Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

41 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Whatever happened to Tomcat after all his hype talk and now MS just crashed and burned?

No need to keep raging on the guy but for an Xbox fan this event had a lot of great stuff to look forward to. So there is tons for him to be hyped over.

I thought it was an okay show. I was kinda getting hyped and was thinking maybe I’ll buy both consoles on release day, but this conference definitely dissuaded me from doing that. To me the console difference is negligible it’s all about what games you’re going to have and nothing really jumped out at me that says I’m going to want an XSX at some point. Maybe that will change in the future. 

51 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This show was a crash and burn?

All the games shown for what supposedly is the most powerful system ever seemed lackluster at best. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart now that actually showed something that wouldn't have been possible current gen.

What happened to all the "mic drops" that were supposed to happen?

38 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

All the games shown for what supposedly is the most powerful system ever seemed lackluster at best. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart now that actually showed something that wouldn't have been possible current gen.

What happened to all the "mic drops" that were supposed to happen?

In this context, I agree they dropped the ball.

From this:

To this:

To what we saw this year... there was no big showcase of what next-gen could mean.  Forza probably came closest, but we needed to see more of it.  And that franchise recently took the lead in selling the X1X's vision.

14 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think those detail issues with Halo will get worked out before launch. If anything was good about Halo 4 and 5 it was the graphics, so 343 can get the graphics right.

Well yeah, if they're not planning on putting in raytracing at launch. :p

That still doesn't make sense to me.  They're launching a next gen console with a flagship franchise.  Why are they already telling us to expect a substantial visual upgrade post-release?  They should have kept that info closer to the chest.  Some will be fine holding off to wait for the goods.

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

The difference in visuals between Halo 5 beta and its full release was stark.

I think its important to note that the beta was specifically scaled down. If I recall it was locked 720p/60fps.

I also think some parts of the beta do a much better job in lightning and scenery than the full release. Mostly notable in Eden and Empire, while Truth looks much worse than full. Here is an image thread

Halo 5: Guardians - Beta vs Retail : halo

Watching post-game impressions from various youtube channels that have been blatanly pro-Sony over the years has been head-bangingly annoying.

Kinda Funny:

During the show: "Ooooh! Oh cool! Wow! Sweet! Nice, Fable, finally!"

After the show: "Well I wasn't very impressed."

I get it. The show was decent, but aside from Fable (which was the worst-kept secret on the internet) there weren't any mic-drop moments. Microsoft didn't do themselves any favors with the Halo Infinite gameplay, which could've included a more intense part of the game (and also using gameplay I'm convinced was Xbox One X).

BUT... I was hearing "I just want to see gameplay" followed by "all we saw was some gameplay." Sigh...

The mind-numbling dumb impressions from people in the industry that are supposed to be informed just made me shake my head. All Angry Joe kept saying the whole time was "but it's just a trailer.. but all they showed was a trailer." After every game announcement. MS acquired these studios TWO years ago, many of whom were in the middle of finishing up projects they were already working on. They are very much just starting on their official MS first-party projects. Avowed wouldn't be started until they finished Outer Worlds and Grounded. Playground Games was ramping their hiring for an "open world rpg" just last year. Neither of these projects included Xbox One in their platform listing. Since MS has already said all their games would support Xbox One for at least a year or two, that means these games are 2023 releases AT THE EARLIEST. Why would anyone expect gameplay? 

It amazes me, especially with channels like Angry Joe, that they seem to be so uninformed about anything that doesn't fall inside their tiny circle of games they like.

Overall I'd give it a B-. As a Series X show it was not very good, but as a Gamepass show it was great. I wanted an awesome next gen show, MS seems to have wanted a Gamepass show. In the end it was fine, not bad, not great, above average.

I'll be holding off on Halo until it gets the actual next gen patch. What they showed didn't look next gen, it didn't even look impressive for current gen. Avowed and Fable give me something to look forward to in a couple years though.

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

BUT... I was hearing "I just want to see gameplay" followed by "all we saw was some gameplay." Sigh...

