Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (03 September 2021) - Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Official Trailer!)

31 minutes ago, Komusha said:

Love seeing all of the actions scene that are in wide shots and clearly showing their full bodies. This is not just a movie featuring  kung fu, but a movie clearly influenced by kung fu cinema. Excellent direction to take this in.

Great point... Western filmmakers often get this wrong in action scenes particularly martial arts fight scenes where they often frame the action too closely and cut too much from an editing standpoint. Often this is done to cover up bad choreography and actors who aren't great screenfighters. They actually did their homework here... these fight scenes look damn good from the trailer.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Great point... Western filmmakers often get this wrong in action scenes particularly martial arts fight scenes where they often frame the action too closely and cut too much from an editing standpoint. Often this is done to cover up bad choreography and actors who aren't great screenfighters. They actually did their homework here... these fight scenes look damn good from the trailer.

11 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Even better when, given the context, he's supposed to be nearly as good a martial artist as Shang-Chi.

Exactly which is why that show never worked for me. Daredevil and Green Arrow came across as better fighters on screen than freaking Iron Fist who is supposed to be one of the best fighters in comics. I REALLY hope we get a doover with Iron Fist and Luke Cage. They both deserve better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Exactly which is why that show never worked for me. Daredevil and Green Arrow came across as better fighters on screen than freaking Iron Fist who is supposed to be one of the best fighters in comics. I REALLY hope we get a doover with Iron Fist and Luke Cage. They both deserve better.

Luke Cage season 1 was phenomenal...at least in regards to Mahershala Ali's Cottonmouth. He was such a good villain. I mean, Mike Colter was also a great Luke Cage. Actually, Iron Fist is the only weak villain here. Vincent D'Onofrio was brilliant in Daredevil, as was David Tenant in Jessica Jones. A lot of the weaknesses of Iron Fist and even latter seasons of Daredevil I'll be perfectly happy blaming Jeph Loeb over. I don't know how you decide to make either of those series less Asian. I mean, that has nothing to do with the awful choreography, but at least explains why the stories fell apart.

• Like 1

This talk reminds me of the video from Every Frame a Painting about American fight choreography and Jackie Chan

Since the Marvel movies are action comedies, and Jackie Chan is great at action comedy, it would be great if Marvel got Chan to star and/or direct one of the movies, maybe either the sequel to Shang-Chi or a reboot of Iron Fist with an actual Asian lead, and no Jeph Loeb to whitewash things. Doubt it would happen though since Jackie is a perfectionist, and would eat into the budget doing dozens of takes for one shot. 

12 minutes ago, Brick said:

This talk reminds me of the video from Every Frame a Painting about American fight choreography and Jackie Chan

Since the Marvel movies are action comedies, and Jackie Chan is great at action comedy, it would be great if Marvel got Chan to star and/or direct one of the movies, maybe either the sequel to Shang-Chi or a reboot of Iron Fist with an actual Asian lead, and no Jeph Loeb to whitewash things. Doubt it would happen though since Jackie is a perfectionist, and would eat into the budget doing dozens of takes for one shot. 

The fight scene in that screen grab with Benny the Jet is AMAZING.  Jackie's inspiration for his apporach to action was Buster Keaton, not Bruce Lee. He didn't want to be the second coming of Bruce Lee and went in the exact opposite direction with his fight scenes.

18 minutes ago, Brick said:

The initial pitch for Iron Fist that Loeb shot down was featured an Asian American lead, right? I'd be down for a Jackie Chan-lead reboot. Actually, he's be s great to head a Heroes for Hire movie.

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

The initial pitch for Iron Fist that Loeb shot down was featured an Asian American lead, right? I'd be down for a Jackie Chan-lead reboot. Actually, he's be s great to head a Heroes for Hire movie.

There were a bunch of pitches for Iron Fist... at one point he was gonna be an MMA fighter. They had no idea what to do with him. I have no problem with Iron Fist being white... he just needs to be able to fight.

