Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

Just now, Spork3245 said:

The discussion is “if you have a gaming PC, is there a reason to own the new Xbox since all first party games are now cross released?”, it’s not a “PC vs Console” debate at all. Feel free to contribute if you have something to add, though. I’ll be buying the new Xbox despite my gaming PC for the backwards compatibility and chance of a third party console exclusive that runs better on the new Xbox over the PS5 (or runs the same as I prefer the Xbox controller).  The same tired shit that has been "debated" ad nauseum since what, the 360 days?

What could I contribute that hasn't been said repeatedly over the last decade or so? 

14 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

:hug:

Seriously, the discussion isn’t Xbox vs PC, at all. It’s “should I get a Series X? Are there exclusives for it?”. I hope you read this instead of just ignoring it like my previous post, as I’m taking the time to write it in good faith.

It was an honest question from @Jason asking, as someone who games on PC, if there’s a reason to get the new Xbox in terms of exclusives since all MS Published games since GoW4/FH3 are cross-released, where if you buy one version digitally you get both Xbox and PC versions, and the games are all cross-play where PC players and Xbox players can play together. 
What reason would you say there is for a PC Gamer who also games on consoles to get the new Xbox instead of or in addition to a PS5? Typically it was for exclusive content, like how PC Gamers couldn’t play the majority of Halo or GoW titles, or any Forza titles. MS, 2/3rds of the way through this current gen, and in this upcoming gen, is seemingly trying to unite PC Gaming and Xbox gaming into a singular platform of sorts. Do you disagree with that?

For me, who has always gamed on all platforms without much preference except with certain specific titles, I cannot think of a reason for a PC Gamer without a back catalogue of Xbox-ecosystem games to get a Series X since the platforms are now united. MS makes money either way, and thus it’s unbelievably smart on their part. I’ll be getting a Series X, but it’s mostly for the my OG Xbox and 360 games.

48 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I mean it's like we KNOW games play better on PC and you have MODS and Raytracing and all of that shit... WE DON'T GIVE A SHIT. @JPDunks4 has a monster rig... I have a decent PC that I edit on that runs games pretty well at high settings. I STILL prefer to game on my consoles. There's a whole PC gaming board that these guys can circle jerk in over their graphic cards yet here they are... in both next gen console threads :| Hilarious.

@Emperor Diocletian II has unified the boards and both PC gamers and Console gamers can post together in harmony!

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Buying video games aren't an investment.  Investments, by definition, are expected to gain value and provide a return.

You already have a box under your TV that plays those games fine under your TV, why does spending $500 to have them play marginally better, while I assume, you are not buying new games for the box (because your PC plays them better) make sense?

As someone who has a pretty significant library on both Sony/MS console ecosystems -- that is not something I would do.

The PC has always been the obvious choice for keeping a library that consistently comes with you, and can improve continually along the way.  For a long time, it was the only place you could reasonably expect performance of older games to improve with better hardware.  Microsoft arguably didn't take huge strides with improving older games until the X released.  (and at $300, that's still an option)  It's all a relatively new phenomenon in the console space.  So this idea that someone 'invested' in an og Xbox/360 library back when for this is stretching the truth.  It wasn't a reason to buy console games to begin with.

Series X will be the first time we see Microsoft's efforts towards that at a new generation console launch.  But there's still some significant gaps with og Xbox library (Riddick, Ootogi, etc), let alone the 360's.

Fun Fact: A former Metal Arms developer leaked a texture pack of higher quality Xbox assets for Dolphin because he wanted to see his work in HD.  I'm sure he had faith Microsoft would get around to it. :raisedbrow:  There's also games like Soul Calibur IV that are fully playable in emulators but unplayable on modern consoles.

Microsoft's commitment to backwards compatibility is most exciting with the XBO generation going forward, IMO.  You can feel pretty safe buying a Series X game and thinking it'll still be supported (and improved upon) in generations to come.  Though some of that could still depend on publisher relationships if Microsoft still lets them opt out: SquareEnix, WB and Bandai Namco have a pretty lousy record of it.

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Buying video games aren't an investment.  Investments, by definition, are expected to gain value and provide a return.

You already have a box under your TV that plays those games fine under your TV, why does spending $500 to have them play marginally better, while I assume, you are not buying new games for the box (because your PC plays them better) make sense?

As someone who has a pretty significant library on both Sony/MS console ecosystems -- that is not something I would do.

AS to the Xbox being more kid friendly -- how do I convince my kids of this?  They keep wanting to use my gaming PC (and the family laptop) because Roblox/Minecraft play better with Mouse/keyboard (and wanting to chat with friends on Discord).

Most PC gamers have PC's that can play all their games fine, yet many will spend the $500+ for a new graphics card to play them marginally better?

