The Game Awards' "2023 Game of the Year" nominees have been revealed

Commissar SFLUFAN

6 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Pretty good list. My vote probably goes to TotK, but it's not easy.

TOTK and BG3 are the clear front runners, but I could see a scenario where they don't actually steal away most GOTYs.  It's never been easier to champion an underdog.

Maybe that's also a reason why BG3 wins.  It was an underdog until it wasn't.

21 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Spider-Man 2 should have been bumped for a handful of other games. Armored Core, Lies of P, Future Redeemed, etc.

Did you play it?

As great as Future Redeemed is, its probably not GOTY material.  Systems, characters, combat, plot connections and series payoff are fantastic.  But the enviornments are the least expansive in the series, and some of the linear bits really aren't great.  It's a step up from Torna since they didn't recycle places from the main game, but still.  Also the side quests.  They're all pretty bog standard and inconsequential, as opposed to the Hero quests in XB3 proper.

It's a wonderful little game though, no doubt.  More open world games need to steal from it.  But none will, because game developers don't have time to make it through the entire series.

8 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

It’s TOTK and it’s not even close. 

I’m still cracking up at the replies on Twitter whining about FFXVI getting robbed. Quite possibly the most boring game I’ve ever played. 

Naa, it's absolutely close with BG3 in the running and I even lean BG3. But both are generational games that happened to come out in the same year.

37 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

It’s TOTK and it’s not even close. 

I’m still cracking up at the replies on Twitter whining about FFXVI getting robbed. Quite possibly the most boring game I’ve ever played. 

If TOTK beats BGIII, expect a spam riot!!

But seriously, BGIII is better in just about every way imaginable. I know that's just my opinion but it's still the right opinion.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Spider-Man 2 should have been bumped for a handful of other games. Armored Core, Lies of P, Future Redeemed, etc.

I think Spider-Man 2 easily deserves to be up there. If there is one I would bump off it would be easily be RE4. I never loved RE4 as much as most, but even if you do it's still a remake, which should probably be its own category.

1 hour ago, nublood said:

Definitely not TotK for me. Game just felt like glorIfied DLC.

I can see the complaint, but really, roughly 1/3 of your time in TOTK is spent exploring things you've seen in BoTW.  That's not to say there's no faults with the new content either.  But I haven't played any expansion DLC to a game that added so much.  I've yet to play Spider-Man 2, but I'd question why a similar criticism isn't being leveraged against it (containing the same location a 3rd time) if ToTK's redundancies are supposedly overkill.

There's things ToTK could have still done better to midigiate the been-there-done-that feel.  The battery system is far too limiting, especially in the early game, but even in the late game.  All grounded vehicles should have taken much less charge to run, and vehicular weapons should deal more damage.  Having your vehicle die after 100 yards and not kill anything but grunts totally dampened my desire to build something cool.  I'd rather be horseback, which is a shame.

On the positive, they took away the guardians.  That takes away a huge would-be pain point about exploring the map again.  The thing they put in as a replacement is cool, and not as frequent of an issue to deal with.

• Halal 1

16 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Destiny 2 for community award? lol after what we’ve learned over the last few weeks?? I mean it’s not Time Magazine making Hitler their person of the year, but Bungie’s already been exposed. :lol: 

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Bungie's social and community staff were hit especially hard in recent...

• Halal 1

Man, Lies of P is gonna get robbed. But like, how you gonna put it in best RPG? I mean, it has stats but that shit is an action-adventure game. And the best ROLE Playing Video Game this year HAS to go to BG3. Like, it's even nuts that FF16 was in best RPG when it is just a longer-than-usual action-adventure game.

I want LoP to get awards, but I didn't even vote for it in best RPG. That would just be a lie.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Destiny 2 for community award? lol after what we’ve learned over the last few weeks?? I mean it’s not Time Magazine making Hitler their person of the year, but Bungie’s already been exposed. :lol: 

I would have to think these nominations were ready weeks in advance, so it's very unfortunate timing, but now it should be probably be disqualified. 

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I've completed my voting!

:dab:

How many times did you vote for BG3? The only time I didn't vote for it was when Ben Starr was up against Neil Newborn. Astarion is great, fantastic, but I thought Clive was just a step above and that is partly because he is the player character. Out of all the awards, I hope Ben Starr wins that one, but Neil winning won't be a letdown.