Stranger Things 4 out now

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

It was 100% the sword of Crom / Atlantean sword from Conan the barbarian. 

That’s what I thought, but then I thought Conan came out in the 70’s(I checked ‘82) so I doubted myself. Then when he did the pose I went back to being pretty sure it was Conan lol. I didn’t miss anything though right? That thing def just appeared out of nowhere?

• Halal 1

20 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

That’s what I thought, but then I thought Conan came out in the 70’s(I checked ‘82) so I doubted myself. Then when he did the pose I went back to being pretty sure it was Conan lol. I didn’t miss anything though right? That thing def just appeared out of nowhere?

I guess they did give the prisoners melee weapons to fight the demogorgon, but I don’t think I’d have missed that sword specifically :p

While I still like it, this show has gotten progressively sillier and sillier each season.

I feel like at this pace by season 7 or 8 they would have Eleven fighting a godzilla sized monster on the moon in a giant mech made by the kids from carnival ride parts or something.

(and yes, I know it’s supposed to end after 5 seasons… but I guarantee they will make spin-offs. They’ll keep this gravy train rolling.)

what happened with that other faction of the governemnt… the one that just starts shooting people on sight? I thought that whole plot didn’t make a lot of sense. I guess that that older brunette woman and the gang is still on the run from those guys? Those guys represent the actual government, so I guess the military is trying to kill eleven and probably hopper and the rest as well?

Finished the season. Overall I'd say it's good, is occasionally very good, but I don't know that other than a scene or two, it even flirts with greatness.

Spoiler

Vecna I think is really solid overall, and it's good that they're heading into the final season with a villain that can talk and isn't just an avatar for something malevolent like Billy was. It seems he'll remain a credible threat to Eleven.

Honestly the main issue with this season isn't that it's literally too long, it's that it's soooooooo padded. Mike and his team spend most of the season driving around from place to place because they need to time the Eleven reunion just so. We spend so much time rescuing Hopper, escaping the prison, then GONIG BACK TO THE PRISON. We even waste time with the two Russians talking, alone, about going back and saving them with the helicopter, it's ridiculous. The bunker Eleven is in has a mini raid when Brenner turns heel, than a REAL raid when Sullivan shows up. There's just an absolute ton of filler in this season.

And for a season that's got so much fluff, you'd think they'd have given Mike and Will more to do? I like Robin and everything, but when it feels like she's a more active part of the plot than Mike and Will, I can't help but feel like someone dropped the ball. Don't tell me Will's the guy that keeps the party together when most of the season he shows no interest in doing that.

Aside from that, the highs are pretty good. The Lucas / Max stuff was really touching. Eddie was a really great addition, RIP to a real one. Steve and Robin's friendship is fun to watch. Erica steals every scene in which she's given lines to deliver / boys to roast. And for as truly lousy as the pacing with their whole arc is, Brett Gelman, Winona Ryder, and David Harbour are fun to watch together. The show really delivers on vibes better than most others, I just wish the whole thing was tighter and so much of this season wasn't spent in transit.

7 minutes ago, ort said:

Hide contents

what happened with that other faction of the governemnt… the one that just starts shooting people on sight? I thought that whole plot didn’t make a lot of sense. I guess that that older brunette woman and the gang is still on the run from those guys? Those guys represent the actual government, so I guess the military is trying to kill eleven and probably hopper and the rest as well?

Spoiler

Yeah I agree with this. It's not super clear what these groups know. Sullivan seems to know the kids were potentially being trained for remote assassinations, which would suggest he knows who Vecna was... I don't know why nobody would try explaining to him that 001 is alive and they need 011 to help deal with that? That whole thing feels like a way of getting Mike and Will to get to Eleven (the shootout) that just lingered through the whole season.

27 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

They should kill Will. The character has nothing to do and he's probably the worst of the actors. All he did this season was encourage Mike to encourage Eleven. 

By repeating what Mike had said to him earlier that day. Even Will knew he’s not really “the heart” of the group. 

I guess they’re setting up going back to season 1 where he’ll be the one they have to save next season. Just stick him back in the upside down for most of the season. 

My son made the joke that main villain of season 5 was going to be Will’s barber.

I agree that his character has been mostly useless this entire show. He literally did nothing in seasons 3 and 4. He was sorta tagging along.

This show has way too many characters and always feels like they have to have everyone involved. In one of the episodes about halfway in, I counted 6 separate storylines they were juggling at once. Six.

• Haha 1

I thought the season was great, probably the strongest since the first. Yeah there are a lot of characters, but generally speaking they are all great. Loved the additions this season (especially pizza dude and Eddie). 

EDIT - Also, can we talk about the helicopter crash in the desert? What an awesome shot.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

8 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I thought the season was great, probably the strongest since the first. Yeah there are a lot of characters, but generally speaking they are all great. Loved the additions this season (especially pizza dude and Eddie). 

EDIT - Also, can we talk about the helicopter crash in the desert? What an awesome shot.

It was good, but not great IMO. It was better than season 2, but I liked season 3 more myself. It was more entertaining, and fun. Season 1 is still the best.

As for El taking down the helicopter in the desert, it was pretty cool but also a little drawn-out and overdramatic for what it was IMO.

5 hours ago, Massdriver said:

Good overall, but I think Russian thread this season was completely unnecessary and a waste of screen time. I always looked forward to it getting back to the other threads. The humor was over the top and didn’t work for me. 