4 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

You are indeed correct that they originally were going to use an Asian actor as Danny, but Loeb squashed that. He also showed up to Comic Con dressed in a karate gi. 

771668.jpg?v=0
WWW.CRACKED.COM

Sometimes the villains are off-camera.

12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

There were a bunch of pitches for Iron Fist... at one point he was gonna be an MMA fighter. They had no idea what to do with him. I have no problem with Iron Fist being white... he just needs to be able to fight.

I don't either. Hell, I think Finn Jones is probably capable enough for the role. 58yo Bob Odenkirk just pulled off bad ass with a gun that doesn't need one, so there's no reason Jones couldn't with the right choreography and time. A part of me assumes they were just short on time here. No way you get fight scenes like the one I posted above from the same studio that gave us those single take fights in Daredevil.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

I don't either. Hell, I think Finn Jones is probably capable enough for the role. 58yo Bob Odenkirk just pulled off bad ass with a gun that doesn't need one, so there's no reason Jones couldn't with the right choreography and time. A part of me assumes they were just short on time here. No way you get fight scenes like the one I posted above from the same studio that gave us those single take fights in Daredevil.

I believe Finn Jones and the production basically admitted he got basically no time to train or choreograph shit before they shot season 1. I believe the drunken master fighter in one of the episodes (Lewis Tan) auditioned for Iron Fist but they passed on him and gave him the one episode starring role (where he was fantastic).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Dear god no

Hes absolute shit stain of a human being.

1597839046307-0631183504470.jpeg?image-r
WWW.VICE.COM

One of Hong Kong's most famous exports has provoked the ire of the pro-democracy movement.

In 2009, Chan questioned the idea of a free press and said that Chinese control was a positive thing.

“I’m not sure if it’s good to have freedom or not,” he said at a conference in 2009. “I’m gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we’re not being controlled, we’ll just do what we want.”

Screen-Shot-2018-12-03-at-1.44.28-PM.png
WWW.INDIEWIRE.COM

As the uprising enters its 10th week, top celebs native to the former British colony take controversial stances.

In an interview with Chinese state broadcaster CCTV, Chan said (via Variety) it is “heartbreaking and worrying for many” to witness the gripping violence of the mass unrest, and that he supported the state TV’s campaign to protect the national flag “desecrated” by protesters. Specifically, Chan was referring to an incident in which pro-democracy protesters had thrown the flag of the People’s Republic of China into the sea.

“On one hand, I needed to express my most basic patriotism as a Hong Kong citizen and a Chinese,” Chan said. “I am also one of the flag guards. On the other hand, I hoped to express our collective voice through participating in such a campaign.”

how-jackie-chan-became-the-most-hated-ma
WWW.BUZZFEEDNEWS.COM

"I've never met anyone so eager to give Beijing a rimjob." On Chinese social media, Jackie Chan is persona non grata.

6 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I believe Finn Jones and the production basically admitted he got basically no time to train or choreograph shit before they shot season 1. I believe the drunken master fighter in one of the episodes (Lewis Tan) auditioned for Iron Fist but they passed on him and gave him the one episode starring role (where he was fantastic).

Finn-Jones-as-Danny-Rand-in-Iron-Fist-1.
SCREENRANT.COM

In Marvel's latest show, where martial...

Being bad was inevitable. It wasn't Finn's fault.

5 hours ago, Iculus said:
Finn-Jones-as-Danny-Rand-in-Iron-Fist-1.
SCREENRANT.COM

In Marvel's latest show, where martial...

Being bad was inevitable. It wasn't Finn's fault.

That's the thing. If you don't have the time to train someone up to be martial arts master believable, then cast sometime that's somewhat proficient in martial arts. I'll place the blame, again, on Loeb here. He likely didn't like Tan for the role even though Tan would have been better for the role given their time constraints. I'm sure Finn could have been good if he was given the chance, but there was never any time in the schedule to make it happen. Making matters worse is Loeb's dislike for Asian-inspired storylines and there being too many Asian characters which likely added to the series' dysfunction. I mean, even if the fights were good, the series still sucks. 