The mind-numbling dumb impressions from people in the industry that are supposed to be informed just made me shake my head. All Angry Joe kept saying the whole time was "but it's just a trailer.. but all they showed was a trailer." After every game announcement. MS acquired these studios TWO years ago, many of whom were in the middle of finishing up projects they were already working on. They are very much just starting on their official MS first-party projects. Avowed wouldn't be started until they finished Outer Worlds and Grounded. Playground Games was ramping their hiring for an "open world rpg" just last year. Neither of these projects included Xbox One in their platform listing. Since MS has already said all their games would support Xbox One for at least a year or two, that means these games are 2023 releases AT THE EARLIEST. Why would anyone expect gameplay? 

It amazes me, especially with channels like Angry Joe, that they seem to be so uninformed about anything that doesn't fall inside their tiny circle of games they like.

They're terrible at articulating this, but I think this comes down more to presentational balance.

Ideally, we'd see more direct game footage than anything else at a typical annual presentation.  Perhaps a few "story" trailers with light gameplay footage interspersed.  Then a few playable demos on the show floor.  That way, all the other window dressing we've come to expect - CG trailers, target renders, vague teases that don't explain the game - wouldn't feel like they're pulling the weight of the showcase.  Especially not with a console transition as we're all trying to come to terms with what next gen means.

It's been a problem for years now.  Microsoft is far from the only offender.  I find it really unfortunate that Halo is getting the reception it has, because honestly, E3 could use more of those kinds of reveals.  I want publishers to be daring enough to show us stage demos, warts and all.

20 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

It's been a problem for years now.  Microsoft is far from the only offender.  I find it really unfortunate that Halo is getting the reception it has, because honestly, E3 could use more of those kinds of reveals.  I want publishers to be daring enough to show us stage demos, warts and all.

And that's kinda what bothers me. Everybody wanted to see gameplay. They gave Microsoft tons of shit (rightfully so) after their last show for not showing gameplay. So guess what? They showed gameplay. MS literally can't fucking win.

And I'm not making excuses here, but I have a suspicion that what we saw was current gen Halo Infinite. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the Series X "enhanced" version of Halo Infinite isn't set to release until after December.

Maybe it was even a demo from an old build. 343 aren't exactly technical wizards, but Halo 4 looked fantastic and that was a 360 game. I have to believe there's no way Halo Infinite is going to be this ugly when it releases, especially on Series X.

I really wish MS would shut up about the whole "taking full advantage of the Series X" bullshit. We all know that's a moving goalpost. 

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

And that's kinda what bothers me. Everybody wanted to see gameplay. They gave Microsoft tons of shit (rightfully so) after their last show for not showing gameplay. So guess what? They showed gameplay. MS literally can't fucking win.

And I'm not making excuses here, but I have a suspicion that what we saw was current gen Halo Infinite. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the Series X "enhanced" version of Halo Infinite isn't set to release until after December.

Maybe it was even a demo from an old build. 343 aren't exactly technical wizards, but Halo 4 looked fantastic and that was a 360 game. I have to believe there's no way Halo Infinite is going to be this ugly when it releases, especially on Series X.

I really wish MS would shut up about the whole "taking full advantage of the Series X" bullshit. We all know that's a moving goalpost. 

Media bias is a thing, but not all of the criticism is unfounded.

The Microsoft Studios titles outside of Halo that generated the most interest from this event ( guessing Everwild, Fable, Avowed ) were presented as abstract teasers.  Information about the gameplay, game structure, design elements, is extremely vague or non-existent.

As you mentioned, these titles are likely extremely early in development, so it makes sense that we only saw broad stroke concepts.  That said, I can’t fault people for wanting game presentations to be more substantive, especially when they are looking with intent to purchase a next gen console.

At least Halo Infinite was an informative gameplay demo.  No other tittle in the showcase came this close to illustrating what the gameplay loop would be and in Halo’s case, what makes the entry different.

51 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Digital Foundry is saying now it was a PC build.  

I think the larger issue is that the game is 4 months away and has been in development 5 years.  They also built up expectations from previous videos, and Halo is their tentpole franchise.

It's going to look better than it does is the demo.  The question is if they'll be able to pull off a convincing next-gen look by launch, and if not, how long will that take post-release.  I think we could agree it's not where it should be by now.

