Getting an OLED is life changing

Chris-

@Brian

@stepee

@Nokra

Got the SC90 today and oh my God, absolutely life changing. Going from a ten year old plasma to a washed out Vizio Gallevia to this is nothing short of mind blowing. And the 120 refresh rate is insane - playing Diablo IV was buttery smooth. The sound quality is also pretty decent - while playing D4 it showed off some pretty impressive surround sound for built-ins (naturally I'm now looking at sound bars as well, because I'm feeling particularly slutty). 

• Hugs 2
  • Hype 4

It’s just one of those things that actually isn’t overhyped at all. It’s just such an enormous improvement. The only thing I’ve seen even close is Micro LED with local dimming but even then it’s simply not the same and not close as much as good enough for now. Hopefully with the 5000 series laptops they will be ready with 14” oled displays and then Switch 2 oled will come out and I’ll never have to look at another display again.

Its just not just the picture quality but the latency and smoothness of motion as well.

17 minutes ago, stepee said:

Samsung doesn’t support DV period, not sure what their hangup is

They back HDR 10+ which was their answer to DV, but hardly anyone uses. Mom has a 55” OLED in the living room, and yeah it’s a lovely screen. Wish I spent ten little extra for OLED over my LCD I bought 3 years ago. It’s a Sony tv with Dolby Vision but I miss the inkiness in the blacks, that get washed out on my screen.

The only thing I can't stand with those fuckers is when they come with frame interpolation or whatever it's called by default and then make it a bitch to turn off.

Like, if the thing I'm watching was filmed in 24fps, don't fucking play it back in 120. It just makes everything look floaty and weird.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

The only thing I can't stand with those fuckers is when they come with frame interpolation or whatever it's called by default and then make it a bitch to turn off.

Like, if the thing I'm watching was filmed in 24fps, don't fucking play it back in 120. It just makes everything look floaty and weird.

I had to adjust my Moms tv when I was over instantly - that shit JUMPS at me

• Halal 1

10 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

That was the very first thing I adjusted lol. Right now I'm just sticking to Filmmaker Mode because it's apparently the most accurate and I don't want to play around with the granular settings yet.

Just a note regarding soundbars - depending on your living situation, be careful getting into that if you are thinking you’ll get wireless rear speakers. Just had a nightmare of an experience because I figured I’d move from using the sound on my G2 (which is surprisingly good and even does fake atmos!) to real surround sound with a soundbar. 

I went with the Bose soundbar 600 and the regular bose wireless speakers. I liked the size and the look and it had the features I wanted and figured that Bose should be decent. I didn’t however realize they used bluetooth to connect the wireless speakers, which seems like a bad idea to me. But I think most of these things do.

I just could not get them to connect. I did everything from their site and everything so could find online and spent like all day yesterday and this morning trying to no avail. Sometimes they would connect for a couple minutes but then lose the connection. I moved all my wireless stuff to my bedroom just to test even though that wouldn’t be practical long term and it still didn’t help. I live in an apartment so my neighbors are likely interfering as well.

Apparently they use the 40mhz 2.4 channel and changing that is the one thing they recommended I couldn’t try as I have an xfinity 6e modem and they don’t let you change it to 20mhz. And even if I did bother getting my own modem (tho i’m happy with this one) we only have xfinity really as an option here, so all my neighbors are blasting it anyway.

I called bose support and explained the situation and it was the first time a company really was just like yeah it’s not going to work for you so return it all. Oof. 

So yeah, that’s what I did, it’s all returned now and I got my money back. I’m just going to keep using the G2’s good enough audio and if I really want surround sound I had also just received those playstation pulse explorer earbuds to use just for gaming so I’ll use those.

Then when I move after my lease expires in April I’ll get a nice real ass wired system. Completely turned off on soundbars with wireless speakers for the foreseeable future. 

13 hours ago, stepee said:

Just a note regarding soundbars - depending on your living situation, be careful getting into that if you are thinking you’ll get wireless rear speakers. Just had a nightmare of an experience because I figured I’d move from using the sound on my G2 (which is surprisingly good and even does fake atmos!) to real surround sound with a soundbar. 

I went with the Bose soundbar 600 and the regular bose wireless speakers. I liked the size and the look and it had the features I wanted and figured that Bose should be decent. I didn’t however realize they used bluetooth to connect the wireless speakers, which seems like a bad idea to me. But I think most of these things do.

I just could not get them to connect. I did everything from their site and everything so could find online and spent like all day yesterday and this morning trying to no avail. Sometimes they would connect for a couple minutes but then lose the connection. I moved all my wireless stuff to my bedroom just to test even though that wouldn’t be practical long term and it still didn’t help. I live in an apartment so my neighbors are likely interfering as well.

Apparently they use the 40mhz 2.4 channel and changing that is the one thing they recommended I couldn’t try as I have an xfinity 6e modem and they don’t let you change it to 20mhz. And even if I did bother getting my own modem (tho i’m happy with this one) we only have xfinity really as an option here, so all my neighbors are blasting it anyway.

I called bose support and explained the situation and it was the first time a company really was just like yeah it’s not going to work for you so return it all. Oof. 

So yeah, that’s what I did, it’s all returned now and I got my money back. I’m just going to keep using the G2’s good enough audio and if I really want surround sound I had also just received those playstation pulse explorer earbuds to use just for gaming so I’ll use those.

Then when I move after my lease expires in April I’ll get a nice real ass wired system. Completely turned off on soundbars with wireless speakers for the foreseeable future. 

Blah, yeah that sounds annoying. I hadn't heard about that being all that common of an issue with Bluetooth surrounds; I appreciate you posting that.

FWIW if you want something in the meantime and are OK with wired rear surrounds, I bought this for my older cheaper Samsung 4K TV but it has been working great with my LG G3; I've been very happy with it. It's not super fancy but it has surprisingly good sound,  Dolby Atmos, DTS, etc. and didn't break the bank.

4 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Blah, yeah that sounds annoying. I hadn't heard about that being all that common of an issue with Bluetooth surrounds; I appreciate you posting that.

FWIW if you want something in the meantime and are OK with wired rear surrounds, I bought this for my older cheaper Samsung 4K TV but it has been working great with my LG G3; I've been very happy with it. It's not super fancy but it has surprisingly good sound,  Dolby Atmos, DTS, etc. and didn't break the bank.

At this point I think I’ll stick to the playstation explorer if I want more dynamic sound and just wait, it would be silly to buy something to use it for just 6 months. Well, I did that with my ipad as I wait for the oled ones, but I figured that is easy to pass down. But thanks! 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

I don't plan on fucking around with surrounds, it's hard enough to pinpoint a good bar + subwoofer combo given the absolutely insane price differentials. Is a $400 combo 40% worse than a $1,000 combo? Who knows!

Agreed. Stores like Best Buy will have them set up for you to try out, but IMO it's still hard to tell... their acoustics are different than your home, the settings may be tweaked because of stupid customers doing dumb things, etc, not to mention that whatever media they have going on them may or may not be optimal for testing. I went with the soundbar I did just because it had a lot of positive reviews and all of the features I was looking for (again, Atmos, DTS, etc.)

But yeah, even in ideal conditions, I don't know that my ears can detect the difference between my $300 setup and a $1000 setup. On the other hand, on the visual side, I was very nervous about whether I had unnecessarily gone nuts with my $3000 LG G3, and I've been super happy with it and am continually impressed. 

Maybe the trick is to wait for a friend to get the expensive shit and you can try it out. :p