Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

On 7/28/2020 at 8:44 AM, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Conversation over. Gabe declares XBSeX > PS5. That’s all folks. Back to talking about how 343 destroyed the Halo franchise 

Won’t have Spider-man, GoW, Horizon, Naughty Dog games... Don’t get me wrong, the Series X might be a really great deal, and im gonna get one after I get a PS5, but I play games, not hardware specs. Generation after generation I end up playing far more Sony and Nintendo franchises than I do X-box, and multi-platform games I usually play on PC.  

Shooters are something I spend very little time with, so that probably is part of the reason I’m not super hyped about them. I’ll play the Halo campaign, but its 50/50 if I ever turn on the multiplayer to play it. I liked the first few Gears, but 5 did nothing for me. Sports games don’t do it for me either. 

9 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I love seeing this sentiment when Sony doesn’t have the top console in terms of power/performance. The Sony blow hard fans* will always gladly cum over specs when Sony’s got the edge. 

*not saying you’re a Sony blow hard fan. 

I’ve never cared about specs. I mean, I will play a multi-platform on the best box for the game, which is usually PC, but in the end I care about games, and I happen to love sony’s games. Like I said, im not into online shooters. I like single player experiences. I’ll certainly play the halo campaign snd Gears, etc, but I won’t sink any time into mp. 

If Sony put their games on PC (day and date) I wouldn’t jump at a PS5 either. 

I will still probably get a Series X within a year of launch, but first I’ll be getting a PS5 and Miles Morales! I wish Horizon was a launch game too. 

Edit: Also, has Sony ever had the top performing console? The 360 im not sure about, but isn’t the One the more powerful box?

17 minutes ago, number305 said:

Question... 

Why didn't Microsoft show Minecraft on the series X show? I thought they were going to have raytracing running on it for the XSX. This has me worried that they are having trouble actually running games with raytracing turned on. 

Probably because it's an old game and if you wanted to see it you could look at someone playing it on the PC.

21 minutes ago, number305 said:

Question... 

Why didn't Microsoft show Minecraft on the series X show? I thought they were going to have raytracing running on it for the XSX. This has me worried that they are having trouble actually running games with raytracing turned on. 

Unless DF is lying they claimed they saw it in person running on hardware already.  MS gets hate when they show Minecraft stuff at their shows cause it's "Old".

Since Wasteland 3 comes out in just a few weeks, inXile Entertainment has announced one of their new games, Frostpoint VR: Proving Grounds (a multiplayer VR shooter, team-based, PvPvE and definitely not my thing). This doesn't sound like the game @JPDunks4 was referring too, which definitely seems to be coming (since Frostpoint comes out just later this year). As a result, here's an updated list of what Microsoft's first party studios are up to:

-343 Industries: Halo Infinite

-The Coalition: Gears of  War 6 (most likely)

-Double Fine: Psychonauts 2

-inXile Entertainment: Frostpoint VR: Proving Grounds; untitled triple AAA RPG

-Ninja Theory: Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II

-Obsidian Entertainment: Avowed; Grounded

-Playground Games: Fable

-Rare: Everwild

-Turn 10 Studios: Forza Motorsport

-Undead Labs: State of Decay 3

-World’s Edge: Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition (with Tantalus Media)

-Relic Entertainment: Age of Empires IV (not a first party studio but still kind of counts)

-Compulsion Games: ?????

-The Initiative: ?????

-Mojang Studios: just released Minecraft Dungeons

I took Wasteland 3 off of the list since it has been essentially released now. It's a solid slate of games, many unproven but could turn out really good. I'm definitely in for Gears 6 and Hellblade II at least. Depending on reviews and word of mouth, I may also be in for Halo Infinite, Psychonauts 2, Avowed, Fable, Everwild, and Age of Empires IV. That's a pretty good turn out for me personally. 

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

-343 Industries: Halo Infinite

-The Coalition: Gears of  War 6 (most likely)

-Double Fine: Psychonauts 2

-inXile Entertainment: Frostpoint VR: Proving Grounds; untitled triple AAA RPG

-Ninja Theory: Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II

-Obsidian Entertainment: Avowed; Grounded

-Playground Games: Fable

-Rare: Everwild

-Turn 10 Studios: Forza Motorsport

-Undead Labs: State of Decay 3

-World’s Edge: Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition (with Tantalus Media)

-Relic Entertainment: Age of Empires IV (not a first party studio but still kind of counts)

-Compulsion Games: ?????

-The Initiative: ?????

-Mojang Studios: just released Minecraft Dungeons

Some additional news - 

Double Fines next project will be new IP.  Many thought they may be tasked with making a new Banjo or Conker.  

Playground Games is 2 teams I believe, with one still working on Forza Horizon series.

