Days Gone OT - Queasy Rider (Update: Horde DLC)

Pikachu

I played for 30 minutes this morning before heading to work. The atmosphere is as reviews suggested ,nothing you haven't seen before. But its also a beautiful world, the Bike is fun, combat is suitably vicious, the music is well handled, and the dialog is largely exposition free (a pet peeve of mine!). Overall, I'm excited to dive tonight! 

OK, so I clocked another hour of game play and so far its still a pretty guided experience. I'm enjoying the world still and like the atmosphere, but I have technical complaints! Now, you all know I have a Diva's tastes when it comes to graphic fidelity and frame rates, but God Damn does the frame rate on this game suck! Fast Zombies + bad frame rate + limited ammo = Messy and stressy Vic! :lol: I really hope there are additional performance improvement patches released for this game pronto!  

Also: I'm actually a  little queasy from that play session and my eyes are watering. Feels like the first time I tried VR. :sick:

• Sad 1

I heard this is like the recent mad max game mixed with zombies and the last of us. Truth to that? I loved mad max, so that comparison alone makes me think I might be the target audience for an underappreciated gem that's rough around the edges. 

14 minutes ago, mo1518 said:

I heard this is like the recent mad max game mixed with zombies and the last of us. Truth to that? I loved mad max, so that comparison alone makes me think I might be the target audience for an underappreciated gem that's rough around the edges. 

Yeah that's a pretty close approximation... throw in a little Far Cry and you're pretty close to what this game is. I'm not very far into it but I enjoy what I'm playing so far. I'm playing on the PS Poor so I'm not sure how much better it runs on the pro. I know that HDR is disabled for me and there are definitely framerate hitches but nothing too bad so far.

I'm quite enjoying it so far, though I'm not too far into it. I reached my first open stealth area, and I've liked utilizing the different stealth areas, getting a safe combo (using the menu with the touchpad is a really nice touch), what I can use to craft things, etc.

Whether this is like Horizon, where the more I play it the more I enjoy it, or not, remains to be seen. But so far so good!

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

I'm quite enjoying it so far, though I'm not too far into it. I reached my first open stealth area, and I've liked utilizing the different stealth areas, getting a safe combo (using the menu with the touchpad is a really nice touch), what I can use to craft things, etc.

Whether this is like Horizon, where the more I play it the more I enjoy it, or not, remains to be seen. But so far so good!

I'm digging it too but I do wonder if I'll get tired of it after awhile. I AM curious to see how they handle survival mode. I can see that working very well.

Got my copy today and wanted to try it out but then the game needed a huge update. Probably won't play until tomorrow. I'm watching a few MCU movies which will lead me to Endgame when I see it tomorrow morning.

Little disappointed that the reviews are all over the place for Days Gone but hopefully I can enjoy it. While 10s would have been nice, I don't need all 10s to enjoy a game. If I don't like it, I will get rid of it quickly.

Nero stations and infestations are a LOT of fun. I also came across my first horde by a side thing I was doing and had to mega stealth everything.

Game's coming together. It's clearly not as polished as the other Sony AAA games, but Bend is also, even with its expansion, a much smaller studio. If I continue to enjoy the game, then hopefully a bigger team with a framework already set can knock a sequel out of the park.

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Nero stations and infestations are a LOT of fun. I also came across my first horde by a side thing I was doing and had to mega stealth everything.

Game's coming together. It's clearly not as polished as the other Sony AAA games, but Bend is also, even with its expansion, a much smaller studio. If I continue to enjoy the game, then hopefully a bigger team with a framework already set can knock a sequel out of the park.

I was completing a bounty, stealthily making my way through the enemy camp killing dudes when a horde came near. I didn't alert them but the enemy did and the horde started attacking everyone.  I got the hell out if there and had to come back later  to collect the bounty evidence.

Played for 3 hours or so, on the Pro.  It's a perfect example of a B-game, in a good way.

The controls are deliberate and somewhat heavy, but it fits the type of experience they were going for.  You can't rely on your primary weapons to the same degree as other games.  Pistol shots typically won't stop a lunging zombie in their tracks.  4+ zombies are enough to overwhelm you if you go melee (you aren't Batman in this).  The bike also feels designed to be fun, but not so responsive that you could easily course correct out of anything.  Stealth is probably the best approach in most situations.  It's fun without being too punishing if you screw up.  But I was surprised by how far the AI will chase you if you don't find a good hiding spot.

