Gaza/Israel Update (04/02): Israeli airstrike kills foreign workers of World Central Kitchen (Chef José Andrés food aid charity)

56 minutes ago, Subzwari1987 said:

Yeah, and I’m sure this will happen under Biden as well

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/wrapup-blinken-uae-saudi-israel-monday-seeking-avert-wider-middle-east-war-2024-01-07/

WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Hundreds of thousands of Gazans who fled bombardment in the north fear a resumption of Israeli airstrikes after the fighting pause ends.

https://www.reuters.com/world/political-pressure-builds-biden-strike-iran-after-us-deaths-2024-01-29/

The killing of three U.S. troops and wounding of dozens more on Sunday by Iran-backed militants is piling political pressure on President Joe Biden to deal a blow directly against Iran, a move he's been reluctant to do out of fear of igniting a broader war.

Biden's response options could range anywhere from targeting Iranian forces outside to even inside Iran, or opting for a more cautious retaliatory attack solely against the Iran-backed militants responsible, experts say.

5 hours ago, CayceG said:

I don't like how this is framed as "the US screwed up" when it is more accurately described as the enemy cleverly following our own drone in to the target as a way of avoiding our defenses. 

They’re trying to prevent a war with Iran which is seeming less likely every day. 

WWW.VICE.COM

Senior Israel officials are using the Gaza Health Ministry's death numbers internally, months after both Israel and the U.S. claimed those figures should not be trusted.

Israeli intelligence services have studied civilian casualty figures released by the Hamas-run Ministry of Health in Gaza and concluded the figures were generally accurate, despite earlier public claims by U.S. and Israeli officials that the ministry’s statistics are manipulated. 

According to a story in Mekomit by Yuval Avraham, who last year broke news about the Israeli military’s use of AI for targeting purposes, the numbers were accepted for inclusion in briefings to senior Israeli officials after intelligence services conducted operations and analysis to monitor the health ministry’s information collection methods and its internal communications and determined the statistics were credible. An Israeli intelligence official confirmed the Israeli government's use of the Gaza ministry numbers to VICE News, while two officials from European intelligence services said they were widely used in official briefings internationally.

“The numbers are heavily relied up for official briefings on civilian casualties because with the exception of strikes on high-value targets, where senior officials are briefed on collateral damage, no civilian casualty figures or estimates are collected,” said the Israeli official, who cannot be identified in the media. “A lot of targets have been hit without prior analysis or estimates and there’s never any follow up collection.”

“You don't know exactly how many you killed, and who you killed," an IDF military targeter told Mekomit.

The Israeli official told VICE News that in the current military operation, which has destroyed most of Gaza’s infrastructure and displaced about two-thirds of its population, the rules of engagement for IDF’s artillery and airborne assets have been loosened, leading to thousands more strikes than typically conducted in past Gaza operations.

“The secret services looked at the health ministry’s collection methods and determined the numbers were generally credible, so instead of collecting their own information they decided to use the [Hamas] numbers.”

“There’s no possibility of collecting exact data in this situation but their system is generally transparent and credible,” said the Israeli official. “But only with civilian deaths, Hamas deaths simply aren’t reported.”

According to the Ministry of Health, which reports to Gaza’s Hamas-led government, at least 27,500 civilians have been killed and more than 63,000 wounded since Israel began military operations in response to the Oct. 7 attacks, which killed at least 1100 Israelis and left more than 250 people hostage. 

• Shocked 1

They can't do this for Ukraine?

WWW.CNN.COM

A group of 19 predominantly Democratic lawmakers is calling on Secretary of State Antony Blinken to provide answers about why he bypassed Congress last month to approve arms sales to Israel.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

They can't do this for Ukraine?

WWW.CNN.COM

A group of 19 predominantly Democratic lawmakers is calling on Secretary of State Antony Blinken to provide answers about why he bypassed Congress last month to approve arms sales to Israel.

I believe that the difference is that these are actual arms sales to Israel for which the US will be paid while the transactions with Ukraine represent either aid packages or drawdowns of existing inventory stocks.

• 3 weeks later...

An active duty US soldier set himself on fire yesterday in front of the Israeli embassy as a protest against the genocide. He died of his injuries. While he was burning he yelled "Free Palestine."

Police response involved one guy trying to put him out with a fire extinguisher and another guy pointing a gun at him yelling "get on the ground."

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

An active duty US soldier set himself on fire yesterday in front of the Israeli embassy as a protest against the genocide. He died of his injuries. While he was burning he yelled "Free Palestine."

