Today we find out if you can refuse to serve gay weddings on religious grounds, and if up to $20k in student loans will be forgiven. UPDATE: 6-3 ruling in favor of religious business owner and against Biden's loan forgiveness

U4XJLITEUJMGDFDS32UZHRY6VA.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday is poised to rule on whether a Christian web designer from Colorado has a right to refuse to provide services for same-sex marriages based on constitutional free speech protections - a case that could upend state anti-discrimination laws.

student-debt-relief-rally-at-supreme-cou
WWW.POLITICO.COM

Two of the remaining cases are challenges to President Joe Biden’s student debt forgiveness program.

Up first, the "Colorado Website Case":

The First Amendment prohibits Colorado from forcing a website designer to create expressive designs speaking messages with which the designer disagrees.

GORSUCH, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which ROBERTS, C. J., and THOMAS, ALITO, KAVANAUGH, and BARRETT, JJ., joined. SOTOMAYOR, J., filed a dissenting opinion, in which KAGAN and JACKSON, JJ., joined.

• Sad 1
  • Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Up first, the "Colorado Cake Case":

I sorta agree. That would make it so a black person would have to accept home maintenance from a guy with a Confederate flag. 

I disagree with the bigots but I don't think we should be forced to serve anyone. 

• SaysWho? changed the title to Today we find out if you can refuse to serve gay weddings on religious grounds, and if up to $20k in student loans will be forgiven. UPDATE: 6-3 ruling in favor of religious business owner
1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

I sorta agree. That would make it so a black person would have to accept home maintenance from a guy with a Confederate flag. 

I disagree with the bigots but I don't think we should be forced to serve anyone. 

Just makes it easier for me to refuse to do business with chuds when they out themselves like this too.

• Hype 1

• SaysWho? changed the title to Today we find out if you can refuse to serve gay weddings on religious grounds, and if up to $20k in student loans will be forgiven. UPDATE: 6-3 ruling in favor of religious business owner and against Biden's loan forgiveness
3 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Matt Bruenig has a good Twitter thread explaining how Biden could institute loan forgiveness within the existing statutes, so here’s hoping Biden grows some balls and goes for it. 

Delay it until next year makes the most sense, what that in the news cycle around the election not bud light.

Just now, johnny said:

you can only have loans forgiven if you’re rich 

Or make stupid consumer spending choices, 100k on a credit card just declare bankruptcy. No worries. Student loans though you agreed to pay that back and it’s dishonorable not to!

My family could have benefited from 20k, nearly eliminating all our student loan debt.  Or all of it, if I didn't pay my debt off in early March 2020...

I still think we'd be saving 20k now, only for college to become more than proportionally expensive by the time our newborn daughter is 18.  We can't afford to save for her college for several years.  But paying that debt down, at a known interest rate, could be better than the risk of forgiveness ballooning costs even further two decades from now.  Not to mention how it could affect housing, used cars, etc.

I'm all for some forgiveness and IDR changes to help people out.  But target that relief.  And don't design the system for the government to leach interest off the majority of borrowers for 20 or 25 years.  That normalizes stupidly high amounts of debts that colleges will be thrilled about.  No one could be expected it to normally pay it off without a lucrative career, growing up rich, or paying for an extra bedroom for their parents someday.

6 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I never thought the executive branch had this authority.  Congress does though, so they need to enact a law that provides debt relief.

good thing nothing got done when dems had the house because a senator from arizona was busy jerking off lobbyists and mitch mcconnell 

• True 1