Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (03 September 2021) - Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Official Trailer!)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought it was pretty good. Plenty of action, and great visuals, and Awkwafina is always fun and you can't go wrong with Michelle Yoeh.

only real issues and they're minor are  

Spoiler

it takes Awkwafina half a day to go from never shot an arrow to Hawkeye level...and the final fight against the dragon type thing just felt a bit off to me, perhaps its because they are fighting such a giant creature, not sure. 

42 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

I thought it was pretty good. Plenty of action, and great visuals, and Awkwafina is always fun and you can't go wrong with Michelle Yoeh.

only real issues and they're minor are  

Reveal hidden contents

For me, Captain America 2, GOTG, and Infinity War are top tier marvel movies. Black Panther, Captain America 1, and Dr. Strange are middle of the road movies. Thor 1/2, Iron Man 3, and Age of Ultron are bottom tier. 

Based of this selection, where do you think I'd rank Shang-Chi. Also, I really, really, like Dr. Strange because of the magical themes, but the content is just good. 

Shang-Chi is very middle of the pack Marvel. It does have one of the best fight scenes (the bus sequence) in any Marvel movie

shang-chi-3.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings posted a solid Thursday preview gross of $8.8 million, looking toward a Labor Day weekend record.

And looking like a pretty solid kickoff, particularly in Covid times.

22 minutes ago, Bacon said:

For me, Captain America 2, GOTG, and Infinity War are top tier marvel movies. Black Panther, Captain America 1, and Dr. Strange are middle of the road movies. Thor 1/2, Iron Man 3, and Age of Ultron are bottom tier. 

Based of this selection, where do you think I'd rank Shang-Chi. Also, I really, really, like Dr. Strange because of the magical themes, but the content is just good. 

I would put it close to Dr. Strange, which just about the middle of the pack for me. 

Tony Leung and Awkwafina are the two MVPS here. He's amazing and brings heaps of gravitas to a role that seems like they put some extra effort into making sympathetic. Huge get for them, and it pays off big time. She makes the tired comic relief of these movies work a lot better than expected. 

They butcher the fights. Other than Leung, it was the other major thing I was anticipating. Don't know why I got my hopes up.

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

middle, but its definitely a solid film, there is plenty to like about it

"‘Shang-Chi’ Rings Up $140M Global Bow – International Box Office – Deadline"

shang-chi-3.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Refresh for latest…: Disney/Marvel’s Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings outperformed expectations at the global and international box office this weekend, coming in with $56.2M oversea…

29 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Okay so between how WandaVision Falcon and The Winter Soldier, Loki, Shang-Chi, and Black Widow ended…

Did someone handle Disney a note that demanded greater representation of women in the MCU? This is a good thing, I’m just surprised it’s been so consistent. 

The cynical viewpoint would be Disney has the male audience hooked for the long haul and tapped out its growth, so they are switching their targets to maximize $$$.

59 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

The cynical viewpoint would be Disney has the male audience hooked for the long haul and tapped out its growth, so they are switching their targets to maximize $$$.

I'm completely okay with the revenue chase if it ends up with greater diversity in casting and cultural touchstones as inspiration.

15 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

That isn’t cynical, it is reality. And it is actually good as it means that major companies are taking the buying preferences of literally the majority of the world seriously for the first time in the 100+ year history of the industry. They are a business, they don’t need to be true believers in doing the right thing. Doing the right thing is what matters.

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That isn’t cynical, it is reality. And it is actually good as it means that major companies are taking the buying preferences of literally the majority of the world seriously for the first time in the 100+ year history of the industry. They are a business, they don’t need to be true believers in doing the right thing. Doing the right thing is what matters.

In other words, the "doesn't matter, had sex" rule of morality in capitalism.

So, after watching the movie.... I don't want to give it a rating necessarily because I watched it in spurts over the span of like 5 hours, but... I thought it kind of sucked. There was no character development at all. Not in anyone. We, the audience, uncovered depth within the characters, but not because the characters themselves changed, only because the plot demanded a reveal. It was like a cheap RPG plot.

I'm having a hard time justifying not thinking that it's straight up the worst MCU movie.

Spoiler

Expository backstory > Tries and fails to establish Shang-Chi as a charismatic protagonist > Bus fight (awesome) > Potential beef with estranged sister? Nope, not even a little bit, they're cool > Family time > YoU cAn'T SaVe HeR DaD" > escape > "hello, lost children, here's some new skills" > "DoN'T dO It DaD" > movie ends.

Nothing was earned in the story. At all. No one sacrificed anything that wasn't already explained through exposition. No one changed. Nothing changed. Shang-Chi is not a different person than he was at the start of the movie. It feels like an epilogue to a story that was far more interesting than what we got.

I don't know. Maybe I'll think differently about it when I actually sit down and watch it the way you're supposed to, but I honestly thought it kind of sucked.

Apparently a bunch of white men online are bent out of shape that the fighting in Shang-Chi is better than it was on Iron Fist. Who could have predicted that Finn Jones refusing to get trained properly would end up being the perfect metaphor for white entitlement IRL and for his character. 

Wow, this movie did a lot in its screentime.  And I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I couldn't help but think how great of an Airbender his mom was.

On 9/6/2021 at 12:04 PM, sblfilms said:

The major victory is breaking down the (artificial) barriers that keep people, males and females in this case, more distinct than they really are.  There shouldn't be separate sandboxes to play in  I'd counter to say major companies, and not just movie studios, have gone after women's buying power for years now. It's finally good to see Marvel do it.  So the what that is happening is good; the what being reality.  But the why still comes across as cynical to me.

I feel like the why mainly comes off as cynical when someone like me (white, male, straight) has had almost literally everything marketed at specifically me my entire life. Other than Barbie dolls and black haircare products I’ve spent my whole life as the target demo. 

The venn diagram of “me” and “target audience for blockbuster filmmaking” is just ever so slightly not a perfect circle anymore. It’s not like everyone making content “for me” was doing so earnestly. 

9 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I feel like the why mainly comes off as cynical when someone like me (white, male, straight) has had almost literally everything marketed at specifically me my entire life. Other than Barbie dolls and black haircare products I’ve spent my whole life as the target demo. 

The vent diagram of “me” and “target audience for blockbuster filmmaking” is just ever so slightly not a perfect circle anymore. It’s not like everyone making content “for me” was doing so earnestly. 

You know I think that you might be right. Systemic biases just blinded me to the cynical reality that "we" are just engines of consumption.

On 9/3/2021 at 5:17 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Really want to see this but not comfortable doing movie theaters just yet so I'm more than likely going to wait. If the theater near me hadn't shut down I probably would have went to a very early showing.

I may scout out an empty as fuck matinee for Spider-Man but yeah I definitely don't care enough about Shang-Chi to go to that level of effort to see it in a theater.

7 hours ago, Jason said:

I may scout out an empty as fuck matinee for Spider-Man but yeah I definitely don't care enough about Shang-Chi to go to that level of effort to see it in a theater.

I now care more about Shang-Chi than boring Spider-Man. Go to one of those theaters with the big reserved seats that create social distancing. (Alamo Drafthouse style)

Would love to see this, mush like Black Widow but wanna see it in 3D. I’m one of the diehards left I guess but more for the home experience. No 3D at any nearby theatres because of COVID it seems. Just hoping I won’t have to resort to importing an expensive 3D copy from Japan like I’m doing with Black Widow in October.

• Like 1