligible population fully vaccinated (12+). This data is a week old, so it's probably about 1% higher now, for each:

• Quebec - 85.8%
  • Newfoundland & Labrador - 85.5%
  • Prince Edward Island - 85.5%
  • Nova Scotia - 83.6%
  • Manitoba - 83.5%
  • Ontario - 82.1%
  • British Columbia - 82.0%
  • Canada Total - 81.9%
  • New Brunswick - 80.5%
  • Saskatchewan - 75.0%
  • Alberta - 74.4%

13 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

If that's in response to Absolut's post, then he was referring to total population, whereas this article is referring to adults. If we're talking eligible population, then:

Eligible population fully vaccinated (12+). This data is a week old, so it's probably about 1% higher now, for each:

• Quebec - 85.8%
  • Nova Scotia - 83.6%
  • Manitoba - 83.5%
  • Ontario - 82.1%
  • Canada Total - 81.9%
  • New Brunswick - 80.5%
  • Saskatchewan - 75.0%
  • Alberta - 74.4%

I’m pretty sure he was just posting a benchmark his state recently achieved.

15 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Gotta hand it to him, he did a really good job at pushing Gupta and forcing him to answer when Gupta tried to deflect. Not that it's difficult to make cnn look bad.

In that clip, he looked ok but watch the rest of the podcast. Whole lot of misinformation coming from Rogan. And he was high as a kite clearly. 

• True 1

49 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

• Quebec - 85.8%
  • Nova Scotia - 83.6%
  • Manitoba - 83.5%
  • Ontario - 82.1%
  • Canada Total - 81.9%
  • New Brunswick - 80.5%
  • Saskatchewan - 75.0%
  • Alberta - 74.4%

In Ontario 12.5% of the eligible population is unvaxxed, 4.3% is partially vaxxed and 83.2% fully vaxxed.  And this is what our hospitals are like:

I'm pretty much done curtailing my life for that 12.5%.

• True 1