Days Gone OT - Queasy Rider (Update: Horde DLC)

Pikachu

I'm still down... hard to say how many of these reviews were influenced by the negative perception of this game for the last two years. I don't place much stock in reviews these days anyway... I will say that the consistent mention of "forced stealth sections" has me worried because there's nothing I hate more than forced, tedious stealth missions in games. ESPECIALLY if the stealth isn't particularly fun. The comparisons to the first Watchdogs aren't reassuring either because while I bought and beat that game, I WAS particularly underwhelmed by it and HATED Aidan as a character. Game is already downloaded on my system so there's no turning back anyway :p

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm still down... hard to say how many of these reviews were influenced by the negative perception of this game for the last two years.

Possibly.  I've also seen some journalists that shit talked it from the get go now saying it's fun.  (Jim Sterling, Giant Bomb suprisingly)  Expectations might have more to do with it.  Everyone seemed to have a different idea of what this game was supposed to be.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Possibly.  I've also seen some journalists that shit talked it from the get go now saying it's fun.  (Jim Sterling, Giant Bomb suprisingly)  Expectations might have more to do with it.  Everyone seemed to have a different idea of what this game was supposed to be.

Which is weird... always seemed to me to be exactly what it is. A very polished Open world Zombie game that borrows heavily from the Ubisoft formula. What did folks think this was gonna be? An RPG?

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Which is weird... always seemed to me to be exactly what it is. A very polished Open world Zombie game that borrows heavily from the Ubisoft formula. What did folks think this was gonna be? An RPG?

Either 'the most generic open world game ever' or 'a reinvention of open world dynamic systems and storytelling.'

Lots of hyperbole on both sides before release.  Game seems to fall in the middle somewhere.  That's probably why the reviews are so polarizing.

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Read a couple of these reviews for shits and giggles and they really are all over the place and contradict each other and in some cases, themselves.

• Like 1

Some of the more middle-of-the-pack reviews like Gamesradar said that the beginning is particularly slow going.  The story doesn't really have much of a thread early on, but finds one later in the game and finishes reasonably well.

A slow start is never a good thing.  But it might be hurting the game a bit if some reviewers didn't bother to see it through.

On one hand, I can respect a reviewer not wanting to finish, since it could reflect someone's real world experience with the game.
But I also kinda feel like they should be willing to go the distance to be informative.  It sounds like they all had weeks with it.

6 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Some of the more middle-of-the-pack reviews like Gamesradar said that the beginning is particularly slow going.  The story doesn't really have much of a thread early on, but finds one later in the game and finishes reasonably well.

A slow start is never a good thing.  But it might be hurting the game a bit if some reviewers didn't bother to see it through.

On one hand, I can respect a reviewer not wanting to finish, since it could reflect someone's real world experience with the game.
But I also kinda feel like they should be willing to go the distance to be informative. 
It sounds like they all had weeks with it.

That's literally THEIR JOB... to finish a game.  How can you review something if you haven't seen it through in its entirety?

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That's literally THEIR JOB... to finish a game.  How can you review something if you haven't seen it through in its entirety?

If it's excruciatingly bad and/or impossibly difficult, I would understand it.  Especially for a 40 hour game.

Otherwise, I agree, they should try their best to finish.  Especially if they're given plenty of time to.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

If it's excruciatingly bad, I would understand it.  Especially for a 40 hour game.

Otherwise, I agree, they should try their best to finish.  Especially if they're given plenty of time to.

Then they should say that in the review... "The game was so bad, I didn't bother to finish it" Don't give the impression that you played the whole game when you only played ten hours. I noticed the disconnect in various reviews too especially about Deacon. 

Absolutely. If the game is so bad you can’t finish it then say that. But those games should be few and far between. If the game is simply a little boring to you, sorry that’s your JOB. You play the whole game and give the public a summary without spoiling anything. That’s how reviewing works. I hate most of the game “media” so so much. Where did Sessler disappear to? I want his reviews back. 

9 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Absolutely. If the game is so bad you can’t finish it then say that. But those games should be few and far between. If the game is simply a little boring to you, sorry that’s your JOB. You play the whole game and give the public a summary without spoiling anything. That’s how reviewing works. I hate most of the game “media” so so much. Where did Sessler disappear to? I want his reviews back. 

Sad part is there are a lot of youtubers I trust FAR mare than gaming outlets even if I don't agree with their takes all the time. Gaming "journalism" is a joke

32 minutes ago, johnny said:

Like I'm going to trust an ign review lmao. I trust this board more than those fake journalists 

We haven't played it yet, so you may want to hold off on any assertions.

16 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

"Just wait until you get to the very end and do every single story thing, THEN it stops being boring!"

Sounds like some really compelling shit.

Nope.  It wouldn't be.  Even the reviews up on the game say the story starts slow.

The quote you paraphrased concerned late game plot revelations, to make sense of it all.  I can still get behind that conceptually.  The bigger question I have is if it'll take 30 hours to get to an interesting twist or plot arc.

3 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

The quote you tried to distill concerned late game plot revelations, to make sense of it all.  I can get behind that conceptually. 

" like they didn't complete EVERY storyline path"

Reads to me like a whole helluva lot of padding. Unless "storyline path" is just this dude's weird way of saying main story missions, which is not something I got from this quote at all. It reads as though to get very critical information, you're doing side shit? Which is hilarious. Besides that, there's a difference between a slow start and a boring start, and I think it's critically important that the two not be mixed up.

7 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

" like they didn't complete EVERY storyline path"

Reads to me like a whole helluva lot of padding. Unless "storyline path" is just this dude's weird way of saying main story missions, which is not something I got from this quote at all. There's a difference between a slow start and a boring start, and I think it's critically important that the two not be mixed up.

The wording probably has more to do with the way the game itself refers to it.  There's a "Storylines" section in the menu which has different threads you can choose to follow.

No clue how linear, padded, required/optional, etc, most of those are.  I don't think any of the reviews went super deep into that.

It’s kinda boring that it seems the game ended up being exactly what i thought it always looked, really average. I’ll still prob pick it up for $20 or whatever at the end of the year but this is the first Sony exclusive in awhile I’m going to pass on for $60.

2 hours ago, johnny said:

That’s cringey but I could honestly see some biker chick (less attractive than her) saying some shit like that 

Apparently it's a thing.  Both biker lingo, and some sort of in joke where she told him not to say it at their engagement.

Someone had to have seen this coming though.

Well the reviews are disappointing. But I don’t have much faith in them anyway. My copy is coming today, but I’m going to wait to hear more from you guys as to wether I should crack it or return it. 

If I return it, maybe I’ll finally jump back in to Witcher 3 and finally beat it. 

8 hours ago, johnny said:

That’s cringey but I could honestly see some biker chick (less attractive than her) saying some shit like that 

7 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Apparently it's a thing.  Both biker lingo, and some sort of in joke where she told him not to say it at their engagement.

Someone had to have seen this coming though.

6 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I don’t get why people are upset by that line of dialogue. She’s clearly saying it tongue and cheek. I’ve said corny shit like that to my wife before to try and make her laugh 🤷🏻‍♂️

Having known my share of Bikers, this is most definitely a thing. Classy? Nope, but its real and I've heard far worse. :lol: