Awards Season 2024 - From Nolan's Peloton class to the Golden Globes

It's that time of year when Hollywood gets to look around and marvel at their own greatness.

Oppenheimer has been doing well in early awards, but the drama around Christopher Nolan's NYFCC acceptance speech took on a life of it's own. In the speech Nolan is reflecting on the inescapable nature of modern film criticism when he recalls taking a Peloton class during which the instructor ruthlessly bashed one of his movies. Shortly after the speech people online were able to find the video and identify the instructor. The instructor has since apologized and had that apology acknowledged by Nolan.

Last night was the Golden Globes, the first telecast since the HFPA was disbanded. The awards are now chosen by a group of 300 journalists from 76 countries, and the rights to the Globes are owned by Dick Clark Productions and Eldridge Industries. It's kind of hard to know what to think of the reborn Globes, but starting out a new era by introducing an award for "Cinematic and Box Office Achievement" is pretty silly if you ask me.

Here's the full winners list

The opening monologue by host Jo Koy didn't go particularly well, and he quickly threw his writers under the bus when he didn't get laughs. I didn't watch much of the broadcast so I can't comment on how it went, but Deadline (which shares an owner with the new Globes) seems to think it was a return to being “Hollywood’s party of the year," while Vanity Fair seems to think it was a complete disaster.

Regardless, I personally have very few bones to pick with their choices. Succession and Oppenheimer were the nights' big winners, and I was happy to see Emma Stone and Poor Things pick up a couple awards. Also nice to see Lily Gladstone and The Boy and The Heron win an award.

The only Award that really raises any question from me is Ricky Gervais winning for the second new category of Best Performance in Stand-Up Comedy on Television. I can't argue too much since I haven't seen the new special, but I also haven't heard a single positive word about it.

Anyways, for anyone that does follow Awards season at all, it's certainly looking good for Nolan and company.

• Thanks 1

The two new categories were eye-roll inducing, but the rest of the award picks were extremely solid. The show itself was a disaster. I gave up after about 45 minutes. 

The new organization might give the Globes more credibility in the long run, but they’ve gotta really step it up when it comes to the show itself. 

12 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

He bombed really badly. 

I had only seen that he was trending for some Taylor Swift joke, then I read this article

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

The standup comedian and actor has spoken out about his unpopular performance, calling it ‘an off night’

This was the joke

As you know, we came on after a football double-header,” he said. “The big difference between the Golden Globes and the NFL? On the Golden Globes, we have fewer camera shots of Taylor Swift, I swear.

That's not even a bad joke, that's funny. Taylor Swift isn't even the target of that joke but mention her name and she's off limits somehow.

Honestly Jo Koy is at his best doing Asian humor so obviously the problem here are there are too many uptight white people in Hollywood. Hire some more Asian people and that crowd is roffling

Also I reject the notion of "throwing the writers under the bus" as distasteful. That was funny too. Plus why defend the writers if you don't even know who they are. Ben Shapiro could have written that Barbie joke, are you going to defend that guy for a bad joke?

In any case it doesn't matter, who watches the Golden Globes anyway? If anything this was a good thing for that Awards show. :p

12 hours ago, TheLeon said:

The two new categories were eye-roll inducing, but the rest of the award picks were extremely solid. The show itself was a disaster. I gave up after about 45 minutes. 

The new organization might give the Globes more credibility in the long run, but they’ve gotta really step it up when it comes to the show itself. 

And still no award for stunts.

• True 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I had only seen that he was trending for some Taylor Swift joke, then I read this article

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

The standup comedian and actor has spoken out about his unpopular performance, calling it ‘an off night’

This was the joke

That's not even a bad joke, that's funny. Taylor Swift isn't even the target of that joke but mention her name and she's off limits somehow.

Honestly Jo Koy is at his best doing Asian humor so obviously the problem here are there are too many uptight white people in Hollywood. Hire some more Asian people and that crowd is roffling

Also I reject the notion of "throwing the writers under the bus" as distasteful. That was funny too. Plus why defend the writers if you don't even know who they are. Ben Shapiro could have written that Barbie joke, are you going to defend that guy for a bad joke?

In any case it doesn't matter, who watches the Golden Globes anyway? If anything this was a good thing for that Awards show. :p

you’re not allowed to make jokes about taylor swift. she can write about whoever in her songs but make a harmless joke about her and the nfl? fuckin daggers come out 

• True 1

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

This was the joke

You should watch it

It was bad 

• Wrong 1

Jo Koy has never been funny IMHO. Even when on the dias alongside Chealsea Handler on E! back in the day, I wanted to slap this guy. The moment they announced he was the host I legit said aloud "Who's dick he suck for the clout?" because that's the only viable way I can see him getting such a ... "prestigious" isn't remotely the right word, but let's just say a "high profile gig".

Anyways, enough on him. I tuned in & in of the show, seemed fine enough I suppose but also I feel a little over award shows as a whole. Glad to see stand-up comedy FINALLY gain better recognition, and while I enjoyed Ricky's special, I feel as though there were others that had come out earlier in the year that were far & away, much better. Again though, comedy is subjective, so there's that.

Still have yet to watch anything Succession related, so meh whatever on that. Nice to see Oppenheimer do so well & it makes me look forward to RDJ's acceptance speech for Best Supporting Actor.