Compulsion when bought was roughly a 45 person team, they are currently at 100 people, and just moved into a new office space to accommodate up to 120 people.

Rare is still working on Sea of Thieves as well, as it recently sold over a million copies on its Steam release, and over 500k monthly active users.  I think SoT will be supported for a long time.

As you said, this list may not get everyone super excited as many of these studios were smaller AA teams.   Many of the smaller teams, like inXile/Ninja Theory/Obsidian have proven to be quality developers, putting out pretty high quality games with very limited resources and team sizes. 

I haven't played an inXile Game yet, but I'm going to try to play their earlier stuff to get a better idea of their style of game.

Compulsion hasn't made anything that has been rated high yet, and I haven't played either Contrast or We Happy Few yet to have any opinion.

I have played a few of Double Fines games over the years, but they are such an odd developer hat does such unique things, it's hard to know what to expect from their next project.  I do look forward to playing Pyschonauts finally before the 2nd one releases.

There were also rumors that Coalition may have a 2nd team as well working on a 2nd game.

Either way, I think it should be fun and interesting to see how these studios come along over the course of this next Gen.

29 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Double Fines next project will be new IP.  Many thought they may be tasked with making a new Banjo or Conker.  

Playground Games is 2 teams I believe, with one still working on Forza Horizon series.

Compulsion when bought was roughly a 45 person team, they are currently at 100 people, and just moved into a new office space to accommodate up to 120 people.

Rare is still working on Sea of Thieves as well, as it recently sold over a million copies on its Steam release, and over 500k monthly active users.  I think SoT will be supported for a long time.

I haven't played an inXile Game yet, but I'm going to try to play their earlier stuff to get a better idea of their style of game.

Compulsion hasn't made anything that has been rated high yet, and I haven't played either Contrast or We Happy Few yet to have any opinion.

I have played a few of Double Fines games over the years, but they are such an odd developer hat does such unique things, it's hard to know what to expect from their next project.  I do look forward to playing Pyschonauts finally before the 2nd one releases.

There were also rumors that Coalition may have a 2nd team as well working on a 2nd game.

Either way, I think it should be fun and interesting to see how these studios come along over the course of this next Gen.

Nice, these news updates help! We'll see if any of these rumors/rumblings come to fruition. I have played Contrast, and I actually loved it as an indie PS4 launch game. It didn't get good reviews at the time, but I think it deserved better reviews than it got for its style, music, and atmosphere. We Happy Few, yeah, that wasn't so good but there's potential with the company.

I love most if not all the companies Microsoft bought up, so I'm hoping all these new games/IP's get good reviews and word of mouth, I'll definitely play them if they do, it's just many of the games right now are unknown quantities (whereas Gears 6 and Hellblade II are known quantities) so I'm hoping for the best with all the ones I named that I'm interested in. I mean, Avowed, Fable, and Everwild could be really good. Psychonauts 2 probably will be too. Halo Infinite and Age of Empires IV will need to prove they are really good iterations of their respective franchises before I jump in. I don't do racing games so no Forza for me, and I didn't play State of Decay 1 or 2 so no interest in 3. I also don't really do online multiplayer so Frostpoint and Grounded are also out for me. But I imagine racing, State of Decay, and online multiplayer gaming fans are amped for those games.

It's a solid lineup, and Microsoft no longer cares where you buy their shit, it's great.

4 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Unless I'm using the wrong app, that looks nothing like the current Xbox Store App on PC.

Would you settle for, "Looks very similar to that"?

And once they add all the extra text and sidebars it will look EXACTLY like that.

EDIT:

Talking about the XBOX App - Not "Xbox Store app" or Microsoft Store

On 7/23/2020 at 10:09 AM, ManUtdRedDevils said:

This confirms MS should buy WB

and TicTok . . . to soon? lol

Anyways,

I do not see how GamePass makes money. It' really seems way to good to be true and that is so very rare these days. Maybe we just aren't used to getting what we pay for and being generously compensated. At full price it's a steal IMHO. I got mine through a link from here where someone said sign up for Gamepass and it counts the amount of Xbox Live you had at the time of subscribing as the start date for the monthly cost! Meaning I was just 1 month into my new 24 month 2year suscription when I subed for the 1 dollar for the first month thingy for GamePass Ultimate. Then I had / have 23 month before the first months payment will be collected. No way? I feel like I stole something. So I do plan on staying on for the long haul, but won't be sending anything til 2022 for pete-sakes!!

Seriously, It's a great deal either for Ultimate for Pc guys too or on it's own,  I wish we could put pre-orders down for the SeriesX.  Shit, I forgot I promised I would not buy the Series X this tear as I have a 1 year old 2080Ti Gaming PC. I do want to know price and look forward to seeing the big 2 go at it full tilt. Love gaming and gaming news. Add in a hotly contested Console launch from Microsoft and Sony into the mix and it's just Yummy days for us.....