And if I have an Xbox Series X, I will still have access to the Game Pass Library, and Xbox 1st Party games on there without making any additional purchase above buying those games for PC.  So yes, I will still be making purchases on it, and I may even still buy 3rd party games on it as well.  I'll be deciding on a game by game basis generally.  If I buy a game on PC, I'm more or less limited to playing it in my office on my 27 inch monitor with no HDR right now.

If I buy my games on Xbox, I can play it in my office, family room, parents houses, sisters house, ect.  Just bring along my little external HD, plug it in at their house, and have a big chunk of my library with me.  None of them have gaming PC at their houses, so when I'm traveling and visiting, I lose access to my PC gaming library, but not my Xbox library.

4 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

And if I have an Xbox Series X, I will still have access to the Game Pass Library, and Xbox 1st Party games on there without making any additional purchase above buying those games for PC.

There is Game pass ultimate that lets you play game pass games on PC as well!

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

There is Game pass ultimate that lets you play game pass games on PC as well!

I know, I have it for the next 3 years already.

I just mean, I don't need to keep buying games on Xbox, as I can still access game pass titles on it as part of my existing subscription.

I do wish EA would make EA Premiere apply to all hardware.  I have it on PC but wish it'd also give me that access on console as well.

1 minute ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

And here I thought I was the only one paid up through 2023 :lol:

I actually did it a few months ago.  When I renewed it asked me to convert it to Game Pass Ultimate for $1.00, so I bought 3 year cards and activated all of them, or whatever max they'd let me, and then converted it all to Game Pass.  I thought I had missed the boat initially but I did it relatively recently.

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

Most PC gamers have PC's that can play all their games fine, yet many will spend the $500+ for a new graphics card to play them marginally better?

1) You don't think they are primarily motivated by having the opportunity of playing future games?

2)  If they were focused on older games, don't you think that PC games have more options to make them look better?  Won't Witcher 2 look better on a PC than on a SeX -- because SeX won't have the graphical options to use Ultra?

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

And if I have an Xbox Series X, I will still have access to the Game Pass Library, and Xbox 1st Party games on there without making any additional purchase above buying those games for PC.  So yes, I will still be making purchases on it, and I may even still buy 3rd party games on it as well.  I'll be deciding on a game by game basis generally.  If I buy a game on PC, I'm more or less limited to playing it in my office on my 27 inch monitor with no HDR right now.

If I buy my games on Xbox, I can play it in my office, family room, parents houses, sisters house, ect.  Just bring along my little external HD, plug it in at their house, and have a big chunk of my library with me.  None of them have gaming PC at their houses, so when I'm traveling and visiting, I lose access to my PC gaming library, but not my Xbox library.

You can easily hook up your PC to your TV if HDR is your priority.

I'm not sure that most people bring their Xbox's to other people's houses to game.  :)  If that's your main motivation, that's something completely different from your previous posts.

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I'm not sure that most people bring their Xbox's to other people's houses to game.  :)  If that's your main motivation, that's something completely different from your previous posts.

No, I have Xbox's hooked up in all the houses or different rooms.  Don't intend to hook up Gaming Rigs in all of them.

15 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

1) You don't think they are primarily motivated by having the opportunity of playing future games?

2)  If they were focused on older games, don't you think that PC games have more options to make them look better?  Won't Witcher 2 look better on a PC than on a SeX -- because SeX won't have the graphical options to use Ultra?

You can easily hook up your PC to your TV if HDR is your priority.

1 - Yes, and having an Xbox Series X will allow me to also play future games at better fidelity than my Xbox One X as well?  I really don't understand the logic here?

2 - Once again, yes, PC games have better options.  Once again, I have no intention of rebuying 500+ titles I already own on Xbox, on PC just because my PC will play them better?

Is that really a hard concept to grasp?

You also can throw in that there are still plenty of titles in my Xbox Library not available on PC at all either.  $500 is not a big investment for 5+ years of entertainment for me.  

No ones trying to tell hardcore PC Gamers to buy an Xbox Series X.  All I said, was if you own a gaming PC, the main reason IMO to buy a Series X  is if you are already invested in Xbox's ecosystem, I think there is a place for Series X in your setup due to the commitment and features MS are throwing at Backwards Compatibility. 

41 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

No, I have Xbox's hooked up in all the houses or different rooms.  Don't intend to hook up Gaming Rigs in all of them.

How many Xbox's do you have?

george clooney look GIF

35 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

1 - Yes, and having an Xbox Series X will allow me to also play future games at better fidelity than my Xbox One X as well?  I really don't understand the logic here?

2 - Once again, yes, PC games have better options.  Once again, I have no intention of rebuying 500+ titles I already own on Xbox, on PC just because my PC will play them better?

Is that really a hard concept to grasp?

You also can throw in that there are still plenty of titles in my Xbox Library not available on PC at all either.  $500 is not a big investment for 5+ years of entertainment for me.  

