Update (02/26): Switch Sequel targeting March 2025 launch to avoid hardware shortages, may further slip depending on hardware/software availability

SaysWho?

18 hours ago, AshsToAshs said:

My launch game predictions:

• Mario Kart 9 - they haven't made a new one since the Wii U, and MK8 is the best selling Switch title of all time. This one is a no brainer IMO.
  • Mario Odyssey 2/new Mario 3D Platformer - First Odyssey came out a few months after the initial Switch launch. I'm betting we see the same with the Switch 2.
  • Way more 3rd party AA/AAA support - You're about to see every 3rd Party PS4 game that couldn't run on the Switch 1, now release on the Switch 2. 

Everyone that is putting Prime 4 on your predictions lists, stop letting Nintendo disappoint you. 

Nintendo kinda fucked themselves with a potential Mario Kart 9 though. It would have to be pretty damn amazing to get players away from their 50+ tracks in MK8.

14 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Nintendo kinda fucked themselves with a potential Mario Kart 9 though. It would have to be pretty damn amazing to get players away from their 50+ tracks in MK8.

Keep the tracks with Nintendo online, have 32 new ones and then some DLC as well. I’d imagine there would be full migration.

23 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think they will likely just call it Switch 2. Super Switch would also be fine. If it's Super Nintendo Switch then there could be some confusion. Same with Switch+, etc.

SwitchCubeU

37 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

My guess would be we will see the switch successor (assuming it is indeed essentially the same form factor) be portable at 1080P and 1440P while docked. 4K is unlikely. 

Assuming it has DLSS and Frame Gen I don't think 4k (@ DLSS Performance) is out of the question. 

14 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Assuming it has DLSS and Frame Gen I don't think 4k (@ DLSS Performance) is out of the question. 

Not out of the question, but unlikely. Then again this is Nintendo, so they don't care if some of their games FPS dip into the 20s. 

5 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Nah, MK9 could have like 10% of the tracks of MK8, but as long as it has one more unique character people will go nuts for it.

And then Nintendo will get to charge for all those tracks again :)

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

My post was in regards to 4k

Ok then.  My bad.

Nintendo is going to produce cheap hardware targeting a ~1080p/30 handheld screen.  Potentially slightly better when docked.  DLSS doesn't do great at those resolutions/frame rates.

They've never shown any inclinations to push any boundaries on tech, they would prefer to focus on affordability and game design -- and many of their games aren't the kind that need high frame rates.

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Ok then.  My bad.

Nintendo is going to produce cheap hardware targeting a ~1080p/30 handheld screen.  Potentially slightly better when docked.  DLSS doesn't do great at those resolutions/frame rates.

They've never shown any inclinations to push any boundaries on tech, they would prefer to focus on affordability and game design -- and many of their games aren't the kind that need high frame rates.

The performance difference between 1080p native and 4k DLSS Performance is about 10%.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The performance difference between 1080p native and 4k DLSS Performance is about 10%.

My impression from everything I've read is that performance delta is on a game by game basis and can be as much as 50%. 

6 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

My impression from everything I've read is that performance delta is on a game by game basis and can be as much as 50%. 

I’m not sure where you saw that, but the avg is roughly 10% (less with 1440p/4k DLSS Quality).

Compare with:

19 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Ok then.  My bad.

It does a lot better than FSR1 or 2 on the Deck, which people seem to be fine with.  Bump the base resolution high enough and a DLSS generated 1080p can look better than native 1080p in some games.

This thing might surprise with its mobile tech just because Nvidia wants to show off and advertise their tech even if Nintendo themselves were like whatever.

But who knows! I am sure of one thing though. The first pokemon game for it is going to run internally at 240p upscaled to 720p using dlss2 and run internally at 10fps to achieve 20fps using frame gen.

Edit: But look like a ps3 game!

• True 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

This thing might surprise with its mobile tech just because Nvidia wants to show off and advertise their tech even if Nintendo themselves were like whatever.

But who knows! I am sure of one thing though. The first pokemon game for it is going to run internally at 240p upscaled to 720p using dlss2 and run internally at 10fps to achieve 20fps using frame gen.