What's the status with the Netflix shows/characters? Does Disney have the rights to them? Are the Netflix shows considered MCU canon?

I remember that whole series starting out with so much promise... but they just ran out of steam. All of the shows started feeling too similar and all of them had so much filler. They had 13 episode seasons when they really all should have been like 6-8 episodes. They recycled so many story beats over and over.

I watched them all up to a point and then just ran out of interest. I think I only have Jessica Jones Season 3 and Punisher Season 2 left to go, but I have zero interest in continuing...

11 minutes ago, ort said:

I watched them all up to a point and then just ran out of interest. I think I only have Jessica Jones Season 3 and Punisher Season 2 left to go, but I have zero interest in continuing...

Disney has the rights back for the Netflix shows. Rumor is that Daredevil, Jessica Jones and The Punisher will keep the same actors but be "rebooted softly" into the main MCU even thought the Netflix series supoosedly took place in the same universe. Luke Cage and Iron fist will more than likely be completely rebooted and recast. That's the rumor anyway.

It's interesting you mentioned the number of episodes. My buddy who worked on Jessica Jones said the same thing when he was working on the series... too many episodes without enough story to support them.

Problem with the Netflix shows was that they really didn't feel connected to the MCU. Sure they referenced the movies here and there, but barely, and the movies never mentioned the shows. Now with Disney+, and them having full control they can make them feel more connected. I wouldn't mind if they said, "nah, retcon, that stuff never happened, but we'll keep the same actors since everyone likes them". Even if it means we need to hear about Daredevil's origin again, so be it. I do wonder what the tone will be like. With Netflix it seemed like their way of doing darker, more mature shows, but will they do that again with Disney+? Would they put an age restriction on them? We know with Deadpool the MCU is willing to go R rated. 

As long as it can lead to Vincent D'Onofrio's Kingpin interacting with Spider-Man. 

5 hours ago, ort said:

Hmmm... well, I thought Luke Cage was one of the better Netflix shows and I thought Mike Colter was great as Luke Cage...

Great Cage.

I'm actually still working my way through the series, as I lost steam over the summer when I finally got Netflix. Been working them in order, just recently finished IronFist 2, Daredevil 3, and only have a few episodes left in Punisher...and then on the JJ3. I think they've all been somewhat decent. I didn't hate the Iron fist like some have, didn't even mind the casting. I can't believe it but the Punisher has been my least favorite. And I must say I was surprised how much I enjoyed JJ and am looking forward to the 3rd season. As mentioned above the series don't really seem to integrate well with the MCU films/D+ series, but for the most part I think the actors they picked were all solid and wouldn't mind them reprising their roles for D+ or the MCU. As for them being darker, yeah that's true, but we did just see Cap 2.0 bloody the shield which seemed rather dark for D+. Punisher would definitely be a hard one to do on D+

The Netflix shows leaned too hard into being "mature" and it had the opposite effect. It made the shows feel juvenile. Most of the violence didn't really serve the story, it was just there for shock value. I think they would have been better if they toned it down a lot. Most of the violence felt out of place and gratuitous. Like it was just there because it could be.

And this is coming from a guy who loves over the top violence... there's just a time and place for it, and it wasn't in these shows. (Well, maybe okay for the Punisher)

Well, Punisher was oppressively over the top violent and gross, but it should be.

I remember a scene with Jessica Jones retrieving a severed head from the water that was way grosser than it needed to be and a scene in Iron Fist where a character had to remove all of the teeth from a dead body and it had fuckall to do with anything, it was just in there and over-the-top.

I think I've forgotten so much of these shows. I know there was more. It's not like these were slasher movies, but they were more violent than they needed to be.