No ones trying to tell hardcore PC Gamers to buy an Xbox Series X.  All I said, was if you own a gaming PC, the main reason IMO to buy a Series X  is if you are already invested in Xbox's ecosystem, I think there is a place for Series X in your setup due to the commitment and features MS are throwing at Backwards Compatibility. 

1) But worse than your PC...  That was the whole point of this thread.

2)  Who suggested that?

18 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Yeah, let’s disparage emulators when there’s still some og Xbox and 360 games that can only be played on them or original hardware.

I’m not disparaging emulators or emulation. I’m disparaging the idea that PC emulators make wanting a XSX for BC moot. Plus, there’s the issue of “obtaining” the ROMs.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

How many Xbox's do you have?

1) But worse than your PC...  That was the whole point of this thread.

2)  Who suggested that?

A lot.  My sister has one at her house, my brother has one at his house.

I bought some to have at my parents homes.  Convenience to have my gaming library pretty much wherever I go when I travel and visit family is pretty great.

1 - No, the question in the thread was, if I have a gaming PC, and pretty much all games going forward will be on PC, is there a reason for a Series X.  I said yeah, if you have invested into the ecosystem and want those old games you invested in to play better than they did, I think there's a reason to get an Xbox Series X because of the work Microsoft as put into Backwards Compatibility. 

All of that literally has absolutely nothing to do with PC gaming, and those that have been primarily PC gamers.  Yet, for whatever reason, PC people felt the need to come in and defend PC gaming?  So damn insecure. 

2 - You brought up the fact PC gaming will play old games better because of Ultra settings and other options. Yeah no shit, thanks for stating the obvious!  That also would require me to rebuy all my old games to play them on PC at those settings.  Hence why I said, I have no interest in rebuying games I already own to play them marginally better on PC.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I have four Xbox One Xs in my house. It’s nice to have an easy way to share content between the various rooms.

Yup.  Personally have 3 Xbox's in my house.  1 Xbox One X in my "Game Room".  2 Xbox One S's, one in bedroom, one in family room, primarily for streaming, but used for gaming when needed.

When friends come to visit, its nice to be able to jump into some multiplayer together with one down in the family room and me in the "Game Room". 

Then having a One S at my parents homes, when the family gets together, its fun playing with the family at times.

I don't really get whats so hard to comprehend about all that.

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It was an honest question from @Jason asking, as someone who games on PC, if there’s a reason to get the new Xbox in terms of exclusives since all MS Published games since GoW4/FH3 are cross-released, where if you buy one version digitally you get both Xbox and PC versions, and the games are all cross-play where PC players and Xbox players can play together. 

So clearly this @Jason fault for stirring the pot 

33333660.jpg

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I have four Xbox One Xs in my house. It’s nice to have an easy way to share content between the various rooms.

6 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Yup.  Personally have 3 Xbox's in my house.  1 Xbox One X in my "Game Room".  2 Xbox One S's, one in bedroom, one in family room, primarily for streaming, but used for gaming when needed.

When friends come to visit, its nice to be able to jump into some multiplayer together with one down in the family room and me in the "Game Room". 

Then having a One S at my parents homes, when the family gets together, its fun playing with the family at times.

I have two at my apartment in LA and one here at my parent's place. 

37 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

You do you, but damn that’s a lot of money to invest to not have to move a box around.  Back in my day we did LAN parties the same room.  *shakes cane*

Are you thinking you’ll buy this many Series X’s at some point?  Or will you be all in on X Cloud?

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Damn that’s a lot of money to invest to not have to move a box around.

He is the prince of Dunkin Donuts, it’s but a pittance :p 

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

You do you, but damn that’s a lot of money to invest to not have to move a box around.  Back in my day we did LAN parties the same room.  *shakes cane*

Are you thinking you’ll buy this many Series X’s at some point?  Or will you be all in on X Cloud?

At launch, I bought 2 Xbox Ones, one for Living Room, one for Bedroom, as at the time I didn't have a game room set up yet. When Xbox One X dropped, I bought 2, one for each 4k TV.  Eventually I realized, I don't do much gaming in my bedroom, I can put a One S in there and give the One X to my brother.  

I didn't buy all of them at launch or at full price.  When One S would come bundled with a game I was going to buy anyway, I'd buy the bundle.  Or I'd buy them during sales.  Over the course of 7 years, spending a a few hundred here and there for the convenience of it all, is worth it to me.

I honestly am not sure about the Series X currently.  I am definitely going to buy one for my Game Room, but doubt I'll upgrade anything else right away, and wait for bundles or sales.  Or I will see what Series S is all about, and possibly replace the One S's with Series S's.  I don't need Series X's to do casual gaming with my family, or for my friends to play on when visiting.  Also need to see what games will be "Next Gen" only, since MS 1st party will play across gens for at least another year.