The Lord of the Rings: Gollum - Information Thread, update: Daedalic Entertainment closes development studio, cancels second LotR project

SaysWho?

• 4 weeks later...
gollum_2.jpg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Daedalic cancels a second LOTR game in development

Publisher Daedalic Entertainment is closing the Hamburg, Germany-based internal studio that made The Lord of the Rings: Gollum, and has ended development on a second project based on the Lord of the Rings intellectual property, the company has confirmed to Polygon. Daedalic will instead fully focus on its publishing business.

In a statement to Polygon, Daedalic said Gollum “did not live up to the expectations we had for the game,” but added that the publisher will continue to work on another patch for the stealth-adventure game, which it released in May. Daedalic said it plans to work with former employees to place them elsewhere in its “network.”

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Lord of the Rings: Gollum - Information Thread, update: Daedalic Entertainment closes development studio, cancels second LotR project
On 5/26/2023 at 12:45 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The "Official Developer Apology" has been issued.

image.png

I know this is a month old, but you know things are bad when in the first full sentence of their apology, the dev gets the name of their game and the franchise to which it belongs incorrect. Just incredible stuff.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I mean it is a bit surprising since like Stepee said they've been around for a while. But I guess that is the state of gaming now, make 1 bad game and you go out of business. :(

Especially since it's easily the most expensive one they've ever made

Any time a small dev wants to make a big game in skeptical because I think they underestimate the cost and eventually their bank gets looney tunes eyes.

30 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Any time a small dev wants to make a big game in skeptical because I think they underestimate the cost and eventually their bank gets looney tunes eyes.

This was an odd one though because from the outset everyone's reaction was, "why why why?" and the devs never answered why and in fact made something even less than everyone's expectations. :p

• True 1

Still utterly amazed someone thought of this, thought it would be a good idea, involved other people who may or may not have thought it would be a good idea, proceeded to go through with it then 'acted' surprised when it failed.

And now I've dedicated more time posting this than was probably put into this abomination

• 3 months later...
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

Several former Daedalic employees have spoken for the first time about the issues surrounding the development of The Lord of the Rings Gollum.

On 6/30/2023 at 7:55 PM, Kal-El814 said:

I know this is a month old, but you know things are bad when in the first full sentence of their apology, the dev gets the name of their game and the franchise to which it belongs incorrect. Just incredible stuff.

@Kal-El814 maybe you were on to something. 🤔

• Haha 2
  • Sicko 1
  • Hype 2