Bernie Sanders pushes bill to establish a four-day workweek

My work would just change how overtime would be paid out for exempt employees. We'd work our 32 and would only get our overtime after working the 40th hour. The workload wouldn't be decreased and we as an industry can't hire ourselves out of that hole. So we'd just still be doing 40+ work weeks and getting paid for 40 before OT kicked in, if it did at all. 

This is great and I want it to happen. But there are sectors of the economy that will sidestep this with very little effort. 

• True 1

We did this at my last company (Software), it worked out well for our scale & remote setup. To make it work you have to do more than just saying you now only work 4 days (Like cut down on meetings) but as long as everybody puts in the effort it can work.

• Like 1
  • Hype 1

41 minutes ago, Brian said:

I’d be cool working 4 10 hour days. 3 day weekends are sooooooooo good

This is what I switched to last summer. It’s quietly life changing. You can spend a whole day doing absolutely nothing and not feel like you’ve completely wasted your weekend. 

• Hype 2

When I worked for Pepsi I had the last pick of the work schedules. When I got full-time,  I could would work 5 days 8hrs a week or 4days at 10hrs. I took the 4 and was the best thing I ever did. Especially great during my office days when I was dealing with my wrist injury and couldn’t service in the stores.

How would this interact for salaried employees? Are you supposed to get overtime as a salaried employee if you work more than 40 hours per week now? Because, uh, that doesn't happen :p Or would this be introducing new regulations about overtime for salaried employees as well?

(Not that I expect this to push though, just curious)

3 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Yes please. Also make it illegal to have more than 4 hours of different meetings with the same people. 

Counterpoint: I'm sure it's a pleasure and privilege to be in meetings all day with me :p 

1 minute ago, legend said:

How would this interact for salaried employees? Are you supposed to get overtime as a salaried employee if you work more than 40 hours per week now? Because, uh, that doesn't happen :p Or would this be introducing new regulations about overtime for salaried employees as well?

Counterpoint: I'm sure it's a pleasure and privilege to be in meetings all day with me :p 

See my post from 3 hours ago.

• Halal 1

33 minutes ago, legend said:

Not when you still have to deliver 8 hours of work after spending 4+ hours a day explaining what work you're delivering and how it would be more helpful to not be in the meeting 

• Hugs 1

16 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Not when you still have to deliver 8 hours of work after spending 4+ hours a day explaining what work you're delivering and how it would be more helpful to not be in the meeting 

Haha yeah I understand. Not uncommonly you may hear me shouting into the void "All I do is make slides and go to meetings!"

(I work from home so I can get away with shouting)