Gaza/Israel Update (04/02): Israeli airstrike kills foreign workers of World Central Kitchen (Chef José Andrés food aid charity)

WWW.CNN.COM

At least 20 people have died due to malnutrition and dehydration since the war began in Gaza, including a 15-year-old boy who was declared dead at the Al-Shifa medical complex on Wednesday, the Palestinian Ministry of Health in Gaza said. 
WWW.CNN.COM

Anwar Abdul Nabi perches on the edge of a bed at the Kamal Adwan Hospital in northern Gaza. Her eyes are sunken with grief.

Things were plenty grim already, but it seems like there's a shift happening from "general warnings about food insecurity" to "actual deaths directly attributable to starvation" happening

• Sad 2

Two separate UN reports allege the use of sexual torture by "both sides":

WWW.BBC.COM

The UN also found "reasonable grounds to believe" rapes took place during Hamas's 7 October attack.

A UN team says there is "convincing information" that hostages held in Gaza have been subjected to sexual violence including rape and sexualised torture.

There were grounds to suspect the abuse was still ongoing, the UN said.

The UN team also found "reasonable grounds to believe" sexual violence, including gang rape, took place when Hamas attacked Israel on 7 October.

Israel's foreign ministry said it welcomed the "definitive recognition that Hamas committed sexual crimes".

The UN Security Council should now designate Hamas as a terrorist organisation and impose international sanctions on it, spokesman Lior Haiat said.

Hamas rejected the UN report as "baseless and only aimed at demonising the Palestinian resistance".

The group denies its gunmen sexually assaulted women during the attacks or mistreated female hostages they took to Gaza.

Pramila Patten, the UN's Special Representative on Sexual Violence in Conflict, said her team had "found clear and convincing information that sexual violence, including rape, sexualised torture, cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment" had been committed against hostages.

There were "reasonable grounds" to believe such violence could be "ongoing against those still held in captivity", she told reporters.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Internal analysis by UNRWA, based on interviews with released Palestinians, describes dog attacks and the prolonged use of stress positions

An internal UN report describes widespread abuse of Palestinian detainees in Israeli detention centres, including beatings, dog attacks, the prolonged use of stress positions and sexual assault.

The report was compiled by the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine (UNRWA) and is largely based on interviews of Palestinian detainees released at the Kerem Shalom crossing point since December, when UNRWA staff were present to provide humanitarian support.

The report, which has been circulated within the UN and seen by the Guardian, says that just over 1,000 detainees have been released since December. But it estimates that more than 4,000 men, women and children have been rounded up in Gaza since the start of the current conflict, triggered by Hamas raids into southern Israel on 7 October which killed about 1,200 Israelis, mostly civilians.

Israel denies the abuse allegations, which it described as Hamas-inspired propaganda. It has named 12 UNRWA staff it claims took part in the 7 October attack, and claims that 450 of the agency’s 13,000 workers in Gaza are members of Hamas or other militant groups.

The allegations, which are being studied by two separate UN inquiries, have so far not been substantiated. The UNRWA report says that its employees have been detained, many while carrying out aid work, subjected to abuse, and put under pressure to smear the agency.

17 hours ago, johnny said:

israel and the united states are fucking pathetic pieces of shits 

You forgot Hamas.

Let's not be coy here--there is no belligerent party in this conflict that is not being shitty.  Israel has no self-restraint, the US is enabling them, and Hamas is trying to maximize the casualty count for recruiting purposes. (after having provoked Israel in the first place with their own murderous rampage)

I really wish the US would just wash its hands of the whole damn conflict and leave the region to self-fund its fruitless genocidal circular firing squad, but, ya know, geopolitics and the MIC... 

• Halal 1

In the last week or so we've seen multiple "new" articles with headlines like... EVIDENCE OF SEXUAL VIOLENCE and then they go on to say stuff like... "a few individuals conducting interviews of Israelis talked to a few people who pinky swear that they saw victims with their pants down" None of these new reports or findings actually have any new information at all, they are just being presented to us as if they do.

