Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

13 minutes ago, The def star said:

Has it been released? I'm really leaning towards a CX but will wait for test with the new firmware.

lg-oled-g-sync-trio.jpg
WWW.THEFPSREVIEW.COM

If you're thinking of pairing NVIDIA's new flagship graphics card with one of LG's CX Class OLED displays, you may be in for a sub-optimal display experience.

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

lg-oled-g-sync-trio.jpg
WWW.THEFPSREVIEW.COM

If you're thinking of pairing NVIDIA's new flagship graphics card with one of LG's CX Class OLED displays, you may be in for a sub-optimal display experience.

So it's not out yet?

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

And honestly he's said it like 4 or 5 times already in this thread. :p

Mr.Vic said it a while ago but I thought because Spork posted it again that maybe it was new information that the firmware is out already. It being announced that there is a fix doesn't matter. Sony's 900H has HDMI 2.1 ports and is capable of VRR, 4K @120hz but Sony hasn't pushed their firmware yet to allow the tv to do those features with no date announced. Just because they say it can do it doesn't mean it will do it well. I just asked if it was out and I got a link to the same thing Mr. Vic said.

2 hours ago, The def star said:

Mr.Vic said it a while ago but I thought because Spork posted it again that maybe it was new information that the firmware is out already. It being announced that there is a fix doesn't matter. Sony's 900H has HDMI 2.1 ports and is capable of VRR, 4K @120hz but Sony hasn't pushed their firmware yet to allow the tv to do those features with no date announced. Just because they say it can do it doesn't mean it will do it well. I just asked if it was out and I got a link to the same thing Mr. Vic said.

Vic said it in GMT so I figured I should say it in EST to be safe

BTW, @The def star, the issues with GSYNC might be separate from the issue with VRR. LG OLEDs are the only TV to support all 3 standards: Freesync (AMD), GSYNC (nVidia), and “VRR” (HDMI 2.1 standard).

The issue with GSYNC, afaik, only affects 3000 series cards and is that screen flickering could occur. The issue with VRR, however, is that the screen would get brighter when enabled - now, does it get brighter to the point it looks worse than an LED TV displaying a dark screen? No idea. Either way, LG announced the GSYNC fix as coming soon, and that they’re “working on” an update for VRR.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

BTW, @The def star, the issues with GSYNC might be separate from the issue with VRR. LG OLEDs are the only TV to support all 3 standards: Freesync (AMD), GSYNC (nVidia), and “VRR” (HDMI 2.1 standard).

The issue with GSYNC, afaik, only affects 3000 series cards and is that screen flickering could occur. The issue with VRR, however, is that the screen would get brighter when enabled - now, does it get brighter to the point it looks worse than an LED TV displaying a dark screen? No idea. Either way, LG announced the GSYNC fix as coming soon, and that they’re “working on” an update for VRR.

The fact that they support all three is one of the reasons why it's the TV I'm leaning towards. The only reason I will wait till the firmware is out and tested is because Samsung TV's support FreeSync. I bought an NU8000 specifically for the FreeSync support but it's support is lacking on the Xbox One X. It would constantly flicker and go blank every now and then. They haven't fixed it on the NU8000 since it's a 2 year old tv but I hope they have fixed it on their latest models. There is also the eArc issue with PC. I dont think it will affect me since I will console game on it if I get it but lip sync issues is pretty distracting.

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

4 hours ago, The def star said:

The fact that they support all three is one of the reasons why it's the TV I'm leaning towards. The only reason I will wait till the firmware is out and tested is because Samsung TV's support FreeSync. I bought an NU8000 specifically for the FreeSync support but it's support is lacking on the Xbox One X. It would constantly flicker and go blank every now and then. They haven't fixed it on the NU8000 since it's a 2 year old tv but I hope they have fixed it on their latest models. There is also the eArc issue with PC. I dont think it will affect me since I will console game on it if I get it but lip sync issues is pretty distracting.

LG OLEDs DO NOT support G-Sync (i.e. they do not use the technology behind G-Sync) -- they are "G-Sync compatible", which means that the Nvidia card will essentially use software based VRR with them (for monitors this is generally FreeSync, not sure if they are technically using that,the "HDMI standard" or some hybrid).  The only real difference between a "G-Sync Compatible" display, and any other VRR display is that they have been through NVidia's very basic "G-Sync compatible" certification process.

