Days Gone OT - Queasy Rider (Update: Horde DLC)

Pikachu

It's Bend's first AAA game and a new IP, so I can understand Sony making a huge push for it. There is nothing else that has a set release date in terms of big time exclusives for Sony this year except for Dreams. Days Gone needs to sell well to keep the stock price up.

3 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

This feels like the first Sony game in a long time where Sony is actively trying to sell you on the game.  I don’t know if that is due to a lack of confidence in the game so Sony is trying to load upfront sales or just giving Bend a platform to sell themselves.

Nah, they're probably ramping up the coverage because they know it can sell.  They wouldn't put this much into marketing a game if they didn't believe in its sales potential.

There were years we didn't hear about the game outside of E3.  So it's also because the launch is close.

Horizon Zero Dawn was a new IP from Guerilla Games (a middling dev at the time) and it didn’t receive half of this much marketing. There was so much doubt about HZD leading up to release as well. Sony had a silent confidence about it and rightly so. The game reviewed and sold well. I am not getting the same vibe

43 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

This feels like the first Sony game in a long time where Sony is actively trying to sell you on the game.  I don’t know if that is due to a lack of confidence in the game so Sony is trying to load upfront sales or just giving Bend a platform to sell themselves.

I think it will sell well regardless.  The Ubisoft Open World formula is still going strong. 

2 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Horizon Zero Dawn was a new IP from Guerilla Games (a middling dev at the time) and it didn’t receive half of this much marketing. There was so much doubt about HZD leading up to release as well. Sony had a silent confidence about it and rightly so. The game reviewed and sold well. I am not getting the same vibe

From what I remember, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Spider-Man and now Days Gone all had a combination of:

• Hands-on previews at least a month prior to release
  • Deep dive videos that go over gameplay mechanics and the world
  • Early reviews due to confidence in the game
  • Lots of advertising

I remember tons of impressions and previews before Horizon came out; it just didn't have the deep dive videos. I know you don't do it, but much of the doubt for HZD or GOW or Days Gone usually consists of concern trolling for people who aren't interested. 

Due to it being a while since Bend did a console game as they've beefed up other people's IPs on handhelds for a while, my expectation is that Days Gone will be a really good game but maybe not the level of almost all their big games since Bloodborne. If they really pull off something special, then I'll be ecstatic for them because then the studio can attract more excitement.

10 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

You sure about that?  This was all within months of the launch.

Yeah I remember a TON of videos for HZD... shit there were a ton of videos for SPIDERMAN before it came out. I know this because I was doing my best to avoid a lot of these videos the same way I'm avoiding these Days Gone videos to avoid spoilers. These deep dive videos are fairly standard now as big games start getting closer to release. I think its when games DON'T have that many promo videos is when you should start worrying... or you can just NOT worry or speculate and just judge the game for what it is when it comes out :shrug:

• 3 weeks later...

6hrs of cutscenes in Days Gone

Denmark-based website GameReactor reported the news after previewing Days Gone. According to the website, developer Bend Studio shared that the title’s 30 hours of gameplay will include six hours of “cinematics.” How this will be distributed over the course of the full experience remains to be seen. For context, cinematics in God of War and Marvel’s Spider-Man run roughly the same length, cumulatively.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

You new to the internet? When has that ever happened?

It can - I've seen it happen.  But even when it doesn't, it's usually some nitpicky thing that someone has blown into a larger issue.

This is just inane from the start though.  Where is the discussion that similarly paced games had too many cutscenes?

3 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

If the story is good, this is a non-issue. If the story is bad, hopefully X will skip the cutscene. 

I might even say it’s a not a big issue if the story is middling.  It would depend on how often, and how long, they take away your control in that scenario.

I think if they wanted to do that to an unreasonable degree, we would have gotten more of a hint by now.

If I have time tonight I'll try to make a preview thread with everything, but I'm really excited by what I'm reading. It sounds like it has an addictive gameplay loop and considering Bend's size and previous smaller works, the polish is really impressive.

