Stranger Things 4 out now

12 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

TBF, I'm not even sure they need to actually eat. Before Vecna got to the upside down, it looked like the world was more-or-less nothing except for a handful of the creatures and that black-cloud/particles.

Yea, I mean, the hive mind thing in regards to burning them all to weaken Vecna felt shoehorned in so there was an actual purpose/connection with the Russia stuff.

They did that whole bit about feeding them so the creature could get nutrients 

Just finished it tonight. Pretty good season overall. Liked it better than the last one. I thought the Hopper death was lame last season. Then I thought they rushed him coming back into Eleven's life during the last couple minutes of this season. Like "oh hi! good to see you again, I knew you were alive!".  Could have been done better.

8 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I thought the Hopper death was lame last season. Then I thought they rushed him coming back into Eleven's life during the last couple minutes of this season. Like "oh hi! good to see you again, I knew you were alive!".  Could have been done better.

That’s exactly how the El and Hopper reunion was. :lol:

I'm not even saying escapist fantasy is bad. It's just different from what we got in season one.

I've fully embraced the new tone of the show and I still really like it. Can't wait for season 5.

I did like season one more, but I'll take what I can get. This is also fun.

Goonies and Lost Boys and all that stuff is also great. I'm down for whatever. Movies/Shows just need to create a compelling universe to exist in, and establish a tone. Then they need to make a fun story within those boundaries. It can feel jarring when they shift tones or change things or when a movie/show feels like they betrayed the rules they themselves put in place.

• Like 1

Stranger Things does a great job of introducing new characters. The new characters in S4 were major hits for me: Eddie, Vecna, Argyle, Yuri, Enzo, even Chrissy & Jason were at least somewhat interesting. The only bland ass character is Angela, just because she is just a ridiculously over the top bully.

I don’t think it’s possible to have a show about kids going through puberty / high school that takes place over literal years and have the tone stay the same. I don’t even know that it’s something that should be strived for or attempted, honestly.

• True 2
  • Halal 1

I didn't look up the cast/credits but anyone else notice the different looks El had as a child in this season? It seemed like a different actress played her in the beginning. Then later when El is getting her powers back, going through her memories getting bullied and such, sometimes it looked like normal Millie, then a few scenes looked like Millie's head cgi'd on to a little body.

10 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I didn't look up the cast/credits but anyone else notice the different looks El had as a child in this season? It seemed like a different actress played her in the beginning. Then later when El is getting her powers back, going through her memories getting bullied and such, sometimes it looked like normal Millie, then a few scenes looked like Millie's head cgi'd on to a little body.

Pretty sure most if not all of those scenes were Millie being de-aged and CG'd onto a little body.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I'm tired of everything being "grounded." Give me escapist fantasy!

I like both personally, that’s kind of why seasons 1 and 3 are my favorites because season 1 while incorporating supernatural elements still managed to consistently feel a bit grounded and plausible throughout. Season 3 was pretty bonkers by comparison really embracing the 80s cheese, humor and silliness throughout which made it different but fun IMO. Seasons 2 and 4 sort of tried to do both which made them feel a bit inconsistent in tone IMO. While still good of course, I did find myself rolling my eyes a bit more during them compared to seasons 1 and 3.

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Season 1 was grounded only if we’re grading on the curviest of curves.

Well it was grounded in the sense that everything was "normal" then it wasn't after Eleven opened the portal to the upside down and Will was abducted. It was an introduction to the craziness for the audience AND the characters. Also I don't think this show is even INTERESTED in being "grounded" and never was.

1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

55 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Pretty sure most if not all of those scenes were Millie being de-aged and CG'd onto a little body.

There is a young Eleven credited. Hard to know for sure how much of that was actually her performance, but whatever they did was pretty effective. 
https://m.imdb.com/name/nm9626076/filmotype/actress?ref_=m_nmfm_1

32 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I don't think this show is even INTERESTED in being "grounded" and never was.

You’re right, it’s called Stranger Things for a reason. It was never really grounded due to the stuff that happens in it, but it originally seemed to somewhat try and make things seem a little more plausible if its events actually occurred. Then it went completely off the rails, and became batshit crazy. :p But I’m fine with that for the most part as long as it remains entertaining and fun which it has.

1 hour ago, Phaseknox said:

but it originally seemed to somewhat try and make things seem a little more plausible if its events actually occurred.