1 minute ago, HardAct said:

and TicTok . . . to soon? lol

Anyways,

I do not see how GamePass makes money. It' really seems way to good to be true and that is so very rare these days. Maybe we just aren't used to getting what we pay for and being generously compensated. At full price it's a steal IMHO. I got mine through a link from here where someone said sign up for Gamepass and it counts the amount of Xbox Live you had at the time of subscribing as the start date for the monthly cost! Meaning I was just 1 month into my new 24 month 2year suscription when I subed for the 1 dollar for the first month thingy for GamePass Ultimate. Then I had / have 23 month before the first months payment will be collected. No way? I feel like I stole something. So I do plan on staying on for the long haul, but won't be sending anything til 2022 for pete-sakes!!

Seriously, It's a great deal either for Ultimate for Pc guys too or on it's own,  I wish we could put pre-orders down for the SeriesX.  Shit, I forgot I promised I would not buy the Series X this tear as I have a 1 year old 2080Ti Gaming PC. I do want to know price and look forward to seeing the big 2 go at it full tilt. Love gaming and gaming news. Add in a hotly contested Console launch from Microsoft and Sony into the mix and it's just Yummy days for us.....

Cost of customer acquisition.  They aren't concerned with short term profits but growth for the first few years.  Netflix always lost money while they were focused on growth.

If they can get somewhere in the 30-50 million sub range, all paying on avg $10-15 a month, they will be making money.  Think about it, if a 1st Party great game sells like 10 million copies selling at $60, they pull in $600 million at best each time they have a huge huge selling game like that from 1st party.  And that's assuming its selling at full price and digitally where they keep 100% of the sale.  If Microsoft can get to even 30 million subs at $10.00 per month, that's $300 million in revenue monthly.  It'd take 2 months to pull in the same revenue as a 10 million best selling game.

Microsoft by most accounts is nearly at 15 million subs right now, and granted plenty might be on introductory offers, but they also haven't had the strongest 1st Party Production in quite awhile.  If they can strengthen that up and start offering really high quality exclusive content regularly, and continue to grow subs, I think it could potentially become a huge success for Microsoft.

55 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Cost of customer acquisition.  They aren't concerned with short term profits but growth for the first few years.  Netflix always lost money while they were focused on growth.

If they can get somewhere in the 30-50 million sub range, all paying on avg $10-15 a month, they will be making money.  Think about it, if a 1st Party great game sells like 10 million copies selling at $60, they pull in $600 million at best each time they have a huge huge selling game like that from 1st party.  And that's assuming its selling at full price and digitally where they keep 100% of the sale.  If Microsoft can get to even 30 million subs at $10.00 per month, that's $300 million in revenue monthly.  It'd take 2 months to pull in the same revenue as a 10 million best selling game.

Microsoft by most accounts is nearly at 15 million subs right now, and granted plenty might be on introductory offers, but they also haven't had the strongest 1st Party Production in quite awhile.  If they can strengthen that up and start offering really high quality exclusive content regularly, and continue to grow subs, I think it could potentially become a huge success for Microsoft.

Two things:

1) 1st party games can’t sustain a service like Games Pass alone.  It takes spending money on others’ games, big and small, to fill gaps and retain subscribers.  I still believe that with Microsoft’s output, it makes much more sense than chasing $60 sales first.  I’d imagine it makes significantly more for them particularly.  Whereas with Nintendo and their evergreen titles, it might not make sense at all... yet.

2) You’re correct that Games Pass is still in the growth period.  Like Netflix, we shouldn’t count out price hikes to sustain and scale.  Competition in the subscription sphere will inevitably bring challengers, and they need to be ready for a point when more AAA publishers break rank.  We’re seeing signs of that much sooner than with Netflix, because publishers are saavy to trends elsewhere.

All in all, Microsoft is in the place they should be right now.  It’s going to be an interesting next few years see how the rest of the industry adapts.

57 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Two things:

1) 1st party games can’t sustain a service like Games Pass alone.  It takes spending money on others’ games, big and small, to fill gaps and retain subscribers.  I still believe that with Microsoft’s output, it makes much more sense than chasing $60 sales first.  I’d imagine it makes significantly more for them particularly.  Whereas with Nintendo and their evergreen titles, it might not make sense at all... yet.

2) You’re correct that Games Pass is still in the growth period.  Like Netflix, we shouldn’t count out price hikes to sustain and scale.  Competition in the subscription sphere will inevitably bring challengers, and they need to be ready for a point when more AAA publishers break rank.  We’re seeing signs of that much sooner than with Netflix, because publishers are saavy to trends elsewhere.

