Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

And Too Human was on the GameCube box. :p

I'm still waiting for Two Human 😭 M$ has convinced me I will pay $35 a month for two years. I was really hoping they would buy Mistwalker and put the guch back to work on big games... I'm glad Microsoft has learned they need first party titles and while Two Human won't happen maybe we can get another Crimson Skies and a proper Steel Battalion sequel (is Nude Maker even around anymore?)?

Oof, that's pushing 2TB SSD prices. All for a drive you can only use on one device. On the other hand, there are literally no other options I'm aware of so that's quite functionally as good as it gets.

My understanding is that there will be other options later, but for now, it's either that or get fucked.

1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

Also, will there be other 3rd party options, bigger sizes, etc? How necessary is this exactly?

There will eventually be 3rd party options when the technology gets cheaper to produce - basically when NAND manufacturers move to a smaller node for their storage chips.  MS made a deal with Seagate to produce the current expansion cards at a reasonable price.  Not sure how long, if any, exclusivity there is on Seagate's end.  If there's none, then perhaps we'll see 3rd party ones 6 months after launch.  It will probably take time (I'd say 2 years until a significant price reduction, maybe some smaller ones until then) for prices to come down, and I wouldn't expect bigger sizes until a smaller node process for the NAND chips comes out and is widely used.

Now are they necessary?  No.  You can still use a normal external USB drive.  But that drive can only run, natively, backwards compatible games from it.  Next-gen games, including current gen games that get patches/updates for next-gen features, have to be on the faster internal SSD or the approved expansion card.

47 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

That’s some Vita memory card prices there. Good thing you can park games on an external HDD if you need additional space. 

"With our new SSD and enhanced CPU, you can download games faster than ever. Also, please spend 45 minutes transferring Dead Rising 5 from your HDD to your SSD."

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

"With our new SSD and enhanced CPU, you can download games faster than ever. Also, please spend 45 minutes transferring Dead Rising 5 from your HDD to your SSD."

Lol -- a little bit of hyperbole there.  I would have thought about 20 minutes for a 100 GB game.  So, ~20-30 minutes to move a game to the HDD (to clear up SSD space), and another 20 minutes to move the desired game to the SSD.

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Lol -- a little bit of hyperbole there.  I would have thought about 20 minutes for a 100 GB game.  So, ~20-30 minutes to move a game to the HDD (to clear up SSD space), and another 20 minutes to move the desired game to the SSD.

For some reason, I just feel like I got a flash of the future. I have a feeling the first cracked Series X consoles and/or games are gonna be some funky bullshit with how the file transfer works between the non-rated drive to the rated drive.

22 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Does anybody know what's inside the box? Anything besides the system and controller? I have two friends getting the Series S. I'm hoping it has a headset for them.

With Xbox Series S, an Xbox Series S console, controller, High Speed HDMI cable, and power cord are included. You can add standalone purchases of Xbox Game Pass and the Seagate Storage Expansion Card for Xbox Series X|S for the complete experience.***

169a7ffe-c2c7-463a-a77c-21239c9ac388.jpg
WWW.XBOX.COM

Introducing the Xbox Series S, the smallest, sleekest Xbox ever. Experience the speed and performance of a next-gen all-digital console at an accessible...

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

With Xbox Series S, an Xbox Series S console, controller, High Speed HDMI cable, and power cord are included. You can add standalone purchases of Xbox Game Pass and the Seagate Storage Expansion Card for Xbox Series X|S for the complete experience.***

169a7ffe-c2c7-463a-a77c-21239c9ac388.jpg
WWW.XBOX.COM

Introducing the Xbox Series S, the smallest, sleekest Xbox ever. Experience the speed and performance of a next-gen all-digital console at an accessible...

The Series S is the cheaper console so it's possible like the base non HDD Xbox 360 no headset will be included. Maybe the Series X will have one since it's the premium one :hmm:

If your friends are looking for cheap Xbox headsets I recommend the PowerA Chat headsest. They aren't perfect but they get the job done for the price.

No headsets in any of the models. 

Some good news since nobody buying those overpriced memory cards

Xbox Wire: Does Quick Resume work with the Storage Expansion Card?

Jason Ronald: Quick Resume is powered by the Xbox Velocity Architecture and game state data is persisted on the internal SSD so Quick Resume will work regardless of whether you are playing a game from the internal SSD, the Seagate Storage Expansion Card or an external USB 3.1 HDD or SSD drive.

XboxSeriesX_Storage_HERO.jpg?fit=1920%2C
NEWS.XBOX.COM

For Xbox players, backwards compatibility and Xbox Game Pass have made it possible for us all to have libraries of games at our fingertips at the beginning of the...

Jason Ronald: The Xbox Velocity Architecture is a key innovation of our next generation consoles, delivering unprecedented speed and performance enabling transformative gaming experiences never before possible on console. This level of consistent, sustained performance requires advanced components which comes at a higher cost than traditional hard drives or SSDs often found in PCs. By partnering with an industry leader in Seagate, we worked together to deliver an expandable storage solution which delivers identical performance at the lowest cost possible and available this holiday.

Seagate is an industry leader in SSDs?  And...

Happy Excuse Me GIF

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Some good news since nobody buying those overpriced memory cards

xbox4djkh.png

Off-brand external drives are only good for storage and previous-gen games, as expected.  Not a problem, unless you want to quickly pop in and out of more Series X/S games than fit on the internal SSD.  Or just want faster loading in general.

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

@JPDunks4 is this true? This is what you've been doing current gen right? HD for storage SSD for gameplay? Has this been your experience?

50gb games take about 15 min to transfer, so the largest games like CoD is probably 30 minutes.

But I'm not playing 20 games at a time so it's pretty easy to manage moving games in and out without ever having down time.  I'd assume it'll be faster with the new consoles as well.

I also never fill it up so I'm never waiting to move something out before I can put something in.

3 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

50gb games take about 15 min to transfer, so the largest games like CoD is probably 30 minutes.

But I'm not playing 20 games at a time so it's pretty easy to manage moving games in and out without ever having down time.  I'd assume it'll be faster with the new consoles as well.

TBH, it's probably almost as fast to redownload the game.

31 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

TBH, it's probably almost as fast to redownload the game.

Yeah I get like 300Mbs down on Xbox so its pretty comparable.

Currently though I can play while it's transferring if I ever need to.  Also some people still have data limits even on home internet service.  I don't but it's painless to just move games around and never though twice about it.

28 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Yeah I get like 300Mbs down on Xbox so its pretty comparable.

Currently though I can play whole it's transferring if I ever need to.  Also some people still have data limits even on home internet service.  I don't but it's painless to just move games around and never though twice about it.

Transferring is much faster than downloading. Even with 300Mbps download speed that only equates to 37.5 MBps. USB 3.0 transfer rates can go up to 400MBps.

58 minutes ago, The def star said:

Transferring is much faster than downloading. Even with 300Mbps download speed that only equates to 37.5 MBps. USB 3.0 transfer rates can go up to 400MBps.

Yeah, the current External SSD I bought recently on sale supports USB 3.1 as well, so on XSX I should get 540Mb/s.