Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Pikachu

Sony Days Gone OT - Queasy Rider (Update: Horde DLC)

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I think I encountered my first horde last night. I died. Twice. I don't think I'm ready yet.

 

It was a ton of them mostly in a train car by a Nero station.

 

That's the first horde you encounter and the smallest I think. It's also the ONLY one I've defeated so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've beaten I think 3ish hordes? It's fun when you can finally defeat them, even if you have to wear them down, but I am mega looking forward to taking on a super horde. For now, fuck that. :lol: 

 

2 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I cheesed that horde by attacking it during the day. 

 

How dare you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Famitsu Sales: Week 17, 2019 (Apr 22 - Apr 28)

01./00. [PS4] Days Gone <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2019.04.26} (¥6.900) - 114.319 / NEW
02./00. [NSW] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age <RPG> (Square Enix) {2019.04.25} (¥5.800) - 20.366 / NEW
03./00. [NSW] Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization - Deluxe Edition <Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization \ Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization - Abyss of the Shrine Maiden: Chapter I> <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2019.04.25} (¥5.700) - 17.618 / NEW
04./03. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200) - 13.573 / 3.043.150 (+23%)
05./07. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 10.509 / 748.009 (+23%)
06./00. [NSW] Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen # <ACT> (Capcom) {2019.04.25} (¥3.990) - 10.207 / NEW
07./05. [NSW] Yoshi's Crafted World <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.03.29} (¥5.980) - 9.138 / 109.871 (+1%)
08./10. [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe <New Super Mario Bros. U \ New Super Luigi U> <ACT> (Nintendo) {2019.01.11} (¥5.980) - 8.962 / 584.806 (+23%)
09./11. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 8.456 / 2.269.581 (+23%)
10./04. [NSW] Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit # <EDU> (Nintendo) {2019.04.12} (¥7.980) - 7.467 / 43.175 (-18%)
 

#1 in Germany and Italy as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I think the poor performance and bugs fooled Japanese buyers into thinking this was a Japanese developed game. 


Jokes aside, I wouldn't be surprised if Japan thought bugs were part of the charm of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I beat that first horde last night. Don't think I was the most effective, but I got the job done. I came at it from a different direction and didn't see all the big flammable tanks and shit. :p 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I beat that first horde last night. Don't think I was the most effective, but I got the job done. I came at it from a different direction and didn't see all the big flammable tanks and shit. :p 

 

Is it fun to play? I know I keep asking how this game is but the reviews scare me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, best3444 said:

 

Is it fun to play? I know I keep asking how this game is but the reviews scare me.

I've already said I'm enjoying it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@best3444

Moment to moment, I'm finding its quite a fun game to play.  The bike is fun.  Melee is fun.  Stealth kills are fun.  Trying (and failing) to kill hordes is fun.  Pitting the AI against itself is fun.  Gunplay... gets more fun after your guns and focus meter improve.  The skill tree is well designed.  The world is atmospheric - it's a great looking game.  Story missions are varied, if not entirely original.  The plot dangles just enough threads for you to care.  You can kill anything that can kill you if you're prepared and savvy enough.  Getting knocked around by the world semi-randomly is also part of the charm.  There's a lot of 'moments' in this game that will be specific to the person playing it.  Like when you accidentally fell into a horde's nest.  Or got an enemy sniper to take out their own camp for you, then watch him get mauled by zombies for making a ruckus.

20 hours in at the moment.  It's not a hard game to recommend, IMO.  For $60?  Sure.  Not an instant-buy, but a good time.  At worst, it's a 'popcorn flick' that relies on tropes but still manages to be a fun ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, AndyD said:

I only watched like the first minute or two but some good points

 

 

 

Very good review so far (11 minutes in). It is strange how low the reviews are, even though low 70s is still good for me. I can definitely see why someone wouldn't give it 90+ based on the initial glitches alone. Around this time, he also gets to the things he doesn't like as much, but he's pretty high on the game and being worth $60.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would've actually picked this up for the sheer trashery if it wasn't yet another "massive open world". It looks fun enough for an on-sale buy gameplay-wise but ultimately looks like a huge time sink due to the open world to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bloodporne said:

I would've actually picked this up for the sheer trashery if it wasn't yet another "massive open world". It looks fun enough for an on-sale buy gameplay-wise but ultimately looks like a huge time sink due to the open world to me. 