If you read any of the press releases on the LG/Nvidia marketing partnership, they are very careful to use the term "G-Sync compatible support".

If "G-Sync support" matters to you, and I'm not sure it should, these TVs don't have it.

10 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

LG OLEDs DO NOT support G-Sync (i.e. they do not use the technology behind G-Sync) -- they are "G-Sync compatible", which means that the Nvidia card will essentially use software based VRR with them (for monitors this is generally FreeSync, not sure if they are technically using that,the "HDMI standard" or some hybrid).  The only real difference between a "G-Sync Compatible" display, and any other VRR display is that they have been through NVidia's very basic "G-Sync compatible" certification process.

If you read any of the press releases on the LG/Nvidia marketing partnership, they are very careful to use the term "G-Sync compatible support".

If "G-Sync support" matters to you, and I'm not sure it should, these TVs don't have it.

Being G-SYNC compatible means they support G-SYNC. When using an nVidia card, it runs G-SYNC, not VRR, not FreeSync - it's running nVidia's software solution and not the hardware-based one. There are 3-tiers of G-SYNC, all of which still mean it supports G-SYNC. If you really want to use semantics (and for some reason it seems like you do? :p ), LG OLEDs support software G-SYNC.

Also, LG literally advertises that they're the "only manufacturer to have a TV/Panel that supports all 3 forms of variable refresh-rate". I just had a paid advertisement on either FB or reddit last night that stated as such. Saying LG OLEDs support G-SYNC is by no way an incorrect statement, saying it's "G-SYNC Certified" may be. :p 

I wouldn't get too excited over that news. XB numbers are straight up piss in Japan. Like discontinued systems still sell better then it. So while the numbers might be an improvement they're still probably dog shit. 

Harsh but one has to be realistic on the state of xbox in japan.

25 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Hey Xbox isn’t completely dead in Japan. The Skyrim thirst is real

Of the total 10 Xboxes they shipped to Japan all 10 people bought them!

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Being G-SYNC compatible means they support G-SYNC. When using an nVidia card, it runs G-SYNC, not VRR, not FreeSync - it's running nVidia's software solution and not the hardware-based one. There are 3-tiers of G-SYNC, all of which still mean it supports G-SYNC. If you really want to use semantics (and for some reason it seems like you do? :p ), LG OLEDs support software G-SYNC.

Also, LG literally advertises that they're the "only manufacturer to have a TV/Panel that supports all 3 forms of variable refresh-rate". I just had a paid advertisement on either FB or reddit last night that stated as such. :p 

To be "G-Sync compatible", the display does not need to run any GSync software.  In fact, many existing FreeSync monitors were certified as "GSync Compatible" when Nvidia launched that support.  There are three types of VRR that Nvidia supports:

1)  GSync Ultimate

2)  GSync

3)  GSync Compatible

4)  Support for FreeSync over Displayport and Support for HDMI 2.1 VRR with no branding [You just need to turn on "GSync in your driver.]

The only real difference between a "GSync Compatible" display, and any other VRR display is that it has been certified by NVidia for basic VRR functionality.  It's entirely marketing.

Since there are very few non-LG TVs that support HDMI 2.1 VRR of any sort (I'm only aware of the Samsung Q800T ATM), it's largely the same thing.  The Samsung Q800T reportedly works just fine with running VRR paired with an Nvidia GPU.

12 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

To be "G-Sync compatible", the display does not need to run any GSync software.  In fact, many existing FreeSync monitors were certified as "GSync Compatible" when Nvidia launched that support.  There are three types of VRR that Nvidia supports:

1)  GSync Ultimate

2)  GSync

3)  GSync Compatible

4)  Support for FreeSync over Displayport and Support for HDMI 2.1 VRR with no branding [You just need to turn on "GSync in your driver.]

The only real difference between a "GSync Compatible" display, and any other VRR display is that it has been certified by NVidia for basic VRR functionality.  It's entirely marketing.

I already stated most of this. G-SYNC certified and G-SYNC HDR/Ultimate is hardware based (in the monitor/TV), not software. G-SYNC “compatible” is done via software via nVidia’s drivers (which is why support for more monitors is added through driver updates). If something supports any of the 3, it supports G-SYNC, period, just perhaps not the version you’d prefer.

