Days Gone OT - Queasy Rider (Update: Horde DLC)

Pikachu

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

You guys seem to be enjoying this game. I'm on the fence and can't decide if I want to spend $63 on it. :hmm:

I'm having fun with it... real chill game to play in spurts. I would definitely say it's probably like the first Uncharted in terms of quality. Whoever said that earlier in the thread was spot-on. You get the sense that with a larger team, a second game would be REALLY something special. There's a lot they can do with this... I could even see some co-op and or base building aspects being built into this game.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm having fun with it... real chill game to play in spurts. I would definitely say it's probably like the first Uncharted in terms of quality. Whoever said that earlier in the thread was spot-on. You get the sense that with a larger team, a second game would be REALLY something special. There's a lot they can do with this... I could even see some co-op and or base building aspects being built into this game.

That was me, but I was quoting someone from Reset. It really is a game that's fun, has a lot of cool stuff, but rough around the edges partly because they had 50 people working on this for the longest time instead of a Santa Monica/Guerrilla/Naughty Dog-sized team. Hell, the dip to black transitions remind me of the first Uncharted big time, haha.

I'm glad it's apparently selling well. Bend's grown and I hope they can carry this into something even better next gen. For now, I'd say this is EASILY a very good game.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

That was me, but I was quoting someone from Reset. It really is a game that's fun, has a lot of cool stuff, but rough around the edges partly because they had 50 people working on this for the longest time instead of a Santa Monica/Guerrilla/Naughty Dog-sized team. Hell, the dip to black transitions remind me of the first Uncharted big time, haha.

I'm glad it's apparently selling well. Bend's grown and I hope they can carry this into something even better next gen. For now, I'd say this is EASILY a very good game.

I'd love for them to do another Syphon Filter at some point. I LOVED those games, even the PSP versions.

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

You guys seem to be enjoying this game. I'm on the fence and can't decide if I want to spend $63 on it.

If you think it sounds like fun, and you aren't totally burned out on open world stuff, I'd say its worth the $60.  A solid 8/10 type of game, with some generally high production values, neat emergent systems, and popcorn-flick plot.

It's definitely underrated.  Possibly because it's not a very reviewer friendly game to power through.  Or because there was some confirmation bias going on.  Regardless, it's a fun game and very much what it sells itself to be.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

If you think it sounds like fun, and you aren't totally burned out on open world stuff, I'd say its worth the $60.  A solid 8/10 type of game, with some generally high production values, neat emergent systems, and popcorn-flick plot.

It's definitely underrated.  Possibly because it's not a very reviewer friendly game to power through.  Or because there was some confirmation bias going on.  Regardless, it's a fun game and very much what it sells itself to be.

What he said.

• Thanks 1

After spending some time with this game it makes me really wonder if reviewers actually play a game for more than a couple of hours before writing a review. Several of the reviews made it seem like keep your bike fueled and repaired was a chore. I've run out of gas, like twice and both time fuel was nearby. In fact I was surprised by how much fuel is out there in the game world based on what some of the reviews said. AlsoI think I've had to repair my bike from zero once? Usually after getting ambushed. The reviews for this game are lazy as hell.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

How did you end up taking them out?

... I feel like I'm not clever enough at this point with the tools I have.  Though maybe I should try.  I did just get better guns from leveling up the Hot Springs Camp.

There'a a lot of explosive barrels in the junkyard so I used a lot of those against them. Between those and the explosives I had on hand, I was able to whittle their numbers down to a point where I could just mop them up with the melee weapons I had. You can also split them up into more manageable numbers if you run far enough away. That said,  I do think that this was the "starter" horde. Others I've come across seem MUCH bigger.

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

There'a a lot of explosive barrels in the junkyard so I used a lot of those against them. Between those and the explosives I had on hand, I was able to whittle their numbers down to a point where I could just mop them up with the melee weapons I had. You can also split them up into more manageable numbers if you run far enough away. That said,  I do think that this was the "starter" horde. Others I've come across seem MUCH bigger.

