Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (03 September 2021) - Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Official Trailer!)

27 minutes ago, ort said:

We're back to avoiding theaters... which is super annoying because I sure would enjoy some fluffy marvel movie entertainment with my kids right about now...

I guarantee you can find a nearly empty auditorium at a theater on a random Wednesday

3 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Forbes is saying they can't sell brown people for the same price regardless of quality.. we aren't a fucking commodity corporate America. Diversity isn't a product. 

Everything and everyone is a commodity, and diversity is absolutely a product to be sold :p 

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Everything and everyone is a commodity, and diversity is absolutely a product to be sold :p 

The article implies that it's a "an issue" or "a limit" that all brown people and women aren't the same "value" regardless of the quality of the film or product. As if only white people could achieve a range of quality worth pricing against. 

It's like, yeah. Shit white movies don't sell either, where's the article on the limits of whiteness?

11 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

The article implies that it's a "an issue" or "a limit" that all brown people and women aren't the same "value" regardless of the quality of the film or product. As if only white people could achieve a range of quality worth pricing against. 

It's like, yeah. Shit white movies don't sell either, where's the article on the limits of whiteness?

Editor’s Note: The original version of this story has been edited. The headline and story synopsis have been changed to more objectively reflect the issues raised by the author.

The article is all over the place and seems to both-sides the argument.  

10 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

The article is all over the place and seems to both-sides the argument.  

I'm not gonna re-read the thing to see how it's changed, but the subtitle update bit is like yeah no shit, this applies to white movies too. 

Hollywood wants to make movies that look more like its audiences. Success lies with the execution.

Shit movies don't sell, news at 11!

I had fun with it but the first 30 minutes to me were marketably better than the last 30. Wish they kept the action smaller like in the beginning and focused more on the insane stunt work than the CGI spectacle. Hope the success of this means we’ll more eastern influenced action in Hollywood. More of this please.

Kept hearing about the bus fight and it was really that good. And insane that it literally happens within the first 20 minutes.

12 hours ago, Komusha said:

I had fun with it but the first 30 minutes to me were marketably better than the last 30. Wish they kept the action smaller like in the beginning and focused more on the insane stunt work than the CGI spectacle. Hope the success of this means we’ll more eastern influenced action in Hollywood. More of this please.

Kept hearing about the bus fight and it was really that good. And insane that it literally happens within the first 20 minutes.

That's funny I didn't like the bus scene and I liked the movie better as it went on. 

• 1 month later...

watched this since it’s on disney plus now. 

thought it was fine. the fight scenes were good especially more at the beginning (bus fight might be the best fight in the whole mcu) but all the other stuff felt lacking. especially the last conflict. giant cgi fest. 

I found it aggressively mediocre.  Of the main cast, Katy was dripping with Charisma -- and almost eveyone else was boring.  [Ben Kingsley was incredible too, for his relatively short screen time.]

The rest made it a slightly-less interesting than average Marvel character -- and one that I had never heard of (so made it even less interesting).

Worth watching, but not worth making a special effort to see.

I just saw this as well, and I thought it was pretty solid. Nothing amazing, but well done. The ten rings action sequences were pretty baller, and of course the bus fight in the beginning is epic. I really enjoyed the first 2/3's but when they get to Ta Lo as usual like many MCU movies the entire thing really deflates in the last 3rd. I enjoyed it, but nothing ground breaking at all. 

Just watched it too. Really enjoyed it. Katy was great but I really liked Simu Liu's performance as Shang-Chi as well. And seeing Michelle Yeoh kick some more ass never hurts (the viewer that is).

Special effects got really video gamey in some places though. But the fights had me sitting up in my seat and I call that a good sign.