I'm going to go in not expecting something like God of War or Horizon, and I think I'll really enjoy the experience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 12:54 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Folks poo-pooed Horizon as well until it came out. Remember,  Guerilla Games was only known for Killzone at that point and folks weren't sure if they could pull off an openworld action RPG like Horizon. They pulled it off and given Sony's strong showing with first party games this gen, plus what I've seen of Days Gone, I'm pretty confident this game is gonna be on a bunch of "Best of lists" at the end of the year. Do we have any idea of how long it is generally at this point?

Personally I thought it would be good just because it looked good and wasn't Killzone.

People poo-pooed Horizon after it came out. Personally I don't think they gave it a fair shake.

However, I don't have any enthusiasm for this game especially following some hands on impressions.

52 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

However, I don't have any enthusiasm for this game especially following some hands on impressions.

Impressions have been positive on the whole though.  There are a handful of few negative ones, but just as many others like this.

I'm expecting it to be a polished, if not perfectly refined version of the game it sets out to be.

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Personally I thought it would be good just because it looked good and wasn't Killzone.

People poo-pooed Horizon after it came out. Personally I don't think they gave it a fair shake.

All the hands-ons I've seen have been overwhelmingly positive including our own @Mercury33 who got to play a bit of it.

Feels like hype is low for this one but I'm rooting for Bend.  It looks a bit troped out honestly (Sons of Anarchy meets Walking Dead story, strong Last of Us vibes, zombie apocalypse, open world wilderness setting, cinematic action/adventure OTS shooter from Sony, and so on) compared to several AAA hits and anticipated releases this gen, but the dynamic ecosystem of undead, humans and wildlife and how it interacts with the player and can present unique gameplay scenarios.  If DG ends up having impressive gameplay that results in high release day metacritic scores it'll probably do ok.

1 minute ago, fuckle85 said:

I'm rooting for Bend to score a hit with this one, but it feels like there's not much hype for it.  It looks a bit troped out tbh (Sons of Anarchy meets Walking Dead story, strong Last of Us vibes, zombie apocalypse, open world wilderness setting, cinematic action/adventure OTS shooter from Sony, and so on) compared to several AAA hits and anticipated releases this gen, but the dynamic ecosystem of undead, humans and wildlife and how it interacts with the player and can present unique gameplay scenarios, which is cool.  If DG ends up having impressive gameplay that results in high release day metacritic scores it'll probably do ok.

One of the main sales guys, along with Zhuge and Mat from NPD, who posts on Reset. IIRC, all of the ones who have spoken say the game is tracking really well. You'd have to tweet them for specifics, but I expect Days Gone to do very well outside the message board bubble.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

One of the main sales guys, along with Zhuge and Mat from NPD, who posts on Reset. IIRC, all of the ones who have spoken say the game is tracking really well. You'd have to tweet them for specifics, but I expect Days Gone to do very well outside the message board bubble.

True, I meant from both a sales, critic and word of mouth perspective.  Sometimes a 7.5-7.9 is a viewed by many as a death sentence to games that are actually still pretty fun.  Review scores can have a lot of pull, so if DG reviews well it'll probably stir more hype and make it more of an event than word of mouth (online at least, i don't have many friends who game irl) right now seems to indicate.

18 hours ago, fuckle85 said:

True, I meant from both a sales, critic and word of mouth perspective.  Sometimes a 7.5-7.9 is a viewed by many as a death sentence to games that are actually still pretty fun.  Review scores can have a lot of pull, so if DG reviews well it'll probably stir more hype and make it more of an event than word of mouth (online at least, i don't have many friends who game irl) right now seems to indicate.

Good reviews would certainly help, but by the day it’s becoming increasingly clear that there is a large amount of buzz surrounding the game.  Days Gone has its detractors for sure, but the concerned rhetoric is looking increasingly out of touch with the game’s sales potential.

For a little context Days Gone is currently the #1 selling PS4 tittle on Amazon.  Comparatively MK11, the other big April release, is sitting at #10.