~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

It does seem likely that in very low vaccination areas the spread of Delta Covid is far far higher than is being captured via testing. This is likely the case in the UK as well which will be interesting to see how long cases keeping falling there.

You know, I got my second shot at the end of February so I'm at right about the five month mark they're using in Israel for giving people a third shot, so it's definitely been on my mind if I should just show up somewhere and say I'm getting my first shot in order to get a third shot while we're still in a period of supply far outstripping demand...

Seems likely we're going to wind up getting a recommendation for boosters anyhow, even just using a third dose of the existing vaccines instead of a new version targeted toward the variants.

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

You know, I got my second shot at the end of February so I'm at right about the five month mark they're using in Israel for giving people a third shot, so it's definitely been on my mind if I should just show up somewhere and say I'm getting my first shot in order to get a third shot while we're still in a period of supply far outstripping demand...

Seems likely we're going to wind up getting a recommendation for boosters anyhow, even just using a third dose of the existing vaccines instead of a new version targeted toward the variants.

You're fine

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

We’re sitting on enough surplus vaccine that you should just do it.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

You're fine

58 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

We’re sitting on enough surplus vaccine that you should just do it.

Kal's comment is what I'm leaning toward.

I understand it's likely unnecessary but it can't be bad, right, worst case I just got a third dose for no real reason? 

I have not read anything that suggests it would be unhealthy to do so. If you’re in a place where you can currently walk up or if you can schedule at a spot that has tons of openings, I honestly can’t think of a reason to not do it. If we’d just approved the vaccine to be used in kids and you were queuing up with a bunch of children, probably not awesome. But right now?

28 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I have not read anything that suggests it would be unhealthy to do so. If you’re in a place where you can currently walk up or if you can schedule at a spot that has tons of openings, I honestly can’t think of a reason to not do it. If we’d just approved the vaccine to be used in kids and you were queuing up with a bunch of children, probably not awesome. But right now?

Now I guess the question is what do I get. Israel is just tripling people up on Pfizer, and I already have two Pfizers, so that seems like the obvious way to go. Maybe Moderna, but it seems like they're basically the same? Seems like getting J&J as my booster would be dumb.

It's shocking to see how many people online say things like "I got both shots. But they say I might need a third? Fuck that, I did my part."

It really shows how privileged most people are in terms of having to *gasp* get a needle once or twice a year. My wife has to get bloodwork each month to monitor her thyroid levels thanks to extreme therapy she'd received in the past for her MS, takes 5-10 pills per day, has had to undergo immune replacement therapy (effectively chemo) twice—and these people draw the line at maybe getting a needle once a year to help save theirs (and others!) lives? Fuck those people. 

I don't wish pain or disease on anyone, but I really wish everyone had a better understanding of how much work really goes into keeping most people alive at one point or another in their life. Almost everyone will need medical treatment at some point, and a tiny needle once in a while is nothing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's shocking to see how many people online say things like "I got both shots. But they say I might need a third? Fuck that, I did my part."

It really shows how privileged most people are in terms of having to *gasp* get a needle once or twice a year. My wife has to get bloodwork each month to monitor her thyroid levels thanks to extreme therapy she'd received in the past for her MS, takes 5-10 pills per day, has had to undergo immune replacement therapy (effectively chemo) twice—and these people draw the line at maybe getting a needle once a year to help save theirs (and others!) lives? Fuck those people. 

I don't wish pain or disease on anyone, but I really wish everyone had a better understanding of how much work really goes into keeping most people alive at one point or another in their life. Almost everyone will need medical treatment at some point, and a tiny needle once in a while is nothing.

I think it is more psychological than anything else for most. We all want this thing to be over, and getting the vaccine felt like that in the early days of the program. Now the realization that indeed we are in for forever Covid hurts that mental state they have put themselves in. People are simultaneously complex and very simple :p 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

The big issue with getting a third shot right now is you'll affect the vaccination numbers.  You can say you're one person, but tons people are talking about going into the pharmacy, and lying to get it.  I'd just hold off and wait until we get an official statement.  It's not as if you're in the danger zone, virtually nobody whose vaccinated is in the hospital at this point.  

I also think it's worth hearing from Moderna on the matter too, though, I do wonder if long term, the Moderna vaccine will remain a bit higher just due to the simple fact you got a lot more vaccine per shot than you did with Pfizer.

19 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Nice flex

I see how it could appear that that was my goal, but my intention was more to show that at least some large corporations are taking this more seriously than others. 

For what it's worth, I work at Intel, not for Intel. :shrug:

My province is 100% entering its 4th wave:

X9uIiBY.png

But we've completely re-opened with no plans of new restrictions. In fact, government announced that if you test positive you no longer have to isolate, the decision is up to you! And schools will be resuming Sept 1 with no masking or restrictions. Obviously the death toll will be much lower as 75%+ of the 12+ population is at least partially vaccinated (and that number is 93%+ of the 70+ pop), but we're still going to see it sweep through the unvaccinated, including kids.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Grande si es verdad

Yeah the media is putting out some horrible articles on this. A good example to teach people why these are bad headlines is:

You have 100 people each, in two rooms. In the first, 99 are vaccinated, and 30 aren't. In the second, 99 are vaccinated, and 1 isn't. Here are example infection rates:

Room 1:

• Unvaccinated: 30 people
  • Vaccinated: 1 person

Room 2:

• Unvaccinated: 1 person
  • Vaccinated: 1 person

If you report purely on infection % as a matter of total infected, then in Room 1 the vaccinated make up only 3.3% of infections, while in Room 2 they make up 50%!!! Yet, the first room is a far worse scenario overall, but identical for vaccinated people.

• Thanks 2

Well I did go try to get a third but I stupidly put my real information and they turned me away. Didn't think they'd actually look me up. And it sucks because I don't think they would have asked for my ID if I'd just put in fake info. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

So Ralph's won't give you a second dose if you don't have your card, which just seems like bad policy? Seems like people are inevitably going to lose these things. 

Try CVS or Walgreens

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

Try CVS or Walgreens

Just really annoying since I was hoping to have this done today and deal with the side effects tomorrow. It was really dumb of me to not go with fake information at Costco, they were willing to just give me a card only showing the second dose. Not sure if I want to do this if I'm looking at later Saturday or early Sunday at this point, and don't have time to drive around trying my luck on no appointment shots. :/

Gonna try really early tomorrow I guess but if I can't find anything then this may be on pause for right now. 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Just really annoying since I was hoping to have this done today and deal with the side effects tomorrow. It was really dumb of me to not go with fake information at Costco, they were willing to just give me a card only showing the second dose. Not sure if I want to do this if I'm looking at later Saturday or early Sunday at this point, and don't have time to drive around trying my luck on no appointment shots. :/

Gonna try really early tomorrow I guess but if I can't find anything then this may be on pause for right now. 

Please just keeping going and continue to update.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Jason said:

Plus the timing is off as it slips into the weekend, I fly next Friday and it's not doing me much good if it's too close to the flight. 

If you’re flying into the NYC area, I can get you them papeles.

For legal reasons, that’s a joke.

10 hours ago, vaxick said:
t_a0c25c06774d45caa07a73a94b26b3f1_name_
WWW.WOKV.COM

Jacksonville’s local hospitals are bursting at the seams as COVID-19 cases surge. A UF Health spokesperson says its campuses were treating 186 COVID-19...

This is where I live currently and it’s fucking scary. Mask wearing is pretty low in many place and almost non existent in others.

I am currently working remotely for a tutoring company but was considering returning back to working in public schools in the fall. I’m thinking with everything going on in Florida that may not be the best decision.

• Sad 3