Police response involved one guy trying to put him out with a fire extinguisher and another guy pointing a gun at him yelling "get on the ground."

I wonder if another guy told him to “freeze”. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

The guy setting himself on fire was mentally, emotionally, and spiritually checked out. Sad. 

He was, in fact, very checked IN. He had a history of being incredibly giving to people in need in his service work and he made statements before his protest that clearly articulated why he was doing this, knowing it was the most extreme form of protest against something he fundamentally and vehemently opposed. 

His statement prior to immolating himself was:

I am an active duty member of the US Air Force and I will no longer be complicit in genocide. 

I'm about to engage in an extreme act of protest, but compared to what people have been experiencing in Palestine at the hands of their colonizers it is not extreme at all. 

This is what our ruling class has decided will be normal.

• Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, CayceG said:

He was, in fact, very checked IN. He had a history of being incredibly giving to people in need in his service work and he made statements before his protest that clearly articulated why he was doing this, knowing it was the most extreme form of protest against something he fundamentally and vehemently opposed. 

His statement prior to immolating himself was:

Wow. What a soldier then. May he rest in peace. Imo, that's a hero honestly. 

4 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

I mean anyone who burns themselves to death over politics is a bit off. 

Maybe believe in something more than your next meal. He was complicit in genocide not by volition, but by actions of people who do not think of such men. He felt his pain acute like he should, and did the last thing on the list. So what excuses exist now for the Biden campaign?

3 hours ago, unogueen said:

Maybe believe in something more than your next meal. He was complicit in genocide not by volition, but by actions of people who do not think of such men. He felt his pain acute like he should, and did the last thing on the list. So what excuses exist now for the Biden campaign?

Guy killed himself, therefore it's Bidens fault? Ok then

Tell me you've never faced your own mortality without telling me you haven't.

Next meal, lol. Most of my life revolves around my next meal, stupid talking point that means nothing. 

On 2/27/2024 at 12:10 AM, TUFKAK said:

Guy killed himself, therefore it's Bidens fault? Ok then

Tell me you've never faced your own mortality without telling me you haven't.

Next meal, lol. Most of my life revolves around my next meal, stupid talking point that means nothing. 

I've actually lived in third world countries, with all the vague loose, security that entails. I didn't know what a candy bar was until I got to Canada. Share your thoughts or shut it.

3 minutes ago, unogueen said:

I've actually lived in third world countries, with all the vague loose, security that entails. I didn't know what a candy bar was until I got to Canada. Share your thoughts or shut it.

Not with someone like you

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

You shouldn't have edited lol. 

I try and not let people like him impact 

me so I edited it after I realized my mistake.

This airmen’s choice is an indictment on us, we failed him, he needed help and we missed it. I’m only alive because a gun misfired, I can never ridicule someone hurting so bad they took that decision because I was nearly in the statistic of service member who took their own life.

3 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

God damnit 

104 dead in a Gaza stampede after the IDF shot at aid trucks. 

The report:

WWW.CNN.COM

At least 53 people have died and 120 were injured in Israeli gunfire in Gaza city as they were waiting for food, according to several eyewitnesses and the spokesperson for the Palestinian Red Crescent, Ahmad Abu Al Foul.

At least 104 people were killed and 760 injured in a chaotic incident where Israeli troops opened fire as hungry Palestinian civilians were gathering around food aid trucks, according to the Palestinian Ministry of Health in Gaza.

CNN is unable to independently confirm these numbers.

People had swarmed around newly arrived aid trucks in the hope of getting food, when Israeli tanks and drones started shooting at the people in Haroun Al Rasheed Street in western Gaza City, in the Sheikh Ajleen area.

“Most” of the casualties were the result of aid trucks ramming people as everyone tried to escape Israeli fire, according to a local journalist in Gaza, Khadeer Al Za’anoun.

Al Za’anoun, who was at the scene and witnessed the incident, told that, though there were large crowds waiting for food to be distributed from aid trucks, the chaos and confusion which led to trampling only started once Israeli soldiers opened fire.

The tragedy comes as the death toll in the Gaza war surpasses 30,000, more than a half a million people in Gaza are on the brink of famine, United Nations agencies say, and as negotiations between Israel and Hamas reach a potentially pivotal moment.

An Israeli official told CNN the Israel Defense Forces did use live fire on people surrounding aid trucks as “the crowd approached the forces in a manner that posed a threat to the troops, who responded to the threat with live fire. The incident is under review.”

• Sad 1