• 2 weeks later...

Oscar Nominations are in!

America Ferrera getting nominated for Barbie but not Margot Robbie or Greta Gerwig is… something. 

Jodie Foster and Annette Benning nominated for a movie that you can’t prove to me is real. 

France is kicking themselves for not submitting Anatomy of a Fall for International Feature. 

The only BP nominee I haven’t seen yet is The Zone of Interest because it hasn’t expanded wide enough yet. It’s an incredibly solid lineup. Congrats to Oppenheimer! 

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

13 nominations for Oppenheimer, hot damn.

Now let's see if it nets Nolan the best director/best picture awards for a first time (which he should have won for TDK).

He’s basically a lock for Director at this point, and current front runner for Picture. He also has a good shot at Adapted Screenplay. 

I really need to watch Anatomy of a Fall.

I'm rooting for Oppenheimer. Nolan deserves to have a Best Pic and a Best Director statue and Oppenheimer is as deserving as any chance to give those to him. I'd also be happy to see Yorgos win for Poor Things. A surprise to see Past Lives show up in this category. Not that it's undeserving, but still a surprise.

I'm very surprised that Margot didn't get a nomination for Actress given who else in the film did. I felt like either the Academy decides that Barbie doesn't deserve acting nominations or Margot is at the top of the list. The movie doesn't work without her. I'm even more surprised that Greta Gerwig didn't get a directing nom. Easy choice over Zone of Interest for my money.

Lead Actor is a really stacked category without a wrong choice. I didn't realize at all that Bradley Cooper doesn't have an Oscar. I would have guessed off the top of my head that he had at least two. Slate has a great piece on Paul Giamatti being the best Actor to never have been nominated for best Actor, which functions as both a reminder that he should have one and that the Holdovers is as deserving a performance as he's given. I absolutely loved American Fiction and Jeffery Wright in it. Colman Domingo delivers exactly the kind of biopic recreation that the Academy often loves to reward (though he's competing with Cooper for that turf). I do kind of feel like of them, this might be Cillian Murphy's only real chance to win and Oppenheimer's other successes may well lift him here. Certainly not a bad pick in the lot. A bit surprised not to see Leo in the mix given how much the Academy liked Flower Moon, but again, the category is just stacked this year.

Supporting actor is an interesting mix of actors and roles, from the colorful and wacky worlds of Barbie and Poor things, to the dour Killers of the Flower Moon and colorless RDJ in Oppie. Again, not really a bad pick in the mix.

Actress should have been a three way between Lily Gladstone, Emma Stone, and Margot Robbie, but for my money now it's down to two (again, haven't seen Fall).

I'm expecting Da'Vine Joy Randolph to easily walk away with supporting Actress.

Kinda bummed Turtles didn't get a Animated Film nod, though I'm not sure if I'm rooting for Spider-Verse or Boy and the Heron. I enjoyed Spider-Verse more, but you could never give Miyazaki enough awards to credit him for his career.

I was surprised to see Godzilla Minus One up for visual effects. I think if you grade on a cost curve, it'd be an easy winner over second place Creator, but if you're not I don't think it's quite seamless all the way through. Still, all the credit in the world to that team for making that movie.

Interestingly Netflix comes out of this as the distributor with the most nominations, though I think it's going to be another year where they walk away with little to show for it.

• Halal 1

Nothing for Saltburn, at the very least not a nomination for Barry Keoghan who I thought gave a very good, and in some ways brave, performance, seems like a bit of a snub. That movie was twisted in all the best ways, and sticks with you. 

5 hours ago, Brick said:

Nothing for Saltburn, at the very least not a nomination for Barry Keoghan who I thought gave a very good, and in some ways brave, performance, seems like a bit of a snub. That movie was twisted in all the best ways, and sticks with you. 

i liked saltburn but that is not an oscar movie lmao 

america ferrera is one of the weakest performances to be nominated in a while. gotta be a combo of a weaker field for supporting actress this year and the politicking. 

robbie and gerwig still got nominations for best picture and screenplay respectively, so im not too upset. they’ve added a lot of academy members in the last 5 or so years, and that means more members worldwide. one of the international directors likely pushed gerwig out. best actress is stacked. i hated maestro so id kick mulligan out and put robbie in. and i would DEFINITELY kick cooper out for efron. 

I’ve only even heard of 3 of the best picture nominations. I’ve seen 1. 

And Jo Koy sucks. The Taylor Swift joke was whatever, her reaction was funnier than the joke. Her fans are just crazy so who cares. But that Barbie joke….dude sucks. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 1:59 AM, johnny said:

i liked saltburn but that is not an oscar movie lmao 

Not even Best Actor for Barry Keoghan? I'd say that was a pretty brave performance, especially when the grave scene was apparently improvised by him. 

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Am I the only loser watching the Oscars? The dog from Anatomy of a Fall is in the audience, so it’s a great night. 

I was wondering why there was a good boi in the audience. I missed that part, obviously. 

I should have gone to bed already cause I work early tomorrow. Happy to see Wes Anderson win his first Oscar for Henry Sugar short, but wasn’t present. Kinda staying up to see Gosling perform, and support the semi local talent.  

oh and congrats to Godzilla Minus One for its win for SFX. Love their Godzilla statuettes they all had.