David Benioff & D.B. Weiss walk away from their Star Wars deal with Lucasfilm

Star Wars’ Setback: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Duo David Benioff & D.B. Weiss Exit Trilogy (Deadline)

Benioff and Weiss were supposed to usher in the post-Skywalkera era of the Star Wars brand with a 2022 new-start story that would stake out a new frontier for the era-defining cinema brand created by George Lucas. The Emmy-winning pair cited their historic deal with Netflix. They said their enthusiasm for Star Wars remains boundless but, regrettably, their schedule is full up.

You're next man up, Rian!

At this point with people throwing around $100 million for shows, someone should, I don't know, just make something original with that kind of money. If you have a good story to tell in the Star Wars universe, then make it in a 'Stellar Conflict' universe instead. If it's good and you have the budget, people will watch.

Yeah yeah, I know that that will never happen.

While I don't buy into the idea that they gave up on Game of Thrones to go play with Star Wars, if I did that would be frustratingly hilarious that they fucked over the ending to GoT only to lose Star Wars anyway. 

I'm not sure I buy the "schedule conflict" either though. If you had to choose between Netflix and Disney/Star Wars, would you really choose Netflix? 

7 minutes ago, Brick said:

While I don't buy into the idea that they gave up on Game of Thrones to go play with Star Wars, if I did that would be frustratingly hilarious that they fucked over the ending to GoT only to lose Star Wars anyway. 

I'm not sure I buy the "schedule conflict" either though. If you had to choose between Netflix and Disney/Star Wars, would you really choose Netflix? 

They got a $250 million dollar deal from Netflix, and I’m sure more creative freedom. Not surprising they prioritized the Netflix productions.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

They got a $250 million dollar deal from Netflix, and I’m sure more creative freedom. Not surprising they prioritized the Netflix productions.

$250 million to do whatever they want or work on Star Wars and deal with Disney and the franchise's often toxic fanbase? That feels like such a simple choice to make.

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This. Also I'm surprised this didn't get more play here... did any one hear about their big panel at the Austin Film Festival? Here are a couple of articles about it

Based on this it was dumb luck we got Game of Thrones at all

and

Game of Thrones Creators Finally admit they didn't know what they were doing

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

$250 million to do whatever they want or work on Star Wars and deal with Disney and the franchise's often toxic fanbase? That feels like such a simple choice to make.

Especially after what they just went through with GOT.

Making a Star Wars Trilogy is what, a minimum of 7 or 8 years? All that time you're under heavy scrutiny of the whole Disney machine with everyone expecting each film to make a least a billion, working in a format that you've never worked on before? Or you can go to Netflix and make whatever you want, without any oversight, and without anyone ever knowing how many people actually watched it, in a medium that you're already very comfortable making?

I understand why people's initial reactions were "how in the world do you choose Netflix over Star Wars," but if you give most people the choice between heavy scrutiny and creative freedom, I think a lot of people would chose the latter.  

7 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Making a Star Wars Trilogy is what, a minimum of 7 or 8 years? All that time you're under heavy scrutiny of the whole Disney machine with everyone expecting each film to make a least a billion, working in a format that you've never worked on before? Or you can go to Netflix and make whatever you want, without any oversight, and without anyone ever knowing how many people actually watched it, in a medium that you're already very comfortable making?

I understand why people's initial reactions were "how in the world do you choose Netflix over Star Wars," but if you give most people the choice between heavy scrutiny and creative freedom, I think a lot of people would chose the latter.  

Pretty sure Netflix knows how many people watch their shows.

8 minutes ago, Jose said:

Pretty sure Netflix knows how many people watch their shows.

Yes, but they don't release those numbers. With big budget films there's a very public aspect of your success or failure. With Netflix stuff not only is that success or failure private, but the internal metrics are different than pure viewership.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Who could have possibly imagined that the son of the former head of Goldman Sachs and his buddy would have been in a position to wildly out kick their coverage?

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

At this point with people throwing around $100 million for shows, someone should, I don't know, just make something original with that kind of money. If you have a good story to tell in the Star Wars universe, then make it in a 'Stellar Conflict' universe instead. If it's good and you have the budget, people will watch.

Yeah yeah, I know that that will never happen.

Guardians of the Galaxy is pretty recent.

34 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Especially if you know you already crumble under scrutiny.