Update (02/26): Switch Sequel targeting March 2025 launch to avoid hardware shortages, may further slip depending on hardware/software availability

SaysWho?

UNIVERSONINTENDO.COM

Nintendo pode permitir que jogos sejam melhorados em seu novo sistema

This information was shared by  PH Brazil during the most recent episode of the podcast for the  Pokémon franchise as traditionally happens every year.

PH Brazil  is currently a content creator and also a games journalist who has already brought a lot of information about Nintendo's or partners' movements in advance and with precision in the past. Taking its history into account, there is a high chance that this information will become fact when the console is announced.

Awaited as a potential 2024 release by Nintendo, the next system could come with the encouraging news that it will feature this physical (in cartridges) and digital backward compatibility not only available to players and producers — but would also allow developers to study improvements for the current titles in the Nintendo Switch library.

• Haha 1

I wonder if Nintendo would go hardware lock or software lock on Switch 2 games inserted into a Switch. By hardware lock, I mean what they did with the 3DS where there was that small extra tab of plastic to keep them from being physically inserted into a DS. It's either that or go with GBC route and just cough up an error message when you try to load up the game on older hardware.

12 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I wonder if Nintendo would go hardware lock or software lock on Switch 2 games inserted into a Switch. By hardware lock, I mean what they did with the 3DS where there was that small extra tab of plastic to keep them from being physically inserted into a DS. It's either that or go with GBC route and just cough up an error message when you try to load up the game on older hardware.

I'd be willing to bet on a hardware lock.

46 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

From what I’ve heard 1080p likely and maybe some upscaling shit to make it closer to 4k at least when docked. 

Then that's completely fine with me! Even though I'm a graphics whore I always appreciate Nintendo's charm that they bring. These games on Switch 2 will look beautiful. 

42 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Then that's completely fine with me! Even though I'm a graphics whore I always appreciate Nintendo's charm that they bring. These games on Switch 2 will look beautiful. 

Yeah the switch has certainly pushed even Nintendo’s efficient use of power to its limits it seems tho. Even launch BOTW taxed the switch to the point where it had some noticeable performance issues, which is really unusual for Nintendo in general let alone for the first game it puts out on its new machine. I am not expecting much of a leap to be honest, but if Nintendo can put out quality software as well as continue to run some of the indie style games well, I will buy one. I’m not gonna go launch model though unless they have something crazy good. I have a hunch it’s gonna be the next 3D Mario and maybe, MAYBE Prime 4. And I dunno, I don’t think those are gonna do it for me at launch. Especially when an oled model will pry come down the pipe. 

My launch game predictions:

• Mario Kart 9 - they haven't made a new one since the Wii U, and MK8 is the best selling Switch title of all time. This one is a no brainer IMO.
  • Mario Odyssey 2/new Mario 3D Platformer - First Odyssey came out a few months after the initial Switch launch. I'm betting we see the same with the Switch 2.
  • Way more 3rd party AA/AAA support - You're about to see every 3rd Party PS4 game that couldn't run on the Switch 1, now release on the Switch 2. 

Everyone that is putting Prime 4 on your predictions lists, stop letting Nintendo disappoint you. 

It's weird to me that people are surprised that the Switch 2 will be backward compatible (not necessarily here, but in general :p ). The Wii was BC with GCN (until the slim units), WiiU was BC with Wii, and lots of their handhelds had BC. I know Switch wasn't BC but that had a lot to do with the physical media type change, though I guess maybe they should've made digital purchases BC? :shrug:

2 hours ago, AshsToAshs said:

My launch game predictions:

• Mario Kart 9 - they haven't made a new one since the Wii U, and MK8 is the best selling Switch title of all time. This one is a no brainer IMO.
  • Mario Odyssey 2/new Mario 3D Platformer - First Odyssey came out a few months after the initial Switch launch. I'm betting we see the same with the Switch 2.
  • Way more 3rd party AA/AAA support - You're about to see every 3rd Party PS4 game that couldn't run on the Switch 1, now release on the Switch 2. 

Everyone that is putting Prime 4 on your predictions lists, stop letting Nintendo disappoint you. 

I could see Mario Kart but honestly I don’t think they’ll release one. I don’t really have a great reason it just seems like put everything they had into 8 and unless they have some great new idea for it I just think it’s gonna be a while. 

I know it came out a long time after, but it reminds me of smash ultimate (a game I own but ended up barely playing now that I think about it). Like they did about all they could with the game and dare I say almost the series. It would be weird to release a new one. 

My only worry is the marketing.

One of the main reasons the Wii U was a failure was because people just thought that the game pad was an accessory for the Wii.

Hopefully we get something other than “more powerful Switch” because I don’t see that being a selling point to the average consumer. 

And then there’s the name: Switch 2? Super Nintendo Switch?

27 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

My only worry is the marketing.

One of the main reasons the Wii U was a failure was because people just thought that the game pad was an accessory for the Wii.

Hopefully we get something other than “more powerful Switch” because I don’t see that being a selling point to the average consumer. 

And then there’s the name: Switch 2? Super Nintendo Switch?

I disagree. Switch 2 or super switch would sell gangbusters. This thing has reached the level of like a gameboy style device. It’ll sell. 

The Wii was a one off. The people who bought one weren’t looking for the next one. The demo that bought a switch will absolutely buy a more powerful switch. 

• True 1

14 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I disagree. Switch 2 or super switch would sell gangbusters. This thing has reached the level of like a gameboy style device. It’ll sell. 

The Wii was a one off. The people who bought one weren’t looking for the next one. The demo that bought a switch will absolutely buy a more powerful switch. 

I honestly think they should name it Nintendo Switch 2. It's clear marketing and explains its the next console.