Today we find out if you can refuse to serve gay weddings on religious grounds, and if up to $20k in student loans will be forgiven. UPDATE: 6-3 ruling in favor of religious business owner and against Biden's loan forgiveness

Great read

WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Opponents accuse Alliance Defending Freedom, the conservative law firm behind a landmark Supreme Court case, of manufacturing lawsuits to advance its agenda during a decade-long battle against laws barring discrimination based on sexual orientation.

1 hour ago, TUFKAK said:

Damn pay wall.

Try this one. It’s a “gift” article. 

WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Opponents accuse Alliance Defending Freedom, the conservative law firm behind a landmark Supreme Court case, of manufacturing lawsuits to advance its agenda during a decade-long battle...

• Like 1

Oh hey, signed up for the SAVE thing, my student loan payments went from $173 a month to $26 a month, and they get forgiven after $10,000, which is cheaper than my initial loan of $16,000.

I thought of just paying it outright and getting rid of it, but this $26 a month is a drop in the bucket.

• Hugs 1

12 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Opponents accuse Alliance Defending Freedom, the conservative law firm behind a landmark Supreme Court case, of manufacturing lawsuits to advance its agenda during a decade-long battle...

But remember, atheists are the problem for making the flock feel bad over their invisible sky wizard nonsense.

• True 1

On 7/1/2023 at 2:32 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Education is a social service and there should never be a cost associated with it. Any other option is quite frankly illiberal 

Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures
Private schools should be an option doe—but they should receive zero state subsidies.

Current kludge of a system doesn’t even make sense from the perspective of industrial capital, which has to price the cost of education into its wages, making it less competitive internationally.  The only entity gaining from it is finance capital.  But then guess who has the industrialists (and the courts) by the balls these days…

1 hour ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures
Private schools should be an option doe—but they should receive zero state subsidies.

Current kludge of a system doesn’t even make sense from the perspective of industrial capital, which has to price the cost of education into its wages, making it less competitive internationally.  The only entity gaining from it is finance capital.  But then guess who has the industrialists (and the courts) by the balls these days…

I believe there should be no private options. Although if you have a functional public system then there should be very few private schools to begin with.

11 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Private schools breed classism, they should be destroyed.

Canada's system works really great, and kids of all income tend to go to school together, in as much as they live in the same catchment areas. You just go to the closest school, and all schools receive the same funding, and teachers are constantly rotated between schools. It helps that the school systems here are generally large (typically a public school system will encompass an entire metro/city area, with dozens/hundreds of schools), so it's easier to make the schools equal. Then at the post-secondary level, almost all universities are public, and people tend to just go to their local university unless there is a specific program not offered. Which university you go to doesn't tend to matter 95% of the time, as long as you graduated and got a relevant degree. 

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Canada's system works really great, and kids of all income tend to go to school together, in as much as they live in the same catchment areas. You just go to the closest school, and all schools receive the same funding, and teachers are constantly rotated between schools. It helps that the school systems here are generally large (typically a public school system will encompass an entire metro/city area, with dozens/hundreds of schools), so it's easier to make the schools equal. Then at the post-secondary level, almost all universities are public, and people tend to just go to their local university unless there is a specific program not offered. Which university you go to doesn't tend to matter 95% of the time, as long as you graduated and got a relevant degree. 

You neglect the big perk of the private schools.

Connection.

All the movers went there, they’re connected to those social circles, they hear the names, get exposed to those moving up. I shit talk Hopkins but I’ve never had to interview for a job in my profession, not even my first, my name gif floated to a manager who hired me. Everyone else in my NRP program went through multiple rounds of interviews, I was given a share day and a job offer on the way out the door. Hell, they created a position for me.

there can be no parity when this exists 

6 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

You neglect the big perk of the private schools.

Connection.

All the movers went there, they’re connected to those social circles, they hear the names, get exposed to those moving up. I shit talk Hopkins but I’ve never had to interview for a job in my profession, not even my first, my name gif floated to a manager who hired me. Everyone else in my NRP program went through multiple rounds of interviews, I was given a share day and a job offer on the way out the door. Hell, they created a position for me.

there can be no parity when this exists 

Oh for sure. And the fact that this doesn't exist in Canada (based on which school you went to, at least) is a great thing. Obviously rich people gonna rich, and there will always be nepotism and connections, but going to a school purely to assist with that is absurd.

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Oh for sure. And the fact that this doesn't exist in Canada (based on which school you went to, at least) is a great thing. Obviously rich people gonna rich, and there will always be nepotism and connections, but going to a school purely to assist with that is absurd.

If your goal is money, it’s not. It’s logical. It’s an easy roi

I also work with a fair amount of canucks who left Canada to be here so.

On 9/28/2023 at 4:06 PM, GeneticBlueprint said:

WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

I just toggle off javascript