But as far as looking like a good and fun Halo game that mixes things up?  I think they hit that one out of the park personally.  It's just much more of a win for Halo than it is a win for Series X.

6 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I think that's the issue for a lot of outlets is they don't really know much about Microsoft or what they are doing anymore. I routinely hear on Giant Bomb them talking about Xbox One stuff but they don't really know for sure because they mainly use PS4 so I guess that is the excuse for ignorance.

One small tidbit I noticed, is the Outer Worlds DLC is not included in Game Pass, it must be purchased separately.  It's not published by Microsoft though as that game was already in the works before MS bought Obsidian, so I'm guessing that is the reason.

9 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

One small tidbit I noticed, is the Outer Worlds DLC is not included in Game Pass, it must be purchased separately.  It's not published by Microsoft though as that game was already in the works before MS bought Obsidian, so I'm guessing that is the reason.

Strange. Didn't they previously announce you'd get DLC with gamepass?

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/03/18/introducing-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-perks/

Through Perks, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members will now regularly receive new benefits including DLC, in-game content and more – all free and included with membership.

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Strange. Didn't they previously announce you'd get DLC with gamepass?

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/03/18/introducing-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-perks/

The little * on the Outer Worlds DLC stated Game Pass, not Game Pass Ultimate, maybe there is a distinction there.

I also assumed DLC might be for the 1st Party made stuff, and since this is published by someone else, they don't dictate that.

4 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Digital Foundry is saying now it was a PC build.  

I think the larger issue is that the game is 4 months away and has been in development 5 years.  They also built up expectations from previous videos, and Halo is their tentpole franchise.

It's going to look better than it does is the demo.  The question is if they'll be able to pull off a convincing next-gen look by launch, and if not, how long will that take post-release.  I think we could agree it's not where it should be by now.

But as far as looking like a good and fun Halo game that mixes things up?  I think they hit that one out of the park personally.  It's just much more of a win for Halo than it is a win for Series X.

Its been confirmed to be a PC build that is suppose to rival what the game would look like on XSX.

Thats pretty much the whole crux of the situation. XSX being hyped up as this all powerful console, 343i developing a new engine (that is still probably based on Blam! just like Destiny), and we get something that gets outdone by current gen games. Granted sure, 30fps open world games. Who knows how much they would tweak it to get 60fps. Thats still a bad look for the new engine and for the XSX.

I wonder if these new consoles will be able to download games off the internet at a decent speed ever.

You have services like Steam or Origin that can actually deliver fast downloads meanwhile Xbox Live, and PSN, still run at a relative snail's pace.  With 100+ GB games they need to figure this shit out. 

spacer.png

30 minutes ago, Ominous said:

I wonder if these new consoles will be able to download games off the internet at a decent speed ever.

You have services like Steam or Origin that can actually deliver fast downloads meanwhile Xbox Live, and PSN, still run at a relative snail's pace.  With 100+ GB games they need to figure this shit out. 

spacer.png

You play madden now?

3 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Maybe by the time the 2025 version is out I'll get to this game.  I have so many games, so little time. 

That's one of the reasons I stopped playing sports games, they are a huge time sink and technically can't be beaten (or it takes a long time to "beat" them)

Except for Football Manager. I can play that while I do other things. :p

1 hour ago, Ominous said:

spacer.png

I can get up to 300 down on Xbox for download speeds.  Pretty comparable to Steam for me.

Now the PS4 on the other hand.

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah my Xbox games download pretty quickly. Nintendo does as well. PS4? Slooooooooow.

Same. If I ever buy a game on PSN, I do it knowing I won’t play it until tomorrow. It’s ridiculous. Good luck to those who buy the all digital PS5 edition. 

On 7/25/2020 at 5:36 PM, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Same. If I ever buy a game on PSN, I do it knowing I won’t play it until tomorrow. It’s ridiculous. Good luck to those who buy the all digital PS5 edition. 

Ghosts of Tsushima is downloading an update now... not even 3 gigs and its saying it will stake 40 minutes :|

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1