Rumor: Microsoft Bringing Game Pass And Published Titles To Switch

Commissar SFLUFAN

Game Informer article

According to a report from outlet Direct Feed Games, an outlet that has a strong track record for rumors especially centering around Nintendo, Microsoft and Nintendo are about to get together in a big way in the near future. Not only will some Microsoft games find their way to the Switch, but it looks like the entire Game Pass library might arrive via the magic of streaming. 

If Nintendo agrees to this for the purpose of placing it behind their own shitty subscription wall, the cynic in me will be reeling.

Might as well set up this now so that when EA / Activision / Google / Ubisoft / Capcom / etc come knocking with their own streaming alternatives, they'll still get an entry level cut.  Same goes with Gold and Plus.

35 minutes ago, JosephManderley said:

I can't get my head around this.  Surely the streaming tech isn't good enough for me to be able to play Forza, on Switch in handheld mode, tethered to my mobile?  I just can't see the experience being good enough. (Yet!)

They are hoping 5G will fill in that last piece. In theory it could, in practice, it won’t.

2 hours ago, JosephManderley said:

I can't get my head around this.  Surely the streaming tech isn't good enough for me to be able to play Forza, on Switch in handheld mode, tethered to my mobile?  I just can't see the experience being good enough. (Yet!)

Well, that scenario is probably not what it's meant for.  

You can certainly stream games though if you have the bandwidth and don't need to worry about any data limits

I streamed all of Creed Odyssey via Google Stream and while it wasn't perfect it was good enough. I'd say good enough streams on the Switch would be a great thing

Of course, it depends on what games

I read this post on Reset and this seems like a pretty good take on this:

This is basically MS endgame. Long ago, they wanted to be a set top box in the living room, but things in the company have changed. It is all about cloud services now, and the growth of PaaS (Azure). They will still sell a console, but the idea is to simply make GaaS, and Netflix for gaming real, Their competition in the company is with industry giants such as Apple, Amazon (AWS), and Google. With at least two rumored to be coming for the gaming market, getting XBox on as many devices as possible is the ONLY real way that MS will survive in gaming long term. Not only survive, but thrive. 

I'm sure they would put in on Sony as well, if Sony would let them do so.

Nintendo and Sony have a different vision and are doing something different than Microsoft. Maybe all the word on Google/Apple getting in on game streaming forced their hands on put GamePass on rival consoles sooner than they expected, but with that being their big investment for the future, I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually are on a Sony console as well.

This was obvious if you were paying attention.

Below is my quote from the Crackdown thread on Tuesday:

Honestly I think retail sales are not a priority for MS at all anymore.  Even outside of video games look at all of MS business from the enterprise level to home users and now to games.  Microsoft is interested in getting people into a subscription model.  That is their push company wide and they are less and less concerned about the hardware it is running on too.

My guess is that game pass may show up on "other" devices (other than PC where it already exists) in the not too distant future.

Just now, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Imagine how much better the hardware will be when Samsung, Apple, and others are manufacturing the new hardware. 

Yup.  The funny thing is M$ looks like the only company welcoming this future with open arms.  Well the only current major player in the games sector anyway.  They recognized that providing excellent services and being hardware agnostic is a financial winner. 

The problem for gamers is that I think it will be a while before Sony plays nice with others.  They only way they will probably ever give in is if they start to massively lose market share and are forced to.  So in the end the consumer will decide.

The claims that streaming is the 'future' rub me much the same as when people were saying similar things about VR.

Based on my time with Project Stream, the technology isn't there yet.  Even with a hardwired connection, it's a 1080-minus experience.  Playing over wifi is even more inconsistent.  There might be an audience that finds that acceptable.  But it's still sitting in a no-man's land in between portable-ready and TV-ready. 

The Switch, with its 720p display, might be a good middle ground candidate.  Question is, could they pull off a good looking cloud stream at 720p with negligible input lag when it isn't hardwired?