Hamas super duper sucks. I'm sure there was some horrible sexual violence to go along with the "regular" horrible violence... but why are we still talking about this half a year later like it changes anything. Is the addition of rape supposed to justify this response? Is 1,200 dead and a few rapes really that much worse than just 1,200 dead?

I mean, I know the answer, I'm just thinking out loud, but it's annoying to me.

• Halal 1

29 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

You forgot Hamas.

Let's not be coy here--there is no belligerent party in this conflict that is not being shitty.  Israel has no self-restraint, the US is enabling them, and Hamas is trying to maximize the casualty count for recruiting purposes. (after having provoked Israel in the first place with their own murderous rampage)

I really wish the US would just wash its hands of the whole damn conflict and leave the region to self-fund its fruitless genocidal circular firing squad, but, ya know, geopolitics and the MIC... 

lmfao, congrats, even though you don’t support what’s happening you are cool with it. “damn this is terrible but ALSO hamas” 

no shit Hamas sucks. i’m a little more concerned about the country that’s committing genocide and the country i live in supporting them 

3 hours ago, johnny said:

lmfao, congrats, even though you don’t support what’s happening you are cool with it. “damn this is terrible but ALSO hamas” 

no shit Hamas sucks. i’m a little more concerned about the country that’s committing genocide and the country i live in supporting them 

Not so much cool with it as resigned to the fact that there’s nothing we can really do about it at this point, except probably make it worse.

Regardless, I would argue that you’re perhaps overlooking a key dynamic here, which is that Hamas is an accomplice to the IDF in this genocide.  They and Bibi (and various other enabling parties, like the U.S.) are interconnected parts of the same genocidal system.  The genocide ends when the system gets reformed, and fundamentally both Hamas and the Israeli political and military establishment must play an equal part in that.   

I just don’t think blaming one head on the hydra more than another for the hydra’s depredations is the right way to think about the beast’s behavior.  But I realize it’s not the most popular take.

7 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Not so much cool with it as resigned to the fact that there’s nothing we can really do about it at this point, except probably make it worse.

Regardless, I would argue that you’re perhaps overlooking a key dynamic here, which is that Hamas is an accomplice to the IDF in this genocide.  They and Bibi (and various other enabling parties, like the U.S.) are interconnected parts of the same genocidal system.  The genocide ends when the system gets reformed, and fundamentally both Hamas and the Israeli political and military establishment must play an equal part in that.   

I just don’t think blaming one head on the hydra more than another for the hydra’s depredations is the right way to think about the beast’s behavior.  But I realize it’s not the most popular take.

yeah i blame the head that’s actively bombing the fuck out of innocent people  

8 minutes ago, johnny said:

yeah i blame the head that’s actively bombing the fuck out of innocent people  

And not the side that's been actively trying to bomb the fuck out of innocent people before during and after October 7? 

What I find super frustrating about this whole conflict is that the cease fire now crowd isn't pushing for a long term solution be discussed. As soon as a cease fire happens everyone is going to stop caring and will just be setting the stage to do this all over again in a few years. The cynic in me can't help but wonder if this is deliberate since the long term auto pilot trajectory of the conflict is on the Palestinian's side (generational shift in opposition to Israel, Palestinian demographics, etc) with the ultimate goal being to hit the undo button on 1948. At which point are we just sacrificing yet another generation of Palestinians to one day maybe Palestine? 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Jwheel86 said:

And not the side that's been actively trying to bomb the fuck out of innocent people before during and after October 7? 

What I find super frustrating about this whole conflict is that the cease fire now crowd isn't pushing for a long term solution be discussed. As soon as a cease fire happens everyone is going to stop caring and will just be setting the stage to do this all over again in a few years. The cynic in me can't help but wonder if this is deliberate since the long term auto pilot trajectory of the conflict is on the Palestinian's side (generational shift in opposition to Israel, Palestinian demographics, etc) with the ultimate goal being to hit the undo button on 1948. At which point are we just sacrificing yet another generation of Palestinians to one day maybe Palestine? 

LMAOOOOOO 

in what way is the trajectory of the conflict on palestines side lmao. like be fucking serious 

also let’s remember all the terrible shit that has happened to palestinians before this. you don’t get to just drop in there that bad things happened to israel. this is an incredibly messy situation but what’s crystal clear is that israel IS committing genocide here. 