 

It's a time sink, but it's a really fun time sink. The nests, the hordes, the camps, they're freaking fun. I also just love seeing cars and buildings and going, "I wonder if cool shit is there!" And mega-agreed with that video: you really do feel like you're kicking more ass throughout the game. The thing I disagree with him on is God of War felt like great progression because even though enemies became stronger, holy hell did you feel more badass with the new moves and Runic attacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sentiment before release was poor, the game doesn’t start strong, bugs galore, and poor performance doomed this game with reviewers, who are rushing to get the review done. Similar to JRPGs, the longer you marinate in the world and unlock/upgrade, the game starts to become more enjoyable. The game will be considered underrated as more time passes. 

 

Last night, I was the meat in a horde sandwich. When trying to clear out some nests, I aggro’d a horde. I sprinted for my life only to run into another horde and died a gruesome death. I did ultimately kill the small horde by using attractors and bombs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

@best3444

Moment to moment, I'm finding its quite a fun game to play.  The bike is fun.  Melee is fun.  Stealth kills are fun.  Trying (and failing) to kill hordes is fun.  Pitting the AI against itself is fun.  Gunplay... gets more fun after your guns and focus meter improve.  The skill tree is well designed.  The world is atmospheric - it's a great looking game.  Story missions are varied, if not entirely original.  The plot dangles just enough threads for you to care.  You can kill anything that can kill you if you're prepared and savvy enough.  Getting knocked around by the world semi-randomly is also part of the charm.  There's a lot of 'moments' in this game that will be specific to the person playing it.  Like when you accidentally fell into a horde's nest.  Or got an enemy sniper to take out their own camp for you, then watch him get mauled by zombies for making a ruckus.

20 hours in at the moment.  It's not a hard game to recommend, IMO.  For $60?  Sure.  Not an instant-buy, but a good time.  At worst, it's a 'popcorn flick' that relies on tropes but still manages to be a fun ride.

 

You convinced me to buy it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

 

It's a time sink, but it's a really fun time sink. The nests, the hordes, the camps, they're freaking fun. I also just love seeing cars and buildings and going, "I wonder if cool shit is there!" And mega-agreed with that video: you really do feel like you're kicking more ass throughout the game. The thing I disagree with him on is God of War felt like great progression because even though enemies became stronger, holy hell did you feel more badass with the new moves and Runic attacks.

I'll probably eventually pick it up on sale way down the line honestly. I kind of want it as a B-movie guilty pleasure thing so I'll see when I'm ripe for that kind of entertainment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bloodporne said:

I'll probably eventually pick it up on sale way down the line honestly. I kind of want it as a B-movie guilty pleasure thing so I'll see when I'm ripe for that kind of entertainment.

 

You won't feel guilty.

 

You'll feel 479d1258f21df418925dacbd9a603a2ab56b90a4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This game is basically the Crackdown 3 of the PS4.


Do you have Days Gone?

I haven't played Crackdown 3, but I can't imagine that being a great comparison.  IMO, Days Gone is recommendable as a full price purchase and has the content to justify the long development time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:


Do you have Days Gone?

I haven't played Crackdown 3, but I can't imagine that being a great comparison.  IMO, Days Gone is recommendable as a full price purchase and has the content to justify the long development time.

 

More along the lines of a game with long development time comes out to middling reviews but people have fun despite it warts and all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it is going to be compared to any Crackdown game then it has to be the OG. Crackdown is an underrated, fun Xbox game that did a lot of things right and left a good foundation for a sequel. Crackdown 3 felt like the nail in the coffin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

 

More along the lines of a game with long development time comes out to middling reviews but people have fun despite it warts and all.