When? When Joyce just "figures out" that her missing son is communicating with her through Christmas lights or a group of kids manage to succesfully hide a telekentic mutant in their parent's house for several days with no one finding out? The show always relied on people "going along" for the ride of the story and never seemed to eb concerned with being plausible because its complete IMPLAUSIBLE. They're mixing a bunch of different tropes from 80's movies and inviting us to go along for the ride.

35 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

When? When Joyce just "figures out" that her missing son is communicating with her through Christmas lights or a group of kids manage to succesfully hide telekentic mutant in their parent's house for several days with no one finding out? The show always relied on people "going along" for the ride of the story and never seemed to eb concerned with being plausible because its complete IMPLAUSIBLE. They're mixing a bunch of different tropes from 80's movies and inviting us to go along for the ride.

You’re right, but season 1 just seemed a little less out there and over-the-top compared to the following seasons despite it of course having a lot of weird shit happening in it. Everyone treated Joyce as if she was completely nuts as people really would in that situation, it just seemed like the things outside of the supernatural stuff were kept a little more grounded and realistic. Then eventually things outside of the supernatural stuff started to get a little zanier like having an underground Russian base underneath a shopping mall in America for example. It just started to feel a little more campy and silly in some ways after the first season, but I was fine with it. Like I said before, season 3 is one of my favorites for that reason. It reminded me of a fun 80s movie.

2 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

but it originally seemed to somewhat try and make things seem a little more plausible if its events actually occurred

I suppose it was more grounded when the creature from an alternate dimension was immune to conventional weapons like Lucas’s slingshot and it needed to be killed by the psychic child of an MKUltra patient using her superpowers.

• Halal 1

22 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Even if she doesn't stay blind and ends up "fine," what happened to Max is fucking horrifying. The main characters having plot armor is fine, the threats to them are still very real even if they don't die.

Honestly while she was up there the second time and the limbs started twisting I thought to myself “Let’s see how they wuss out and make this not count.” The show was like “Oh this is for real motherfucker.” Still kind of shocked tbh.

I thought the final 30ish minutes really sucked, Max should have just died or not, none of this half-measure bullshit. The pacing of this season was pretty trash, I really don't understand condensing the 2nd half into two 2+ hour long movies.

Overall I liked this season and I love the show as a whole but I don't get all the "omg best season" hype, I really think the lack of good content drought we have been in due to covid delays has warped peoples views.

15 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

Max should have just died or not, none of this half-measure bullshit.

I agree, why even have her live if she’s going to be in such bad shape both mentally and physically.

The pacing of this season was pretty trash, I really don't understand condensing the 2nd half into two 2+ hour long movies.

Yeah, its pacing did seem a little off at times. And like you said, I don’t understand why they condensed like four episodes into two really long ones.

I don't get all the "omg best season" hype

I don’t, either. But everyone likes what they like for their own reasons. For example, season 3 is probably my favorite but I know that it’s not a fan favorite or considered one of the best seasons. :shrug:

will-byers-stranger-things-1657850624660
WWW.IGN.COM

Noah Schnapp confirmed that a key theory about his Stranger Thing's character, Will Byers, is true.

Stranger Things pulled no punches with its emotional moments in Season 4. Today, in an interview with Variety, Noah Schnapp confirmed something that fans have long speculated: Will is gay.

“It was hinted at in Season 1. It was always kind of there, but you never really knew, is it just him growing up slower than his friends? Now that he’s gotten older, they made it a very real, obvious thing. Now it’s 100% clear he is gay and does love Mike,” Schnapp said.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

And? What can come from Will being gay? Who cares lol.

I like that they’re making a big deal about Will being gay, doing the slowest burn ever with it… meanwhile, a few eps into S3, Robin: “dude… why are you hitting on me? I’m a lesbian”

• True 1

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I like that they’re making a big deal about Will being gay, doing the slowest burn ever with it… meanwhile, a few eps into S3, Robin: “dude… why are you hitting on me? I’m a lesbian”

because they’re telling two different stories with it? Why would the reveal of them being gay have to be the same for both?

FINALLY finished the entire season 4. I had to rewatch a few episodes because I was watching them high. So I went back and watched the entire thing sober lol.

I think it's the strongest season yet. I agree with those in here that Hoppers storyline was boring and took away from the strong aspects of the other characters and scenes. Also, Will really has no storyline anymore. He's completely pointless to the story now and I actually kind of find him annoying. 

Very strong performance for Vecna. This series is phenomenal but they need to make sure season 5 ends it.