Neo-Nazis march in Florida.

15 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's because he isn't and quite frankly, I'm getting more than a bit annoyed at characterizing him as either a troll or a contrarian.

In fact, the discussion no longer has any relevance whatsoever.  What's done is done and there's no point in beating the dead horse into glue.

I’ll actually speak up briefly in (limited) defense of contrarian viewpoints.

Granted, I don’t think it’s good to be contrarian just for the sake of being contrarian.  But I view contrarians as sort of the disciplinarians of discourse.  They often help discourage you from falling into groupthink, and force you to keep the foundations of your views and beliefs sound and well-defended.  Even if they’re ultimately wrong, they can serve a useful role.

There are limits, of course; too much contrarianism is counterproductive.  And it can be hard to distinguish between a sincere contrarian take and an attempt at trolling.  But I do think there is a difference, and that the former can be useful—at the proper dosage.

All said in full recognition that it’s SFLU’s forum, and he gets to make the call at the end of the day.

• True 1

I think a lot of the problem here is people talking past each other and responding to assumptions. 

That and, we're all pretty well acquainted with one another and there just isn't much to say about things that happen these days. 

But from the other side of it, I'm in a different community that has changed over the years and I feel like it's something different than what it was when I joined. And I'm thinking about leaving that community. There's no real inciting incident other than every interaction I have in it is just really sour and not fulfilling in a way it once was. I don't begrudge sbl if that's where he wound up with this place. 

Point being, nothing huge and disruptive has to be happening in someone's life for them to uproot something they've been a part of for over a decade. It can really just come down to the vibes feeling different than what they did in the past and their participation not being fulfilling anymore. 

• True 1
  • Hugs 2

14 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I think a lot of the problem here is people talking past each other and responding to assumptions. 

That and, we're all pretty well acquainted with one another and there just isn't much to say about things that happen these days. 

But from the other side of it, I'm in a different community that has changed over the years and I feel like it's something different than what it was when I joined. And I'm thinking about leaving that community. There's no real inciting incident other than every interaction I have in it is just really sour and not fulfilling in a way it once was. I don't begrudge sbl if that's where he wound up with this place. 

Point being, nothing huge and disruptive has to be happening in someone's life for them to uproot something they've been a part of for over a decade. It can really just come down to the vibes feeling different than what they did in the past and their participation not being fulfilling anymore. 

I mean, in this case the problem was two users claiming that he was defending Nazi’s. That was the only bad faith trolling or contrarianism in this thread. He didn’t even come close to that, he was pointing out they should get no national media attention for their viewpoints. To go from that to “you’re defending Nazi’s” is as bad faith as it gets. 

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

I’ll actually speak up briefly in (limited) defense of contrarian viewpoints.

Granted, I don’t think it’s good to be contrarian just for the sake of being contrarian.  But I view contrarians as sort of the disciplinarians of discourse.  They often help discourage you from falling into groupthink, and force you to keep the foundations of your views and beliefs sound and well-defended.  Even if they’re ultimately wrong, they can serve a useful role.

There are limits, of course; too much contrarianism is counterproductive.  And it can be hard to distinguish between a sincere contrarian take and an attempt at trolling.  But I do think there is a difference, and that the former can be useful—at the proper dosage.

All said in full recognition that it’s SFLU’s forum, and he gets to make the call at the end of the day.

I just don't believe that sbl was being contrarian at all, that he was genuinely speaking from his sincerely-held beliefs, and that it does a disservice to him to suggest otherwise.

• Halal 1

14 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I just don't believe that sbl was being contrarian at all, that he was genuinely speaking from his sincerely-held beliefs, and that it does a disservice to him to suggest otherwise.

Agreed. Everything people are labeling 'contrarian' clearly had a lot of thought behind it. He's swayed me several times.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, in this case the problem was two users claiming that he was defending Nazi’s. That was the only bad faith trolling or contrarianism in this thread. He didn’t even come close to that, he was pointing out they should get no national media attention for their viewpoints. To go from that to “you’re defending Nazi’s” is as bad faith as it gets. 

Also he was labled as a transphobe when there was no clear evidence that he was one. I saw someone compare him to that DVD kid that used to post here and that was COMPLETELY unfair.

• Halal 5

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Also he was labled as a transphobe when there was no clear evidence that he was one. I saw someone compare him to that DVD kid that used to post here and that was COMPLETELY unfair.

Nobody should ever be compared to that loser either.

• True 1

His main point was we shouldn’t be giving these Nazis coverage, which is a fair point.

I disagree with that personally as we should be publicly shaming them and their defenders, especially when the former President had Thanksgiving dinner with TWO Nazis, and the governor of Florida basically governs like he wants to be one.

• Halal 1

12 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

His main point was we shouldn’t be giving these Nazis coverage, which is a fair point.

I disagree with that personally as we should be publicly shaming them and their defenders, especially when the former President had Thanksgiving dinner with TWO Nazis, and the governor of Florida basically governs like he wants to be one.

Exactly. The problem with saying: "giving these Nazi's coverage is bad" is that it completely ignores how giving it coverage also raises awareness and rallies good people to help do something about it as well, usually overwhelmingly so vs. recruitment for the neo-nazis. It's not like covering the news is per se the same as amplifying a voice, it depends on how it's covered. 

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Exactly. The problem with saying: "giving these Nazi's coverage is bad" is that it completely ignores how giving it coverage also raises awareness and rallies good people to help do something about it as well, usually overwhelmingly so vs. recruitment for the neo-nazis. It's not like covering the news is per se the same as amplifying a voice, it depends on how it's covered. 

There are also good and bad ways of covering these types of events.

"A local white supremacy group marched to demand action on what they say are unfair local housing practices which are making homes unaffordable for the middle class."

"A local nazi group took part in a hate march, espousing their racist views and demanding that local minorities be stripped of home ownership."

• True 1
  • Halal 1

I suspect he left for a similar reasons, that caused me to stop posting in this subforum.

IMHO, he was one of the most engaging posters here.  He posted his opinions, and articulated reasons for his beliefs.  He didn't attack people, but would criticize ideas.  He learned, he grew, his positions evolved.  Even though we didn't interact a whole lot (my interests and his were normally different), I will miss reading his thoughts.

• True 1