~*Colin Trevorrow's Star Wars: Episode IX - Duel of the Fates OT*~

11 hours ago, Bacon said:

The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

From 2 years ago

To be fair, just about every Star Wars youtuber has had a theory about Rey being a Kenobi, a secret Skywalker, and a Palpatine. There’d be video of people being right now matter what the truth ended up being. 

I said the same thing after TLJ, "..well, that was a star war..."

This was worse than TLJ, but I mean, this has all been disappointing. TFA set stuff up and the other two movies failed to deliver anything. It was better when it was all a mystery. 

The amount of hand holding, contrived conveniences, eagles saving Gandalf, the cousin kissing, just...

The stars were the droids and Rey. 

P.S. Poe is a failure at everything. 

23 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I’m no fan of RoS and hated the kiss but that set of images is stupid. Why not take a picture of Bilbo smiling then Bilbo all crazy at the end, skip everything in the middle and then make fun of how different he winds up. 

Because that wouldn't make much sense in a Star Wars thread! Silly!

I'm watching it again. Noticed something else.

The dumb JJ robot?

Rey states that it was mistreated. Then she says it's okay because he's with them. 

In other words, fans mistreated JJ but it's fine because the good characters have him in their group now.

Oh, and it was like one and a half scenes between chewie's "death" and his reveal. I say one and a half because he's mentioned one scene later. 

Ugh

• Haha 1

On 12/23/2019 at 8:21 AM, CitizenVectron said:

There are always going to be people who like Transformers 3 over Contact, so it's not surprising that there will be people who prefer TROS or TFA over TLJ.

How dare you compare the greatness that is Contact to the mediocrity of TLJ. You take that back!

• Guillotine 1

9 hours ago, 2user1cup said:

I said the same thing after TLJ, "..well, that was a star war..."

This was worse than TLJ, but I mean, this has all been disappointing. TFA set stuff up and the other two movies failed to deliver anything. It was better when it was all a mystery. 

The amount of hand holding, contrived conveniences, eagles saving Gandalf, the cousin kissing, just...

The stars were the droids and Rey. 

P.S. Poe is a failure at everything. 

That’s kind of my feeling as well. There isn’t a whole lot transferred from one movie to the next to hold this together as a trilogy besides the cast of characters. 

7 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

And The Last Jedi is a mediocre (at best) film that only looks better because of the two movies it’s wedged between. 

Nope. TLJ is a well made movie, regardless of whether you like it or not. Contact is enjoyable despite its weak script and paint by numbers direction. 

Rian Johnson actually elevated Star Wars to something truly cinematic with The Last Jedi... and the fans rejected it because a lot of it flew over their heads. They wanted fan service and JJ gave it to them... with spectacular results. For instance Johnson basically completed the arcs of the main three characters and left them in a place where they could be their most idealized selves... at the end of TLJ Poe has learned what it means to be a leader, Finn has learned to believe in something bigger than himself and Rey is on her way to becoming a Jedi. Even Kylo has elevated himself from being an underling to being the Supreme Leader. What does JJ do? Reset the characters and have them repeat that same journey again... he didn't take the baton and continue the race. He took the baton, ran back to the last checkpoint and restarted that leg of the race with a worse time :p

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Poe never should have been a leader and the rebellion should have flayed him. The movies would have been shorter without his constant fuck ups. Poe was never a leader and will never be one, he wasn't one in any moment of any of the movies, unless leading means BE WRONG EVERY TIME and MUTINY and BE FUCKING DUMB AND WRONG. Poe made Leia be dumb, that's the TLJ you love. 

TLJ doesn't suck because it "moved the baton forward," it sucks because it betrayed the evolution of the characters in the OT. The same thing JJ did to TLJ and the OT with RoS. RoS is worse than TLJ, but TLJ isn't good. 

Putting aside that TLJ betrayed nothing about the OT and actually did more of a service to those characters than people's heads do:

It's almost as if failure was one of the themes of TLJ. The predictable route would be, "Poe just destroyed the Dreadnought and everyone survived. Finn and Rose sneak into the enemy ship and succeed, cutting the movie down an hour. Luke flips around and destroys everything despite that actually betraying his character and the Jedi's character." And it wouldn't be memorable, either, nor would there be any narrative thrust to any of this besides a basic B-Movie.

28 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Putting aside that TLJ betrayed nothing about the OT and actually did more of a service to those characters than people's heads do:

It's almost as if failure was one of the themes of TLJ. The predictable route would be, "Poe just destroyed the Dreadnought and everyone survived. Finn and Rose sneak into the enemy ship and succeed, cutting the movie down an hour. Luke flips around and destroys everything despite that actually betraying his character and the Jedi's character." And it wouldn't be memorable, either, nor would there be any narrative thrust to any of this besides a basic B-Movie.

No one is saying that should have been the outcome.

Poe is literally wrong all the time. There is nothing that would qualify him for a promotion, and that Leia of all people is like "yeah let's follow this moron because I should be stereotyped to like men like this Han2.0"

I'm fine with Luke being a loser hermit, the execution was just weird and didn't seem like the same dude. 

2 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

No one is saying that. Poe is literally wrong all the time. There is nothing that would qualify him for a promotion, and that Leia of all people is like "yeah let's follow this moron because I should be stereotyped to like men like this Han2.0"

People saying this as a complaint is like 30% of the past two year's worth of debate on this film. :p 

He's not literally wrong all the time. He already proved his fighting chops in 7 and evolved into a character that realized silly heroics aren't the end-all be-all in 8 (which we even saw from Luke in the OT). Leia was right to follow him at the end because the entire arc is around how sacrificing people needlessly to be the hero isn't what'll allow the Resistance to survive.

That we're having this discussion after Han and Lando's promotions in the OT is weird.

• Confused 1