Since there are very few non-LG TVs that support HDMI 2.1 VRR of any sort (I'm only aware of the Samsung Q800T ATM), it's largely the same thing.  The Samsung Q800T reportedly works just fine with running VRR paired with an Nvidia GPU.

The Q800T is using HDMI 2.1 VRR, which nVidia now supports, not G-SYNC. Unless I missed when they made it G-SYNC compatible.

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I already stated most of this. G-SYNC certified and G-SYNC HDR/Ultimate is hardware based (in the monitor/TV), not software. G-SYNC “compatible” is done via software via nVidia’s drivers (which is why support for more monitors is added through driver updates). If something supports any of the 3, it supports G-SYNC, period, just perhaps not the version you’d prefer.

The Q800T is using HDMI 2.1 VRR, which nVidia now supports, not G-SYNC. Unless I missed when they made it G-SYNC compatible.

It is not G sync compatible and the VRR does work with my 2080S

4 hours ago, SimpleG said:

It is not G sync compatible and the VRR does work with my 2080S

Yup. 

Edit:  The only difference is, as far as I can tell, is Samsung didn't try to pass, or Nvidia didn't test, the TV for "G-Sync Compatible" certification.

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Because it's not using G-SYNC :p 

final_5f6e51c66ffe7f0086b0425f_779594.pn
KAPWI.NG

Image made on Kapwing

Nvidia added support for HDMI 2.1 VRR last November (the same day, in the same driver release, they announced the LG TVs were being added to the "G-Sync Compatible display" list).

57 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Yup. 

Edit:  The only difference is, as far as I can tell, is Samsung didn't try to pass, or Nvidia didn't test, the TV for "G-Sync Compatible" certification.

final_5f6e51c66ffe7f0086b0425f_779594.pn
KAPWI.NG

Image made on Kapwing

Nvidia added support for HDMI 2.1 VRR last November (the same day, in the same driver release, they announced the LG TVs were being added to the "G-Sync Compatible display" list).

It’s not, except for maybe the 3000 cards since pre-3000 had hdmi 2.0. There’s a reason why support for Freesync displays requires it to be added to drivers by nVidia - it has to meet a minimum requirement. There’s plenty of Freesync displays that are not G-SYNC compatible which simply cannot use any form pf VRR when connected to an nVidia GPU.

Is the software G-SYNC through the drivers just basically using Freesync? Yes, duh. Does it generally still need to be enabled by nVidia on a case-by-case basis? Also, yes. Does nVidia call it G-SYNC? Again, yes, because it is one of the 3 possible forms of G-SYNC, and arguing otherwise is seriously just weird.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s not, except for maybe the 3000 cards since pre-3000 had hdmi 2.0. There’s a reason why support for Freesync displays requires it to be added to drivers by nVidia - it has to meet a minimum requirement.

The 2000 series cards offered limited HDMI 2.1 VRR support.  Because of bandwidth limitations with their HDMI ports, there wasn't full support of all resolutions/frame rates.

All Freesync monitors are supported via Displayport, whether they meet the minimum requirement or not [there is no support of Freesync over HDMI].  All HDMI 2.1 VRR compatible displays are supported via HDMI.  If a display supports one of those standards, you can still use VRR by turning on "G-Sync" in your driver, regardless of whether Nvidia has deemed it worthy through it's "G-Sync Compatible" certification.

I may be coming off as a dick here -- but I think it is an important point -- particularly as (I hope) VRR becomes the norm.  IMHO, Nvidia has been "murky" on what "G-Sync Compatible" means.  There are a group of people that believes that somehow "G-Sync Compatible" displays and displays that are using HDMI 2.1 VRR are somehow using a different software/technology.  If you read the press releases, software release notes, and announcements from Nvidia/LG -- it's pretty clear that they aren't.  It's just marketing bullshit. 

The only real difference between the Samsung and LG implementation of VRR is whether they paid Nvidia for certification [in reality, I don't know if they paid for certification, but I strongly suspect that display manufacturers have to pay for certification -- perhaps Nvidia does it for free, and Samsung just failed the tests].  I feel it's an important distinction to make, and this will get more important as more TVs support VRR in the coming years.