I agree, especially about the humor. The humor was really good in season 3, but felt tacked-on in season 4. Argyle wasn’t nearly as funny as the writers clearly thought that he was. Some of the humor in the Russian story thread hit a little better, and was one of the only redeeming factors of it IMO.

has eleven brought somebody back to life before and i’m forgetting? so she can just restart peoples hearts and not sacrifice anything? or is it like a special max was in the upside down and rules are different thing 

4 hours ago, johnny said:

has eleven brought somebody back to life before and i’m forgetting? so she can just restart peoples hearts and not sacrifice anything? or is it like a special max was in the upside down and rules are different thing 

Were you looking for Eleven to lose an arm and leg and for Max’s soul to be permanently attached to a suit of armor?

• Haha 2
  • Halal 1

7 hours ago, johnny said:

It seems like she just figured it out in that moment. Probably wouldn't work on somebody who has long been dead/decapitated/impaled/bled-out which has been pretty much every other death in the show.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I feel like El basically gave Max psychokinetic chest compressions.

Yeah, El got Max’s heart pumping again right after it stopped.

49 minutes ago, 69los said:

She's still going to be blind though, right? Poor girl was put through the ringer this season.

Blind and every bone in her body snapped like a twig. Her bones can heal, but her sight can’t. But this is Stranger Things, so who knows? :shrug:

Why would she be blind? I just assumed she got the freaky eye when she was possessed or whatever, Vecna didn’t get to fully eye pop her or whatever. 

The larger issue is that she’s comatose and not ventilated, so she’s probably dead already. :p

• True 1

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Why would she be blind? I just assumed she got the freaky eye when she was possessed or whatever, Vecna didn’t get to fully eye pop her or whatever.

When Max awoken her eyes were completely white, and she said that she couldn’t see. Vecna blinded her.

31 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The larger issue is that she’s comatose and not ventilated, so she’s probably dead already. :p

Especially considering these kids are going to die of old age because of the time between each season.

3 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I’ve already forgotten the details, but was that the last we saw of El using her powers? It could have drained/weakened her in ways we just haven’t seen yet. 

I doubt they would go through the whole season of her getting her powers back in order to fight the Upside Down, only to just lose them all again at the end of the season. 

8 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I’ve already forgotten the details, but was that the last we saw of El using her powers? It could have drained/weakened her in ways we just haven’t seen yet. 

The last that we saw of El using her powers is close to the end of the final episode when she goes back to her house in the woods, and waves shut her bedroom’s door stopping it at exactly three inches open as Hopper always requested.

She still has her powers. Like @Brick said, there’s no way that they would spend the entire season having her regain her powers just for her to lose them again at the end.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

The last that we saw of El using her powers is close to the end of the final episode when she goes back to her house in the woods, and waves shut her bedroom’s door stopping it at exactly three inches open as Hopper always requested.

She still has her powers. Like @Brick said, there’s no way that they would spend the entire season having her regain her powers just for her to lose them again at the end.

I’m not the one who said lose them. To me, that scene played out like she was was really reaching to do something new with her power, maybe transferring some of it to Max to save her, and that might leave El temporarily weakened. In this scenario, she would still have enough juice to move a door, for example, but maybe not do the more extreme stuff she was doing earlier in the episode. But maybe I’ve just been watching too much Doctor Who recently, and that’s the kind of shit that happens on that show all the time. 

If she’s basically just doing the classic “bang on a dying/dead person’s chest until they’re revived” TV trope, but with her mind, that’s a simple enough explanation, and easier to track than whatever I was imagining. I’m sure if it was set just a few years later they would have played this over it:

Can we talk about how weird it was though that some kids barely even out of high school, and some still in high school, were able to go buy guns, and bring them home the same day? No background checks back in the '80s? I'm getting a little more and more uncomfortable with American television/movies fetishizing guns. As much as I love action movies, and the John Wick movies for example, you can't tell me that scene in the second movie when he's getting all the different guns shown off to him, including the fucking AR-15, a gun used in a bunch of mass shootings, wasn't just a bit weird and uncomfortable. American gun culture is too much. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 1:02 PM, GeneticBlueprint said:

Especially considering these kids are going to die of old age because of the time between each season.

The creators, the Duffer Brothers, have said that they are going to do a bigger time jump than originally planned to assist with that. Having now seen the final two episodes, it was mostly great - really enjoyed. Sometimes maudlin and melodramatic, but this was a very well made and tightly plotted season of Stranger Things, even with the mostly dumb Russia plotline. 

Also, anyone else wondering what happened with the Russian prison guard turned prisoner guy and the high school athlete/jock guy? Unless I missed something, we last see Russian guy flying the group out with the annoying as hell pilot, and the last we see of the high school guy he's knocked out after his fight with Lucas. Those two things were weird, I dunno.

Just now, Brick said:

Can we talk about how weird it was though that some kids barely even out of high school, and some still in high school, were able to go buy guns, and bring them home the same day? No background checks back in the '80s? I'm getting a little more and more uncomfortable with American television/movies fetishizing guns. As much as I love action movies, and the John Wick movies for example, you can't tell me that scene in the second movie when he's getting all the different guns shown off to him, including the fucking AR-15, a gun used in a bunch of mass shootings, wasn't just a bit weird and uncomfortable. American gun culture is too much. 

Was the most realistic part of the episode. :p But seriously, I didn't feel like the show fetishized it in any way, but it is of course uncomfortable seeing how easy it is for even kids to buy guns, which it is.