Game Informer now offering a direct subscription option outside of GameStop's reward program ($20 for 10 issues/$35 for 20 issues)

Yeah, that price is off. Would make me leery... Printing and mailing a magazine alone costs way more what they are charging. There is no way they are making it back with ads and then also paying a staff of writers and designers? It just doesn't ad up.

That said, I do miss the age of magazines. I remember as a kid knowing when the new EGm was supposed to arrive and waiting by the mailbox for it to arrive.... and how annoying it was when it didn't... a very different era. It's kind of crazy to think about how slowly information travelled back then compared to now.

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I mentioned this in the past in a different thread but I had a subscription to Elle magazine though Amazon it was a year's worth for $10. That was back in 2014, so this subscription for game informer is high compared to that.

@legend

It doesn't matter if this price is "high" relative to other low quality items if it's still too cheap to make sufficiently high quality physical artifacts.

Let me try and put this another way: if all you try and do is replicate the quality of physical media that already lost to online media, you're going to lose, because we already know that lost. You're going to have to do something really special that only physical can do if you hope to succeed.

5 minutes ago, legend said:

It doesn't matter if this price is "high" relative to other low quality items if it's still too cheap to make sufficiently high quality physical artifacts.

Let me try and put this another way: if all you try and do is replicate the quality of physical media that already lost to online media, you're going to lose, because we already know that lost. You're going to have to do something really special that only physical can do if you hope to succeed.

It's a magazine man.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's a magazine man.

That attitude is precisely why I'm skeptical things will work better this time! Don't be so small minded! Or go ahead, and suffer the same fate we've seen over and over.

9 hours ago, legend said:

That attitude is precisely why I'm skeptical things will work better this time! Don't be so small minded! Or go ahead, and suffer the same fate we've seen over and over.

I don't know what you're getting at but I have a handful of magazines lying around from the late '90s early '00s and they are just like they were brand new. You don't have to do anything special to magazines to prolong their life, they're a magazine, they last a long time.

• True 1

40 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't know what you're getting at but I have a handful of magazines lying around from the late '90s early '00s and they are just like they were brand new. You don't have to do anything special to magazines to prolong their life, they're a magazine, they last a long time.

I'm not talking about making the magazine last a long time, I'm talking about increasing the quality, art, etc. so that it has inherent value in itself and not just as a medium to deliver content. As an analogy, consider going from a basic paper book to a hardcover with fore edge painting

image_foredge_open_520.jpg

Whereas I (and most people) don't care all that much about a paper back, that kind of book is much more valuable because it has inherent artistic value that you can't get from a paperback or e-book.

I'm not saying a gaming magazine needs to go that far, but I think if they want a chance at being successful they need to go beyond what gaming magazines have been and make a strong case with value you can only get from a physical medium.

• 4 weeks later...