Awards Season 2024 - From Nolan's Peloton class to the Golden Globes

18 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

only caught the last few minutes. WTF was up with Pacino just announcing the winner without listing the nominations? Also glad to hear Godzilla won. 

like every year they bring out some old mfer to stumble through the best picture reveal

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, johnny said:

emma stone absolutely crushed it in poor things. feel bad for lily but imo, they picked the right person to win. 

I was rooting for Gladstone (and it would’ve been nice for Killers to win 1), but yeah, can’t be mad at that pick. 

7 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

only caught the last few minutes. WTF was up with Pacino just announcing the winner without listing the nominations? Also glad to hear Godzilla won. 

They did that with best Song too. I think it’s because each film nominated was featured throughout the show(each song was performed) so that stood in for reading off 10 names. 

It was weird how he just blurted it out though. 

The Boy and the Heron is a great choice obviously but man did I really really want Nimona to win. 

Ryan Gosling stole the night. The performance of Ken was incredible and his back and forth with Emily Blunt was easily the funniest banter. Runner up to John Mulanney 😂

• Halal 1

Not a lot of surprises and a pretty meh show overall, not that I expected much from Jimmy. I enjoyed the Mulaney bit, Cena coming out naked was a good laugh, but it's hard to deny that "I'm Just Ken" was the highlight of the show.

I expected Lily Gladstone to win, but I think Emma Stone was a more deserving. Very happy for Nolan to win Picture and Director. He's great for cinema and Oppenheimer is as deserving a winner as any. I personally would have given the trophy to Spider-Verse, but the first one did win and I think there's a good chance at them winning with the next entry (though I didn't realize it was a different directing team). I just can't feel bad about Miyazaki winning, even if Boy and the Heron isn't my favorite of his.

I have never really grasped the metric that Visual Effects is judged on. I loved Godzilla Minus One, and the effects they were able to achieve with that budget are astounding. I can't feel bad about them winning an award, but they were not the most impressive of the year.

Also, it's BS that the Academy did a little clip show about stunt guys and how they risk their lives and how essential their work is in the same show where they bring up that the first new category in 20 years is "achievement in casting." I think casting is extremely important, and it might be a round about way for blockbusters to get some credit for their amazing casts. I can just imagine the casting director getting an Oscar for Iron Man while the performance goes unrecognized. Still, stunt guys should have been at the top of the list if they're adding categories. Not only that, but they should retroactively give out awards. Back up a dump truck of overdue statues for Buster Keaton and Jackie Chan and Tom Cruise, and all the guys whose names we don't know.

• Halal 2

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

Also, it's BS that the Academy did a little clip show about stunt guys and how they risk their lives and how essential their work is in the same show where they bring up that the first new category in 20 years is "achievement in casting." I think casting is extremely important, and it might be a round about way for blockbusters to get some credit for their amazing casts. I can just imagine the casting director getting an Oscar for Iron Man while the performance goes unrecognized. Still, stunt guys should have been at the top of the list if they're adding categories. Not only that, but they should retroactively give out awards. Back up a dump truck of overdue statues for Buster Keaton and Jackie Chan and Tom Cruise, and all the guys whose names we don't know.

I’ve been saying this for fucking years and they need one choreography. I wouldn’t that being split in 2 parts but would love to see it for fight/dance. Look at I’m Just Ken there and what they did in the movie. Then you have dance numbers with the slight new revival of musicals in mainstream movies again, but they can also be random funny shit moments in a comedy like Barbie. Plus you are seeing a lot more intense fights on screen like The Raid, Winter Soldier, IP Man, Kingsman and more. These people deserves their respect too, along with stunt people since they already risk their lives for a moment of movie magic. 

• Like 1

Spielberg giving out the Oscar for Best Director felt like a deliberate move especially since it was Nolan winning. It was like a passing of the torch moment.

That said, I would have loved for John Williams to get one last Oscar for Indy.