If that's your criteria, I suppose so.  But on the whole, it's probably no better to say that Days Gone is Sony's Crackdown 3 than Yoshi is Nintendo's Crackdown 3.

Maybe Anthem?  I dunno. Crackdown 3 is very much its own set of circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

 

More along the lines of a game with long development time comes out to middling reviews but people have fun despite it warts and all.

 

Ehhhhhhh

 

Crackdown 3 had several developers throughout its life and had that infamous misleading video of what the power of the cloud would do. I also saw people who had fun and some who really did think it was a disappointment since the first Crackdown was so fun (the user score on MetaCritic, for example, is way lower for CD3 in the 50s than for Days Gone). Days Gone did do what it was sold as. Crackdown 1 is still remember fondly for the fun factor, and I suspect Days Gone will be remember fondly as well. I can't say the same at least from what I've read about CD3.

 

Not a knock on the ones who enjoyed CD3. A lot of people hate Dynasty Warriors, but fuck it; I love the series up through 8 and except for 6. :p 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a good video review as well. "We don't just beat the games; we complete them." Part of why they really liked it, probably. He thought for a while it looked generic. After the reveal of the hordes and the first trailer, he was exciting, but doubts set in, then delays happened and doubts happened more, and stuff like skill trees/audio logs made it look derivative.

 

He ended up thinking that the game rewards you the more you play it, the more crazy things you see, the more little moments (freakers eating other freakers), and thinks the game has a ton of variety and is a unique and great experience on its own. He mentions the game is "back-ended as hell" with the best side quests coming later and the experience being different at the end than the beginning. "I really, really love Days Gone. It has a lot going for it, but you have to give it time."

 

 

I had no idea what this channel was, but I love that he seems to just love games, doesn't talk negatives in hyperbole, and doesn't try to do some dumb personality shtick that many Youtubers do. I think I'm going to follow him more often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had my first real moments of frustration last night. I was on the mission escorting the teenage girl to one of the camps. First time trying, we get to a tunnel with enemies. Deacon tells her to hop off the bike so he can take care of them and when I'm inching forward toward the bad guys,  the mission fails, saying I left the girl behind. Wtf? I did exactly as the mission prompted me! Second time I tried it, I hopped off the bike on the road to gather some scrap from a car. The bike falls over for some reason and the girl dies and the mission is failed. I damn near threw my controller in frustration.

 

Other than that, still enjoying it a lot and will be playing more today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Had my first real moments of frustration last night. I was on the mission escorting the teenage girl to one of the camps. First time trying, we get to a tunnel with enemies. Deacon tells her to hop off the bike so he can take care of them and when I'm inching forward toward the bad guys,  the mission fails, saying I left the girl behind. Wtf? I did exactly as the mission prompted me! Second time I tried it, I hopped off the bike on the road to gather some scrap from a car. The bike falls over for some reason and the girl dies and the mission is failed. I damn near threw my controller in frustration.

 

Other than that, still enjoying it a lot and will be playing more today.

 

This happened to me last night, exactly! First I tried to avoid the tunnel and go around the mountain, but the game failed me for trying to take the safe route around. Second time I go in, it fails me cause I got too far. Third time I hopped off closer and the tough girl who has survived on her own for a year dies to a tipped bike 😂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mo1518 said:

 

This happened to me last night, exactly! First I tried to avoid the tunnel and go around the mountain, but the game failed me for trying to take the safe route around. Second time I go in, it fails me cause I got too far. Third time I hopped off closer and the tough girl who has survived on her own for a year dies to a tipped bike 😂 

More like two years. 

 

What madness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I can't say the same at least from what I've read about CD3.

 

So you haven't played it? Sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

 

So you haven't played it? Sad.

 

That's another difference, bitch. :angry: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...