Game Informer now offering a direct subscription option outside of GameStop's reward program ($20 for 10 issues/$35 for 20 issues)

WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

We need your support; less than $2 per print issue in your mailbox, and it’s the number one way to keep this 30+ year organization going strong into the future.

We love gaming magazines, and we're hoping if you're here, you do too. But ours can only survive with support from you. For $19.91 (the year of GI's founding), our new standalone magazine subscription program sends a full year of 10 issues to your doorstep, filled with exclusive cover stories, in-depth interviews with game creators, long-form features and retrospectives, previews of what's coming next in the gaming hobby, reviews of the most compelling games, and more.

GJnB0_LWIAAe_IF?format=jpg&name=small

Now, speaking of GameStop:

WWW.IGN.COM

U.S. video game retailer GameStop has confirmed job cuts amid what analysts have called an “unsustainable” sales decline.

U.S. video game retailer GameStop has announced job cuts amid what one analyst called an “unsustainable” sales decline.

GameStop’s fourth quarter saw $1.794 billion in sales, compared to $2.226 billion in the prior year’s fourth quarter. Net income was $63.1 million for the fourth quarter, compared to net income of $48.2 million for the prior year’s fourth quarter. For the fiscal year 2023, sales were $5.273 billion compared to $5.927 billion for fiscal year 2022. Net income was $6.7 million compared to a net loss of $313.1 million for fiscal year 2022.

While net income improved for the fiscal year, the dramatic sales decline is worrying analysts. Reuters reported on comments from Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter, who said:

"An increasing mix of digital downloads is hurting physical retail, and there is simply no reason to go to the store if a consumer can just order a game and download it immediately.

"Revenues are highly unlikely to rebound unless management figures out a way to drive store traffic. I suspect that they will keep trimming costs to generate breakeven or better, but it is inevitable that their sales will decline to an unsustainable level.”

• Sad 2

I'm very tempted.  I like books and magazines.  Sure I can digital everything, but there's something about the tactile feeling of turning a page or closing a book when you finish it that you don't get from reading on a screen.  I love my Kindle, but finishing a physical book is somehow far more satisfying than reaching the last page on a device.  I can't explain it.

Plus magazines give you something to read on the shitter when your phone battery is low.

• Like 1
  • Sicko 1

8 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

Awesome, I definitely plan to pick up a copy next time I take a trip to the mall while listening to music on my Walkman and stop by the local Blockbuster. 

Man those were the days 

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Horse and Buggies

Cable Television

Print Newspapers and Magazines

Video Games on Optical Media

Telephones on a Landline

VCRs

Busy Signals

Dot Matrix Printers

What do all of these things have in common?

Things that I actually still own/use!

• Sicko Sherman 1

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Not ALL of them!

Just cable TV, print newspapers and magazines, and a landline telephone.

Oh No Reaction GIF by WWE
I was pretty sure you didn’t have a horse and buggy or a dot matrix printer. 
I got rid of my landline last year, when both my boys got cell phones. 
I technically have “cable TV”, but that’s because it was $25 cheaper a month to get internet and TV, than internet alone. 

5 minutes ago, Biggie said:

But why a landline when you have a smart phone?

The Woman actually insists we keep a landline in case the power is out/our phone batteries are dead and there's an emergency and we need to call 911.  Yes, we have a landline in the incredibly unlikely scenario that a multi-day power outage has resulted in dead batteries for every cell phone for every person living in my house followed by a 911-required emergency after the last battery has hit 0%. :silly:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Biggie said:

But why a landline when you have a smart phone?

For this reason!

2 minutes ago, Slug said:

The Woman actually insists we keep a landline in case the power is out/our phone batteries are dead and there's an emergency and we need to call 911.  Yes, we have a landline in the incredibly unlikely scenario that a multi-day power outage has resulted in dead batteries for every cell phone for every person living in my house followed by a 911-required emergency after the last battery has hit 0%. :silly:

1 hour ago, Slug said:

You see why I’m not married. 

Spoiler

Okay that’s not the reason but it sounds better than the truth. 

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

This was my first thought. My second thought: “Do I really need more mail that I’ll just throw away without reading?”

Yeah probably I won't devote a ton of attention to it (I barely read my other current subscriptions :blush:) but figured it might be good for an hour or two altogether. For the cost of a couple coffees out, that's not bad. 

4 hours ago, Slug said:

Has her portable battery charger also run out in this scenario?

Heck you can pick up a hand crank powered charger with a flashlight too on Amazon for $40.

6 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Has her portable battery charger also run out in this scenario?

Heck you can pick up a hand crank powered charger with a flashlight too on Amazon for $40.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Wouldn't matter because then it would be "well what if no bars or a cell tower outage?!".  It's her weird logic.

As another example, rarely we would get a babysitter when my kids were very young so we could treat ourselves to a break/night out.   We live right outside of Philadelphia, on the Jersey side of the river.  She refused to ever go anywhere in the city with me because "what if the bridges all go out and we're both stuck on the other side and can't get back to the kids in case of an emergency?"  She'd let me take her over an hour+ away from home, still In NJ, but wouldn't go the whopping 2 miles into Philly with me because what if bridges.

She just gets these potential scenarios in her head and has to hedge against them.  I've learned not to argue. :)

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Slug said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Wouldn't matter because then it would be "well what if no bars or a cell tower outage?!".  It's her weird logic.

As another example, rarely we would get a babysitter when my kids were very young so we could treat ourselves to a break/night out.   We live right outside of Philadelphia, on the Jersey side of the river.  She refused to ever go anywhere in the city with me because "what if the bridges all go out and we're both stuck on the other side and can't get back to the kids in case of an emergency?"  She'd let me take her over an hour+ away from home, still In NJ, but wouldn't go the whopping 2 miles into Philly with me because what if bridges.

She just gets these potential scenarios in her head and has to hedge against them.  I've learned not to argue. :)

But what if the bridges work, the phone works but no one answers the call because aliens abducted the babysitter and kids while you were out? What happens in that scenario? 🤔

12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

But what if the bridges work, the phone works but no one answers the call because aliens abducted the babysitter and kids while you were out? What happens in that scenario? 🤔

Panic Omg GIF

14 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I signed my son up for a year kind of as a joke :lol: A few months ago my kids(10 and 12yr old) didn’t even understand GameStop. They asked why would you have to come to the mall to buy a game?

Did you tell him we didn't go to the mall to buy a game, we went to check out the chicks. Then went the chicks weren't looking we ducked into Babbage's/EB real quick.

I would actually bite one this, but the problem is that I literally never check my mailbox. Even as I'm sitting here writing this I'm trying to remember the last time we checked the mail. I can't imagine how much shit I have crammed in there right now. I was very broke for a long time, so going to check the mail meant literally digging through bills and late payment notices and all this other shit, and I don't have to worry about any of that now but going to check the mailbox is like PTSD and it still stresses me the fuck out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Did you tell him we didn't go to the mall to buy a game, we went to check out the chicks. Then went the chicks weren't looking we ducked into Babbage's/EB real quick.

I went to go to the Arcade and Woolworths. There were no chicks around.

It seems too cheap.

I know, that sounds weird. But to me, the only way for physical media to compete with online media which has several content delivery advantages is to lean really hard into of the aspects of physical media that cannot be replicated in software. Make the physical object a high-quality piece of art that you want in itself rather than just for the content it delivers since it cannot compete on the content delivery. If the price is cheap, that suggests you're going to get cheap quality media at which point why bother?