Gamestop records $673 million net loss for 2018

6 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Gamestop should ditch video games and exclusively sell Rick and Morty board games and Pokemon stuffed animals 

It might be a joke but they probably should. Video games are a low margin business.

1 hour ago, Amazatron said:

Go full on nerd haven, collectible card game gatherings/tourneys, etc.

They still have the brand recognition and the real estate.

They absolutely should make their locations literally GAMEstops for all types of games: CCGs, tabletop, etc.

Hell, maybe even explore some kind of partnership with Games Workshop to carry Warhammer merchandise.

3 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

WAAAAAAAAAAY too many physical locations

Over-reliance on secondhand games

But most of all - the rise of digital

It sounded bad to me. Digital. They have digital. What is digital? And it’s very complicated, you have to be Albert Einstein to figure it out. 

6 hours ago, Rodimus said:

Well GameStop does need to change. They need to continue to diversify. I agree go all out nerd culture.

Have you seen what they've done to ThinkGeek? There's no way they're capable of properly executing what they need to do to survive.

3 hours ago, finaljedi said:

They need to triple down on game informer subs and come up with more membership programs, they also need to push their game insurance even harder.

Maybe they should have bought that insurance on themselves. :thinking:

I think there would be room for them in the used games market if they priced their inventory as low as digital sales and eBay averages.  Way too often their used copies are still 80-90% the price of new copies on 2+ year old games.

It’s been years since I’ve felt Gamestop’s used prices were cheap.  I’ve only bought used there when buy two get one promotions were happening.

IMHO, Gamestop is going to be the next Blockbuster Video. It's going to take longer but the pattern will be similar. Areas with good broadband coverage are going to see more & more digital distribution (I haven't purchased a physical game in several years). Combine that with Amazon's shipping, Stadia, etc... and things are going to shift further away from anyone wanting to go to a store to buy games.

21 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

IMHO, Gamestop is going to be the next Blockbuster Video. It's going to take longer but the pattern will be similar. Areas with good broadband coverage are going to see more & more digital distribution (I haven't purchased a physical game in several years). Combine that with Amazon's shipping, Stadia, etc... and things are going to shift further away from anyone wanting to go to a store to buy games.

Comparisons to Blockbuster and music stores are unquestionably appropriate.  Actually, I really do think that Gamestop's demise will be faster than either of those two examples simply due to the wider acceptance of digital content delivery now when compared to back then.