Can't wait for the 500 hordes. :dancing:

On 4/30/2019 at 2:12 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

After spending some time with this game it makes me really wonder if reviewers actually play a game for more than a couple of hours before writing a review. Several of the reviews made it seem like keep your bike fueled and repaired was a chore. I've run out of gas, like twice and both time fuel was nearby. In fact I was surprised by how much fuel is out there in the game world based on what some of the reviews said. AlsoI think I've had to repair my bike from zero once? Usually after getting ambushed. The reviews for this game are lazy as hell.

RDR2 got perfect scores so no reviewers don’t actually play them 

On 4/30/2019 at 4:12 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

The problem with the fuel/repair mechanic is its worthless when its never a threat.Remove it or make it interesting.

7 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

The problem with the fuel/repair mechanic is its worthless when its never a threat.Remove it or make it interesting.

I think the point of the mechanic is to treat your bike with car and learn how to ride it or else folks would just use the bike to mow down zombies by ramming into them. I don't have a problem with how it's implemented... it forces you to really think about your trips.

I'd be a little more down on the repair mechanic if you didn't have to split its resource (scrap) with crafting and melee weapon repair.  There is a bit of built in tension there, even if its marginal.  Repairing the bike without scrap costs money at camps too, as with fuel.  Whereas in the world, it's free.

Like skillz said, it does force you to think about your trips and driving.  I'm finding that to be grounded, but not really that cumbersome.  Crafting bandages repeatedly is more annoying than bike repair IMO.  Fortunately, that's also streamlined to some extent.

I've enjoyed the bike maintenance. There's nothing wrong with games where you can hijack another car or ride another animal, but this is an interesting, fun and different dynamic where this bike is yours. If you park it somewhere, you have to go back for it. You have to fuel it. You have to make it faster. Snipers may take it out while you're riding or try to trip you. Do you risk repairing your weapon with your remaining scraps or do you keep some just in case something happens to the bike?

I enjoy that dynamic because the whole point of the world is that nowhere is safe. 

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

I'm going to shortly. Not sure when. A few more patches wouldn't hurt feelings either. Everyone here seems to be enjoying it. 

This is where I'm at. I'm sold, but I might wait a little bit to see if there's a surprising sale somewhere in the next month, and in the meantime I'm going back to assassin's creed odyssey to chip away at its dlc. 

That said, I'll probably cave and be playing it before the weekend is over. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mo1518 said:

This is where I'm at. I'm sold, but I might wait a little bit to see if there's a surprising sale somewhere in the next month, and in the meantime I'm going back to assassin's creed odyssey to chip away at its dlc. 

That said, I'll probably cave and be playing it before the weekend is over. 

I’m replaying all the Uncharted games. Completed 1 and playing thru 2. Damn I love these games. Never finished 3 but 4 was incredible. Naughty Dog is sooooooo good. 

Just now, Biggie said:

Oh I am. Checked last night and it’s only $20 on the store. Looking forward to it. 

Nice! Once you're finished, lemme know what you think of a certain set piece in the game. You'll know once you're finished with the game.

AI isn't the game's strong suit.  I haven't encountered anything that bad personally.  Stealth is pretty forgiving, but its not as easy to cheese as most of that video implies.

The last clip looks like the gate at the safehouse.  Most camps have gunners to shoot down zombies and such before they get that close.  This was probably a necessary conceit to not have them run in and kill a key character.

9 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I don’t quite understand the XX% at the the of missions. Are there side objectives that I don’t see?

I believe for that specific story ("I Remember" "He's My Brother" etc.) you're that percentage of the way finished.

13 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I believe for that specific story ("I Remember" "He's My Brother" etc.) you're that percentage of the way finished.

Oh ok. I did the radio tower mission and it was 93% and I’m like “huh? What did I miss?”  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Oh ok. I did the radio tower mission and it was 93% and I’m like “huh? What did I miss?”  

Ah! Haha, nah, you'll see on the objectives menu that each story thread has a different percentage, and when you finish a new mission in that group, the percentage goes up. It does that and also on the map shows what doing that mission will unlock sometimes.

• Thanks 1