~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

I don’t mind rent moratoriums at all, but why not also mortgage moratoriums?

They sort of did that with mortgage forbearance. It was junk if you took time to read the fine print. Our bank wanted full repayment when it was over, but they would not except full or partial payment if you signed up for the allotted period for forbearance.  I wasn't going to sign up for it but I was curious on the rules and terms. 

38 minutes ago, Joe said:

I don’t mind rent moratoriums at all, but why not also mortgage moratoriums?

34 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

There should absolutely be mortgage moritoriums.

There basically has been. You can shift the payments to the end of the mortgage term. It's actually better than what was done for renters, which makes them pay all back rent as soon as the moratoriums end.

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

WASHINGTON (AP) — Anger and frustration mounted in Congress over the weekend as a nationwide eviction moratorium expired during a surge in the COVID-19 pandemic.

Lawmakers said they were blindsided by President Joe Biden’s inaction as the midnight Saturday deadline neared, some furious that he called on Congress to provide a last-minute solution to protect renters. The rare division between the president and his party carried potential lasting political ramifications.

New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said Sunday that Democrats have to “call a spade a spade” after the deadline expired.

“We cannot in good faith blame the Republican Party when House Democrats have a majority,” the progressive congresswoman said on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Should grocery stores allow people to walk out with whatever they want?

To be clear, I think that the federal government should ultimately intervene to make things right by the landlord; I just think it is distasteful to place the onus on the renter in this circumstance (i.e. a volatile economy during a global pandemic). 

Update on that conservative talk show host who was a covid denier and then caught it:

61054b7039e63d001884c486?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

Phil Valentine has previously said the only people who should get a COVID-19 vaccine are those with "underlying health issues."

6 hours ago, Chris- said:

If you intend to profit off of housing, you’re the one who has to hold the bag; you can’t shirk your responsibility over the foundation of people’s well-being just because it hurts. Don’t think that’s fair? Then don’t get in the business of profiting from it!

Many rental homes are homes owned by regular people, not mega corporations. They might be first time home owners that buy and live in one of the units of a multi family home. They might be people that used the income from the rental of their first home to afford a larger home as their family grew. 

It's been well over a year at this point, and a lot of these people are being gamed. I have no skin in the rental market, but at some point we need to allow people to manage their property. 

You don't pay your bill and your water, electricity, gas, phone, internet, car all get turned off or taken away. 

The issue here though is that the landlords aren’t hurting because there aren’t people who want to rent and can’t afford it, they are hurting because they can’t get rent out of the occupants despite lots of demand from people who can pay. They are hurting specifically because the government is saying they can’t legally remove delinquent renters.

I would agree with the notion that they accept the risk of market conditions if they simply couldn’t find renters to pay, or the prevailing rents were below what they need to be profitable, but that isn’t what is happening.

I think I've said this from the beginning of the pandemic. The answer was never eviction moratoriums. That was always going to be a ticking time bomb. The real answer is relief, either in the form of direct payments or a moratorium on rent and mortgage payments. The latter would have been a hit to lenders so was never a realistic option in this country and the first was held up because this country is run by short sighted assholes.

Anyway, what's likely to happen is that those with back rent are evicted, (and have that on their record for years making it damn near impossible to rent again and probably pushing millions into homelessness) the landlords get newer tenants who can/will pay more in rent, and the government will make many or most landlords whole again without really helping those who got evicted.

I look forward to Dems not getting the votes of these people in the future. It's bleak!

11 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Being conservative about this, if the value was 20% in GA, WI, and AZ, based on trump 2020 voters and 1.0% mortality, that's about 3.3k voters in AZ and WI, and about 5k in GA who may die.

To say nothing of even greater neurological damage the virus would have on them.

tenor.gif?itemid=13180600

31 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This lady at the grocery store was talking about some guy who got covid.

"You know that healthy guy who buys like 6 cucumbers? Well his whole family got COVID, and he was vaccinated.

You know what that means...."

He wasn't eating the cucumbers?

• Haha 2

On 7/25/2021 at 5:15 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Anyway, my friend's dad is home from the hospital, and they're stopping dialysis and they're starting to make him comfortable. He's got a couple weeks left.

Had no cancer before covid, got covid and spent weeks in the hospital. Was released, then stage 4 cancer is found on his lungs and liver and now he's gonna be dead before long. Fucking awful

He has passed away.

• Sad 9