I think it's a simple but enjoyable game so far.  If you just want to follow a through line, you can do that.  If you don't, there's only a few distractions along the way.  There's very little icon vomit - it feels like the antithesis of that type of open world design.  Weapons break, but are repairable, and you always have the boot knife. (that's a plus over BoTW)  There's always some push back from the world, but not in the way other games tend to gate you off with higher level monsters.

Graphics are top notch.  I think this is a much better looking game than Odyssey, at the least.  The lighting and foliage is incredible, and it feels dense in all the right ways.

2 hours ago, SimpleG said:

This game has been a real dumpster fire for me. Between the audio bugs and the game crashing more often then I get it to play, I decided to shelve it. Seems to be to ambitious for the hardware.

Are you playing on the standard PS4?  Hasn't been my experience on the Pro.

Hopefully they can patch out the audio bugs and crashes.  Otherwise, I agree with Digital Foundry:

It doesn't feel like they overshot the hardware at all.  Seems like they found a sweet spot, albeit with some occasional (temporary) snags for world streaming.  It's more of a marvel that it runs as good as it does 95% of the time, IMO.

EDIT: Just saw this regarding audio bugs

9 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Are you playing on the standard PS4?  Hasn't been my experience at all. 

Pro

Driving thru the woods I get constant hitches and med to large set pieces it "feels" like I am dropping frames. Honestly the biggest issue just getting the game run, upon loading up it seems to go anywhere from 45 secs to over a min and it will crash a dozen or more times before I get to the main menu.

3 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Pro

Driving thru the woods I get constant hitches and med to large set pieces it "feels" like I am dropping frames. Honestly the biggest issue just getting the game run, upon loading up it seems to go anywhere from 45 secs to over a min and it will crash a dozen or more times before I get to the main menu.

How full is your harddrive? ... DF speculated it might have something to do with that.  Their experience mirrors mine so far.

Sounds like another patch is coming at least.

I haven't experienced audio bugs, but I have heard of them. Hope they psych that asap for those affected.

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I was completing a bounty, stealthily making my way through the enemy camp killing dudes when a horde came near. I didn't alert them but the enemy did and the horde started attacking everyone.  I got the hell out if there and had to come back later  to collect the bounty evidence.

I love that kind of emergent gameplay. I was clearing out an infestation and some humans were attacking the swarmers and helped thin the numbers. Course that was different and helped me out lol

This is turning out to be quite a year for zombie games, eh?  Despite feeling a bit burnt out by the genre, DG still seems like a good enough time that I'll probably pick it up when it goes on sale and after several patches are released.  I love the prospect of cruising around the open world and taking in the scenery while experiencing random interesting moments involving humans, undead, wildlife, etc.  It'll be worth my time and cash if it offers that much.

15 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Though I hope this game does well, saying "Day 1, sales are strong" might be calling it a bit early, hehe.  My concern from the beginning was that lukewarm reviews might influence public opinion, eventually influencing sales numbers later.  For better or worse, this is common in the industry.  Too much stock is put into reviews sometimes.

8 minutes ago, fuckle85 said:

Though I hope this game does well, saying "Day 1, sales are strong" might be calling it a bit early, hehe.  My concern from the beginning was that lukewarm reviews might influence public opinion, eventually influencing sales numbers later.  For better or worse, this is common in the industry.  Too much stock is put into reviews sometimes.

How? Most games do the majority of their sales in the first week. If the game is selling strong early, that means that it's probably doing well. As was said earlier in this thread, reviews don't matter as much for certain games. They just don't.

12 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Pro

I haven't had one crash yet :thinking:

EDIT: I just booted it up and there was another update. Hopefully that improves performance.

14 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

How? Most games do the majority of their sales in the first week. If the game is selling strong early, that means that it's probably doing well. As was said earlier in this thread, reviews don't matter as much for certain games. They just don't.

I honestly don't know enough about marketing to gauge to what extent strong reviews + word of mouth (on and offline) impact sales and success and for which games, but It can matter sometimes, especially long term, so generally as a studio you always hope for good reviews/impressions (that Benji guy seemed to confirm this in a previous tweet).