All in all, Microsoft is in the place they should be right now.  It’s going to be an interesting next few years see how the rest of the industry adapts.

On your first point - I have no idea what MS is paying other companies for their games - but several publishers have said they are seeing 5x sales after getting on game pass.  MS probably has people coming to them at this point to get on game pass.

For your second point, I'm not sure how many companies can support their own game pass type service.  EA for sure and obviously Sony and Nintendo if they had the interest.  Who else?  I think with TV you will eventually see pull back because not every network is going to be able to get $15 per month from enough people.  

Next few years will for sure be interesting.  

Just now, number305 said:

On your first point - I have no idea what MS is paying other companies for their games - but several publishers have said they are seeing 5x sales after getting on game pass.  MS probably has people coming to them at this point to get on game pass.

For your second point, I'm not sure how many companies can support their own game pass type service.  EA for sure and obviously Sony and Nintendo if they had the interest.  Who else?  I think with TV you will eventually see pull back because not every network is going to be able to get $15 per month from enough people.  

Next few years will for sure be interesting.  

You're already seeing it... CBS All access will start showing content from OTHER Viacom networks that had their own pay services. Look for more consolidation in the future.

1 hour ago, number305 said:

Indies are the ones saying that for the most part.

1 hour ago, number305 said:

Activision Blizzard.  2K.  SquareEnix.  Capcom.  EA and Ubisoft are already in on it.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You're already seeing it... CBS All access will start showing content from OTHER Viacom networks that had their own pay services. Look for more consolidation in the future.

With games, there’s ample opportunity for 3rd party subscriptions to sustain and not to be forced to consolidate.  All you need is an audience invested in a multiplayer brand like CoD, Madden, Monster Hunter, GTA, Rainbow Six, Avengers, etc.  It’s that type of content that can keep people paying.  And is a distinct advantage that games media has.  There's more opportunities to build sustained interest.

Season passes are already doing this. ;)

36 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

There’s ample opportunity for 3rd party subscriptions to sustain and not to be forced to consolidate.  All you need is an audience invested in a multiplayer brand like CoD, Madden, Monster Hunter, GTA, Rainbow Six, Avengers, etc.  It’s that type of content that can keep people paying.  And is a distinct advantage that games media has.  There's more opportunities to build sustained interest.

Season passes are already doing this. ;)

There is a difference between a season pass or a subscriptions to some games multiplayer - and what game pass is.  

Game pass is tons of games - added to several times per month.  Yep lots of those are smaller games, but you get a big release game at least once a month.  Outside of the three console manufactures and EA I just don't see anyone else being successful doing that.  (add steam in there - I wasn't thinking about PC)  Yes everyone can and probably will try to pull something off.  I just don't think they will succeed doing it.  Several of the games you mention are already or were at one time game pass games (Monster Hunter, GTA).  My guess is that Avengers will be added to that list by this time next year because it will add tons of new players who will take part in micro transactions and game sales.  

33 minutes ago, number305 said:

There is a difference between a season pass or a subscriptions to some games multiplayer - and what game pass is.  

Game pass is tons of games - added to several times per month.  Yep lots of those are smaller games, but you get a big release game at least once a month.  Outside of the three console manufactures and EA I just don't see anyone else being successful doing that.  (add steam in there - I wasn't thinking about PC)  Yes everyone can and probably will try to pull something off.  I just don't think they will succeed doing it.  Several of the games you mention are already or were at one time game pass games (Monster Hunter, GTA).  My guess is that Avengers will be added to that list by this time next year because it will add tons of new players who will take part in micro transactions and game sales.  

EA/Origin Access has lived on for years without doing a big release each month.  

There's no reason a publisher would have to compete directly on Games Pass' terms.  There's no fault in going after a slice of the pie.  And if it fails, that's no biggie, since people will still keep buying their games regardless.  That's the approach Ubisoft has taken with Uplay+.  They seem to not be concerned with the price and value comparison.  They just know people into their properties will pay them one way or another.  They're positioning themselves more as Nintendo would in that regard: the software drives the adoption.

My thought about season passes was mainly that publishers already have big enough properties to sustain subscriptions.  CoD Battle Passes are $10 apiece and last roughly two months.  Activision could set up an all access annualized sub for only CoD still make out just fine today.  No extra games needed.

Games like GTA and CoD don't have to go searching for an audience.  They already have one.  Getting releases on services like Games Pass or EGS can drive micro-transactions sales further, sure.  But I don't think that's the path forward next-gen when platform holders are now allowing 3rd parties to set up subscriptions themselves.

We know SquareEnix is looking into it.  If Avengers does end up on Games Pass, it would do more to signify how far their own service is away in the future.