Capcom's experiments with RE7 in Japan apparently left much to be desired.  Over wifi, you can get a decent 720p stream with a fair bit of input lag.  Over a phone?

As someone who's never been interested in Panic Button's ports, I don't have any hope of a streaming service 'fixing' the system's low powered problem.  I'd rather not play games looking like this, with input lag to boot.

2 hours ago, number305 said:

Yup.  The funny thing is M$ looks like the only company welcoming this future with open arms.  Well the only current major player in the games sector anyway.  They recognized that providing excellent services and being hardware agnostic is a financial winner. 

The problem for gamers is that I think it will be a while before Sony plays nice with others.  They only way they will probably ever give in is if they start to massively lose market share and are forced to.  So in the end the consumer will decide.

They still have a long way to go to demonstrate that being hardware agnostic is a "financial winner" -- I haven't purchased a single PC game from the MS store that wasn't published by MS.  They are getting $0 of my cross-platform spending ATM.

6 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

They still have a long way to go to demonstrate that being hardware agnostic is a "financial winner" -- I haven't purchased a single PC game from the MS store that wasn't published by MS.  They are getting $0 of my cross-platform spending ATM.

Without your money M$ is nothing.

They have proven this in several arenas.  Enterprise, personal computing, and now games.

Their big shift came a handful of years ago.  They had been fighting Apple tooth and nail... then they realized everyone was using iPads anyway.  So they decided to make sure that all those people using and iPad in the enterprise environment were using M$ software on them.  That business for them absolutely exploded. 

2 hours ago, number305 said:

I think it’s a little naive to think Sony doesn’t realize the potential of streaming and that hardware will eventually be irrelevant. 

There’s already rumblings of Sony putting together an uber-Netflix like package that includes games, music, movie, live TV under one package. Hell, they’re the company that bought that streaming service years ago. 

MS is not your buddy. They’re playing that up because they have to, just like Sony did to start this gen. 

3 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I think it’s a little naive to think Sony doesn’t realize the potential of streaming and that hardware will eventually be irrelevant. 

There’s already rumblings of Sony putting together an uber-Netflix like package that includes games, music, movie, live TV under one package. Hell, they’re the company that bought that streaming service years ago. 

MS is not your buddy. They’re playing that up because they have to, just like Sony did to start this gen. 

All I can go by is what is actually happening.  Sony is in the business of building walls around it's territory and M$ has been working like hell to tear theirs down.  Look at what this thread is about for instance... 

3 minutes ago, number305 said:

All I can go by is what is actually happening.  Sony is in the business of building walls around it's territory and M$ has been working like hell to tear theirs down.  Look at what this thread is about for instance... 

I’m a big fan of what MS has been doing, and I think Sony has been absurd with their denial of crossplay and blantantly dishonest about why. 

But MS is doing it because they are in a position where they have to do it - not out of some deeper understanding of the industry. That’s what I’m getting at. None of these companies are your friend. As soon as they convince themselves they’ve got people back on their side, they’ll go back to getting away with as much as they possibly can to take advantage of us. 

19 minutes ago, number305 said:

They have proven this in several arenas.  Enterprise, personal computing, and now games.

Their big shift came a handful of years ago.  They had been fighting Apple tooth and nail... then they realized everyone was using iPads anyway.  So they decided to make sure that all those people using and iPad in the enterprise environment were using M$ software on them.  That business for them absolutely exploded. 

They've never had a monopoly on games as they did with their Office suite.

I think xCloud/GamesPass is an early attempt to establish one.  But it's also going to inspire bigger publishers to try their own hand at it.  If Microsoft can reach out to Nintendo for their streaming or game library service, so can EA/Ubisoft/Google/Amazon/Activision/SquareEnix/Capcom/etc.

17 minutes ago, number305 said:

They have not demonstrated any ability to derive cross-platform revenue from games.

6 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

They have not demonstrated any ability to derive cross-platform revenue from games.

I think there are a lot of people that have been taking advantage of playing game pass games on both PC and Xbox.  I do.  But to be honest I have no numbers or stats on that.