Wow, you think Gamefreak can render at 240p? When did they get so advanced?

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Wow, you think Gamefreak can render at 240p? When did they get so advanced?

Because frame gen helped them achieve that 20fps target!

We seriously will see some ridiculous internal resolutions and frame rates from some devs using dlss3 though. There is no way someone doesn’t try to port some demanding  ps5 game and use dlss3 at absolutely ridiculous internal res/frame rate and I can’t wait to see it.

Just now, stepee said:

Because frame gen helped them achieve that 20fps target!

We seriously will see some ridiculous internal resolutions and frame rates from some devs using dlss3 though. There is no way someone doesn’t try to port some demanding  ps5 game and use dlss3 at absolutely ridiculous internal res/fos and I can’t wait to see it.

I eagerly await the next Mortal Kombat at 720p output with DLSS Ultra Performance enabled 

• Haha 1

Just now, Spork3245 said:

I eagerly await the next Mortal Kombat at 720p output with DLSS Ultra Performance enabled 

lmao I was literally just thinking of Mortal Kombat doing this but it’ll probably have to be MK2 for that - I think MK1 will be easy for Switch 2 if they do it.

@AbsolutSurgen  Saw that Hardware Unboxed did a video on DLSS at 1080p lately:

Slightly different take than Digital Foundry's in the past.  They don't think the trade-off is always worth it, as it can further blur detail in motion in a way that isn't apparent at reconstructed higher resolutions.  Still, there are games like Ratchet where DLSS can take the crown. (which is particularly promising since its closest to Nintendo's aesthetic)

And it's still a ~36% uplift in FPS.  Some of these differences are splitting hairs compared to the FSR2 fizzle we see in a lot of PS5/SeriesX games at higher reconstructed resolutions.  Even on the TV it could look fine, although a reconstructed 1440p would be preferable when possible.

Portable?  It’s going to be harder to notice.

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

A report that claims Nintendo Switch 2 is now set to launch in Q1 2025 is spreading online. Brazilian games journalist …

A report that claims Nintendo Switch 2 is now set to launch in Q1 2025 is spreading online.

Brazilian games journalist Pedro Henrique Lutti Lippe stated Nintendo was now looking to launch its next console in early 2025, though still within the current financial year.

Eurogamer has heard similar whispers from industry sources this week, though has not been able to concretely substantiate them. Nintendo Switch 2 had previously been widely tipped to arrive later this year. But a move to the other side of Christmas into early 2025 would mean more time now for the console's launch line-up to be readied, while keeping its launch within the next financial calendar.

WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

New report suggests Nintendo’s next console could arrive later than…

Nintendo’s next console could launch later than expected, in early 2025, it’s claimed.

That’s according to Brazilian journalist Pedro Henrique Lutti Lippe, who claims in a new OX do Controle video that he received the information from five separate sources.

According to the sources, they are also working on games targeting Q1 2025, to launch alongside the console itself, which has internally slipped out of a previous 2024 target.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Universal Nintendo: Switch 2 will feature physical/digital backwards capability, devs have access to enhance Switch 1 games, update (02/16) - multiple sources claim release has slipped to 1Q 2025
4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

More time for the launch lineup? The Switch has been out for 7 fuckin years. 

That "Slow burn" Philosophy is still alive and kicking at Nintendo! they rule their home market and enjoy Disney like status in gaming, all while maintaining a tech level that makes their overhead lower than anyone else in the game. Nintendo can launch when they feel like it. 

I mean it's not much of a delay but my point was they've had plenty of time to work on launch titles. Not sure what a month or two would even do. I understand Nintendo can and does whatever they want. It's not a big deal for me it's delayed a bit. 

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

I mean it's not much of a delay but my point was they've had plenty of time to work on launch titles. Not sure what a month or two would even do. I understand Nintendo can and does whatever they want. It's not a big deal for me it's delayed a bit. 

You will take your Pokemon Chartreuse & Vermillion, and you will like that it runs at 16 FPS!  :p

• True 1