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Is it though

1 hour ago, johnny said:

LMAOOOOOO 

in what way is the trajectory of the conflict on palestines side lmao. like be fucking serious 

also let’s remember all the terrible shit that has happened to palestinians before this. you don’t get to just drop in there that bad things happened to israel. this is an incredibly messy situation but what’s crystal clear is that israel IS committing genocide here. 

If the status quo continues the only logistical end is the One State Solution that's either an apartheid state with no international support or gives full Israeli citizenship (which results in a Arab majority and the end of the Jewish State). Look at the birth rates, the Palestinians aren't leaving no matter how bad conditions get. The Israelis don't have a solution because they're idiots and can't see past their nationalist delusions. 

Be serious yourself, where is this thing in 10 years?

The entire Palestinian theory of victory has been make the world hate Israel, that's working. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

If the status quo continues the only logistical end is the One State Solution that's either an apartheid state with no international support or gives full Israeli citizenship (which results in a Arab majority and the end of the Jewish State). Look at the birth rates, the Palestinians aren't leaving no matter how bad conditions get. The Israelis don't have a solution because they're idiots and can't see past their nationalist delusions. 

The entire Palestinian theory of victory has been make the world hate Israel, that's working. 

This, every dead Palestinian builds support for them and the context is lost. Which is what I was worried was going to happen, Hamas played the hand right and Israel fell into the trap which was obvious what was going to happen because Bibi is a pos. Hamas provoked an over response and now my nieces and nephews will suffer because of it. 

1 hour ago, Jwheel86 said:

israel is committing genocide and the united states is supporting them. 10 years from now? what about right now? tens of thousands are being bombed out of existence. i’m not going to pretend i have the solution for the next 50 years. i’m talking about RIGHT NOW 

4 minutes ago, johnny said:

i’m talking about RIGHT NOW 

75 years of just focusing on 'right now' is how we got here. 

2005 movie clip taking place in the 1970s that's still completely accurate in 2024, and will be in 10 years. 

• Like 1

75 years of just focusing on 'right now' is how we got here. 

2005 movie clip taking place in the 1970s that's still completely accurate in 2024, and will be in 10 years. 

American liberals use this to virtue signal dude, it’s not worth the effort.

they like Jews when they’re victims, not when they fight back. 

• True 1

11 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

Where’s this no international support? There’s always going to be a China, Russia, KSA, etc who care less than nothing about Palestinians and all about what Israel, a rich country with a modern economy and a large (&modern!) defense industry for export, can bring to the table. This isn’t the international community that pressured South Africa decades ago. And the support from the U.S. (such that it is) drying up because of the younger generations is the same supposition that the demographic destiny of the U.S. will tend to favor democrats, and which there may be some truth to it, it is not destiny and assumes the right will simply give up power. 

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

President to make announcement in State of the Union speech while senior US official says ‘We are not waiting on the Israelis’

The U.S. military has “unique capabilities” that allow it to construct a port or causeway without having to send forces to Gaza’s shores, said one of the officials. “We’re not planning for this to be an operation that would require U.S. boots on the ground,” said a second one. 

How the hell do you build a port with troops to build it and provide security? 

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

President to make announcement in State of the Union speech while senior US official says ‘We are not waiting on the Israelis’

So what's the plan for the supplies to not just pile up at the port when Israel refuses to distribute any of it? 

17 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

You know what would be better? Actually pressuring Israel to allow aid trucks to pass through and withholding aid and weapon shipments until they do. Actually putting more and more political pressure on a government that is already deeply unpopular with their population. 

But, nah. Let’s do everything except that and try every rule in the book to continue to send weapons and aid while bypassing Congress. 

29 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

So what's the plan for the supplies to not just pile up at the port when Israel refuses to distribute any of it? 

Mercen...I mean contractors.

2 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Probably with a barge like the ones sitting off of Normandie even today! 

I can see the port in Israel now... One dock with a big sign that says "DELIVER BOMBS HERE" and another that says "DELIVER HUMANITARIAN AID HERE".

We're a one stop shop for all your wartime needs.