The Lord of the Rings: Gollum - Information Thread, update: Daedalic Entertainment closes development studio, cancels second LotR project

SaysWho?

20 hours ago, stepee said:

Why don’t they just make a western rpg where you create a character. Like it isn’t hard to guess what kind of game people would want from a franchise like this.

Yea, make a game in the Witcher 3 format. Play as Aragorn and go from there. Playing as Gullum seems painfully boring. 

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Aragorn?  Talk about boring!

How is he boring? He's badass in combat and did well with dialogue. 

Who would you pick as the protagonist?

Legolas the mute? Aragorn would basically be Geralt with maybe a better personality.

51 minutes ago, best3444 said:

How is he boring? He's badass in combat and did well with dialogue. 

Who would you pick as the protagonist?

Legolas the mute? Aragorn would basically be Geralt with maybe a better personality.

Not any of the actual characters from the film - either I create a character or the developer makes up a character like the Mordor games.

• 5 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Lord of the Rings: Gollum - Information Thread; update: "A Split Personality" Cinematic Trailer
  • 5 months later...
The-Lord-of-the-Rings-Gollum_2022_05-24-
WWW.GEMATSU.COM

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum will launch for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam on September 1, and for Switch later in 2022, publisher Nacon and developer Daedalic…

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Lord of the Rings: Gollum - Information Thread; update: 01 September 2022 release announced
Lord-Of-The-Rings-Gollum-Devs-Explain-It
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

We got a hands-off look at Daedalic’s Lord of the Rings game, and took the chance to pick the devs’ brains while we were at it

NACON’s Bigben Week in Paris hosted previews of a variety of the publisher’s forthcoming games, but there was only one I was really there to see. Steelrising may have surprised me with its polish, Clash: Artifacts of Chaos was a wonderful, colourful, and surprisingly robust action adventure game that I hadn’t even heard of, and Blood Bowl 3 is vastly improved over its beta. But none of them were Lord of the Rings: Gollum.

I’ve been following Gollum since it was first announced, as have many Lord of the Rings fans. Lord of the Rings games can be hit and miss, especially in recent memory. The Shadow of Mordor series has fun, Assassin’s Creed-esque gameplay but completely bastardises the lore. The Lord of the Rings Online, despite being 15 years old, is still going from strength to strength, and faithfully folds a surprising amount of Tolkien’s world into the MMO. Netease has also created a mobile MMO based on the Tolkien license, but takes more liberties. How would Gollum toe the line? The short answer is that it will be based on Tolkien, but fill in some gaps. The long answer is, of course, a bit more complicated.

GTbigvqByrDLcDPf7GT5a7-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

The Lord of the Rings: Gollum takes us through Mirkwood and Cirith Ungol

During a hands-off preview of The Lord of the Rings: Gollum, I first see the infamous protagonist in the depths of the Cirith Ungol mountains in Mordor. After climbing along ledges and slinking through passageways hidden from sight, Gollum finds safety in a dark cave which serves as his hideout. Small in stature and hunched over on all fours, Gollum begins to look at drawings on the walls that paint a picture of his past. When the camera focuses on figures etched out on the stone, I start to hear the echoes of a conversation that takes place during a future interrogation with Gandalf. I can't physically see the wizard, but his voice fills the silence as Gollum sits in his solitary refuge. 

"You must have had friends once. A family." The question sounds more like a statement, but the response it earns from Gollum is one of anger and resentment. "They kicked us! Cast us out! Curse them all! Curse them!" This interaction reminds of just how alone Gollum is in Middle-earth, and it's a thought that seldom leaves me throughout the demo session. There's a pervasive sense of isolation and seclusion in The Lord of the Rings Gollum, and it's clear that developer Daedalic Entertainment is trying to deliver a different perspective on Middle-earth – one from the viewpoint of a reclusive, troubled figure who's driven and torn up by his desire for the ring.     

the-lord-of-the-rings-gollum.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

We've seen The Lord Of The Rings: Gollum gameplay and reckon it'll tell a mighty interesting story, but may not be all that fun to play.

I recently got a hands-off look at The Lord Of The Rings: Gollum, Daedalic's upcoming third-person stealth game which sees Mr Precious himself take centre stage. Flanked by devs and squidged between other journos, I saw two short demos, one right at the start of his adventure, and the other much further in. I saw him clamber around Mordor (I think; it was mountainous at the very least) and then stealth around an Elven king's abode. It was... fine. Yes, I saw an early build and things could change, but I left that booth feeling a bit underwhelmed, in all honesty.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Lord of the Rings: Gollum - Information Thread; update: 01 September 2022 release announced, new hands-off previews posted
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Lord of the Rings: Gollum (01 September 2022) - Information Thread, update: Gameplay Reveal Trailer
14 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Take out the LOTR branding, and that looks like the kind of game that pads out Humble Bundles. 

I was just thinking, can’t wait to check this out when it’s the free epic store game of the week.

I dunno, looks like it’s basically A Plagues Tale in a LOTR skin. So if the story is good I’ll be more than happy to spend time sneaking around Middle Earth.  The upcoming show already has me hyped up to get reimmersed in that world so why not 🤷🏻‍♂️

Screams of a game where devs were told a while ago, we’re making a series set in the Tolkien universe…but you can’t make one based on that…but you can have a shite part of our IP to try and make some money off of. I guess a Prancing Pony management sim wasn’t as a cool as a Gollum ‘em up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Lord of the Rings: Gollum (Release TBA) - Information Thread, update: release postponed for "a few months"

"So Phil, we can launch day one into Game Pass, right?"

"We'll we'd love to, but it's a pretty busy month."

"So the month after, then?"

"Well ya know... We got a thing."

"What about the month after that?"

"We'll see what we have. Maybe if we get an opening by December, we might be able to MAYBE fit you in."

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...