Stranger Things 4 out now

57 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's one episode in one season of a season and a show you can straight up binge. Sometimes bottle episodes or stand alone episodes are a good thing. I mean, I'm more or less neutral to slightly positive on Stranger Things, so I thought that episode was interesting and just fine, but I know most didn't like that episode or the season. I certainly liked season 2 more than 3 for sure. 

The problem was it had pretty much nothing to do with the plot of the season and killed the pacing. And there's no way to know it has nothing to do with the rest of the plot of the season until you're done watching it. It's anti-binge because it's something completely different than what you're in the middle of binging.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

The problem was it had pretty much nothing to do with the plot of the season and killed the pacing. And there's no way to know it has nothing to do with the rest of the plot of the season until you're done watching it. It's anti-binge because it's something completely different than what you're in the middle of binging.

I agree, but what's wrong with something completely different in the middle of binging? That's the entire point of standalone episode. I definitely agree with you that the stand alone episode ultimately being pretty meaningless  in the show if you look at the big picture, it still affected and altered Eleven's character which is still important. But it's decisions like this and bringing back Hop that make me not be that big on the show. When that one character was singing in the season 3 finale over the radio my wife and I were rolling our eyes and could not take it seriously. 

8 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

it still affected and altered Eleven's character which is still important

Right but I think it would have worked a lot better to, say, release it a month later as a standalone "see what Eleven was up to while she was missing".

It seemed like they were trying to do a backdoor pilot for a show about those other kids and they tanked any chance of that ever happening by so majorly fucking up how the episode was received.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Right but I think it would have worked a lot better to, say, release it a month later as a standalone "see what Eleven was up to while she was missing".

It seemed like they were trying to do a backdoor pilot for a show about those other kids and they tanked any chance of that ever happening by so majorly fucking up how the episode was received.

I won't disagree with it being released separately, that could work too no doubt, possibly better, no doubt.

I loved the idea of that episode, but I thought the execution was really off. It ended up being super cringey and weird. What was up with her gang? It felt like they were lifted straight from a direct to video movie from 1996.

On 4/14/2022 at 11:08 AM, ort said:

I loved the idea of that episode, but I thought the execution was really off. It ended up being super cringey and weird. What was up with her gang? It felt like they were lifted straight from a direct to video movie from 1996.

I believe that was intentional, for good or ill.

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

One thing I like about streaming TV is the flexibility of episode runtimes, but this is ridiculous.

I'm really curious to see what the fuck happens that justifies a 2.5 hour episode of this show. 

It sounds interminable in this show's case but reviews seem mostly good from what I've seen so far. Then again a lot of people liked season 3 and I was very meh on it.

Holy Shit! First time seeing the runtimes and they’re releasing movies not tv shows. I’ll watch but I view them with my mom and will need to start them a little earlier. I can’t find time for a movie 2.5hrs long but I gotta do this for a season finale.

38 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

This board:

Damn these D+ shows are too short, I need me some more content!

Also this board:

Damn those are some long episodes :|

:p

I mean surely there's some compromise between 2.5 hours and 31 minutes :P

But for reals I'm fine with whatever runtime as long as everything is meaningful. The new BCS season is a prime example of not trimming some fat.

• Like 1

When you release all episodes at once (or nearly at once in this case), and there's no "schedule" there's also no reason to not just split an episode into two :p 

You can, of course, manually pause it, but I would expect the director would be able to find a better pause point being as they know what's going to happen!

I guess this was one of the first shows I remember people basically bragging about how they watched a whole season in a day or whatever. If that’s the audience you have in mind while making your show, the length of individual episodes are kinda arbitrary. Maybe for the final “season” they stop being cowards and just release a twelve hour movie and be done with it. 

18 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

This board:

Damn these D+ shows are too short, I need me some more content!

Also this board:

Damn those are some long episodes :|

:p

Not me. Give me all the 6hr Director’s cut movies

• Like 2

Ugh, really bad timing for that first episode </3

Edit: I would recommend just reading my spoiler and skipping to the theme song.

Spoiler

There is a flashback to the Hawkings Nation Lab in 79 where a bunch of kids are being taught how to use their psychic powers and 11 kills all of them... normally I'm not one to get upset about things but all things considered :|

• Jason changed the title to Stranger Things 4 out now
On 5/26/2022 at 10:28 AM, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Not me. Give me all the 6hr Director’s cut movies

Just so long as it's not a Zack Snyder movie. 

On 5/27/2022 at 8:23 AM, DPCyric said:

Ugh, really bad timing for that first episode </3

Edit: I would recommend just reading my spoiler and skipping to the theme song.

Hide contents

There is a flashback to the Hawkings Nation Lab in 79 where a bunch of kids are being taught how to use their psychic powers and 11 kills all of them... normally I'm not one to get upset about things but all things considered :|

For the spoiler... Keep watching. :D

Finished what they have up. Very strong season so far and I'm really looking forward to the end in July. Hope they don't fuck it up!

Also (end spoilers)

Spoiler

What I find interesting is I somehow hadn't pieced together than the assistant was 1 until the moment his chip was removed and he looked at it. The actor (and director) must have done a great job because just his expression -- even before he said anything else -- made it clear instantly.

Not sure how I missed it before that now though :p Maybe a function of marathoning it without reflection.